PDA

View Full Version : A weird Vista...

gashcr
March 9th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I just wanted to share a very funny thing that happened today. In the store I work for we ( well, OK, I ) put PCLOS to a box we have for display with a very nice 22 inch display, essentially for ethic reasons... you know... I configured compiz on it and all the bells and whistles I could so people who like to mess around with it could appreciate the nice effects.

But today something almost scary happened...

A group of guys came into the store and one of them began to play with the PC. He was amazed with the effects, but confused at the same time because there was obviously something different about it. So he asked the other guys what they thought could it be that makes it look different. Then one of them step aside and said: "Oh, It obviously a weird Vista".

I was hearing from the other side of the counter, and I almost got knocked to the ground... half laughs... half disappointment... I didn't even bother waking up and going there to explain them what they had in front... I was bind by perplexity...

So, today I discovered there's a new version for Windows... Vista Ultimate Weird.

EXCiD3
March 9th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Haha thats pretty good, now as a good open source citizen you better start making sure you tell them its NOT vista before they start thinking so!

gashcr
March 9th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Maybe I should put a wallpaper that says... "I'm not Vista"

darklemming54
March 9th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Did the theme have transparencies? It doesn't seem like a hard mistake to make considering that vista is the only widely used OS on a PC that uses a lot of effects. Even if they have used linux before, its not always easy to tell the operating system that your using from just a minute or so of using it (unless it had a PCLOS wallpaper, of course).

angry_johnnie
March 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM
A Linux wallpaper would be a good idea :-)

smartboyathome
March 9th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Maybe I should put a wallpaper that says... "I'm not Vista"

Do I hear someone calling for this (http://smartboy.salocinlinux.org/db/Wallpapers/Not%20Vista%20but%20Ubuntu%20wallpaper.png) wallpaper? Or perhaps this (http://smartboy.salocinlinux.org/db/Wallpapers/Not%20Vista%20but%20Ubuntu%20wallpaper%202.png) one? Both done by me. :)

gashcr
March 9th, 2008, 06:55 AM
JAJA, very cool ones!!

To daklemming: No, it has no transparencies by default, only when you move the wobbly windows :P. And I tried to give it a lot some personality by changing the panel position and size to 50%... centered, jaja... Oh, and the iconset, maybe I'll post an image tomorrow.

FuturePilot
March 9th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Lol, that's funny. A weird Vista :lolflag:

Teber
March 9th, 2008, 11:22 AM
ok. so there's plenty of people who think windows is the only OS computers run on. i could understand their thinking ubuntu a weird windows. but why would VISTA be the first thing to come to mind?!?

it sounds like some pleonasm... WEIRD vista when vista is already weird? the wow began and so many people still want cling to xp...

NightwishFan
March 9th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I am so going pc jacking, now I heard this.

forrestcupp
March 9th, 2008, 05:18 PM
but why would VISTA be the first thing to come to mind?!?

They probably knew they weren't looking at a Mac, a lot of people haven't even heard of Linux, and Vista is the newest Windows OS that is on everyone's mind. Also Vista is the only Windows OS that comes with compositing capability.

Teber
March 9th, 2008, 08:03 PM
that would be why then

Moustacha
March 11th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Hahahahaha, had this happen yesterday at uni. Showed my friend compiz on my laptop and he's like "it's like some sort of weird vista". Couldn't help but laugh and think of this thread.

yatt
March 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Given that it is possible to find people that do not know what a Mac is, I am not in the slightest surprised that a group of average people could not recognize Linux on sight. I'd be more surprised if they actually knew what it was!

Moustacha
March 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
funny thing was, he used the laptop to show me some of the stuff he's doing in his unit. didn't notice it was evince and not adobe, haha.

futureproof
March 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM
This thread is cool, making fun of people who don't know something you know, how funny, hahahaha. This is another great thread whose sole purpose is to mock people who use windows, I'm overwhelmed by the originality of the OP, I mean 33 beans and we're at this level. Fantastic!!! This really does embody everything that "Ubuntu" stands for!!
[/sarcasm]

Maybe telling the people that it was a feature available to linux that was creating the great effects and not some "weird version" of vista would have been a positive step in the right direction. Then again it wouldn't have gotten so many laughs, well done! you made fun of someone!

NightwishFan
March 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Personally. I say just let it be, or ask the admins to sort it out. I know you mean well, but posting like so may just be asking the others to flame you as well.

Chame_Wizard
March 11th, 2008, 12:00 PM
:lolflag:whahaha CompiZ,a Weird Vista!!!!People are easily influenced,thank god there 's more than stupid M$:guitar:.

Arkenzor
March 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
My compiz supposedly rather "looks like a Mac". Guess that's because my main panel is on the top of the screen...

NightwishFan
March 11th, 2008, 12:07 PM
My compiz supposedly rather "looks like a Mac". Guess that's because my main panel is on the top of the screen...

I remember thinking Windows was the only usable os for years. It was implied macs were trash and I had never heard of linux. It is sad, but true, how blinded the average computer user is.

hyper_ch
March 11th, 2008, 12:08 PM
It is sad, but true, how blinded the average computer user is.

It doesn't apply only to computers but to just about everything else also...

futureproof
March 11th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Personally. I say just let it be, or ask the admins to sort it out. I know you mean well, but posting like so may just be asking the others to flame you as well.

Thanks for understanding where Im coming from!

I know I will eventually get flamed for it, I also know the admin will do nothing about it. Theres always an reason to allow such drivel!

Linuxratty
March 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Lol, that's funny. A weird Vista :lolflag:

it is indeed...And speaking of Vista,have you seen this?
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1254

Chame_Wizard
March 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM
they are getting desperate :guitar:

forrestcupp
March 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM
This thread is cool, making fun of people who don't know something you know, how funny, hahahaha. This is another great thread whose sole purpose is to mock people who use windows, I'm overwhelmed by the originality of the OP, I mean 33 beans and we're at this level. Fantastic!!! This really does embody everything that "Ubuntu" stands for!!
[/sarcasm]

You did the same thing to the OP that he did to the people at the store, only you did it in such a way that the person can know he is being ridiculed.

gashcr
March 13th, 2008, 06:19 AM
[/sarcasm]

Maybe telling the people that it was a feature available to linux that was creating the great effects and not some "weird version" of vista would have been a positive step in the right direction. Then again it wouldn't have gotten so many laughs, well done! you made fun of someone!

I don't know if you recall what gave me the creeps as I posted this. It was the guy saying "Oh, It obviously a weird Vista"... I mean... OBVIOUSLY. For God sake, people should stop doing this. Instead of making out-of-base assumptions, they should stop for a while and ask as the guy who was playing with the PC. At least he took the care to notice it was not Windows what he had in front.

And, by the guy, if you took the time to read... I was listening from inside the counter, what do you want me to do, jump the counter to explain them or telling off it was a linux distro. Anyway, they never asked me, so why should I bother? If they are happy with whatever they use, let them be, if they like it and want to know they'll ask me as some other people has done.