PDA

View Full Version : What is your web browser?

StOoZ
March 9th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I use firefox, the version that comes with gusty.
pretty sad for its performaces with flash sites.

so what about your folks?
:guitar:

corney91
March 9th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Opera. Sometimes Firefox3

spupy
March 9th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Iceweasel 2.0.0.11. I would use Firefox 3 beta, but some of my fav plugins don't work there yet.
I wanted to switch to something more light some day, but nothing really matches Firefox in functionality, as far as i know

Btw, why don't you make this thread a poll?

FuturePilot
March 9th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't blame Firefox for it freezing because of Flash. That's a Flash issue that Adobe won't fix. It will happen with any web browser. Anyways I use Firefox 2

mthei
March 9th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Opera and Firefox.
Opera is my main browser, but for some sites, it's a pain to temporarily allow cookies (webmail, etc), so for that I use Firefox. Both are fine browsers, but I do prefer to use Opera.

CaptainCabinet
March 9th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I use Firefox 2.
I've tried other browsers but I've always preferred the fiery fox. :)

rfruth
March 9th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Firefox 2.x with as few add-ons as possible (Opera = backup)

Bachstelze
March 9th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Firefox 3, Konqueror sometimes.

GOROSSI
March 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Firefox been using it since it was Firebird Netscape before that, I use Opera for sites that have problems not many but a few, and a more irritating few that I have to use Irritating (rendering) Errors for:lolflag:

OrangeCrate
March 9th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Firefox 3

quanumphaze
March 9th, 2008, 01:06 AM
At the moment I am using Swiftweasel 3b3. Right click context menus work right now.
All my favourite addons work except Tab Mix Plus.

PS I agree, Flash is really slow and buggy.

selda
March 9th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I use Epiphany, love the bookmarks in it. I would consider Firefox, but first it needs to improve the displaying of text. It just looks ugly.

sports fan Matt
March 9th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Opera 9.5..I have tried every flavor of Firefox and it just doesnt run smoothly...Flasdh is a constant issue and overall, Firefox is like a car that starts, runs for a few mins then stalls, then you cant get it restarted, sorry folks bu i've tried firefox since 2004,..lol

Jay Jay
March 9th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Swiftweasel, I couldn't take Firefox's 100% CPU usage.

ice60
March 9th, 2008, 01:10 AM
i use the lastest opera beta from here -
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/
one comes out every 10 days, or so. i'm only using it because flash works with it, otherwise i'd use the stable release of opera. when the new opera comes out i'll stick with that. my opera is totally hacked to bits, i've added about 500 extras to it lol

at first i couldn't even get flash working with the opera beta, but i worked out what the problem was in the end, but i thought about using a windows browser and wine for a few seconds :shock: i wonder if anyone's doing that and how stable it is??

yatt
March 9th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Konqueror 4 > Konqueror 3 ~= Firefox

bruce89
March 9th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I use Epiphany, love the bookmarks in it.

That's my reason. Almost as good as the rugby.

spupy
March 9th, 2008, 02:03 AM
At the moment I am using Swiftweasel 3b3. Right click context menus work right now.
All my favourite addons work except Tab Mix Plus.
PS I agree, Flash is really slow and buggy.

I just installed Firefox 3beta3. The Tab Mix Plus from mozilla.com isn't compatible, but i downloaded a nightly build from the website of the extension.
http://tmp.garyr.net/dev-builds/
But don't select 0.3.6.1, it will give you an error. Choose 0.3.6.0 instead.
For the flash install FlashBlock. It replaces each embedded flash with a button, so if you want to run a flash element, you click this play button and the flash runs. You can whitelist some websites like youtube if you need.

Btw, my Firefox is called Fireweasel, I don't know why! :lolflag:

p_quarles
March 9th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Konqueror 3.5.8 for me. For the few sites that don't work right with, I can usually count on Iceweasel 2.0.0.12.

Superkoop
March 9th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Firefox
I've tried a couple others, but I guess I just prefer FF over the others.

Deeta
March 9th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I am a recent Firefox convert :D

Before that I used Opera for almost a decade.
And while Firefox feels indeed sluggish I can bask in its FLOSSy glow :D

The browser of my dreams would be KHTML/Webkit browser which is compatible to all Firefox plugins though ^-^

Tuning_In
March 9th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I use firefox and epiphany.

AndyCooll
March 9th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Firefox, since I can use my bookmarks and plugins with Linux, XP (when at work) and even FirefoxPortable when necessary.

:cool:

ODF
March 9th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Firefox since I was a windows user, using version 3 right now because of Hardy but I miss Firefox 2.

kryth
March 9th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Used opera for last 3 years, but i'm a FireFox convert now.

LO Matt
March 9th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Epiphany primarily8), but firefox a little due to some needed extensions sometimes

An_Dynas
March 9th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Love Kazehakase ... but still use FF most of the time.

vishzilla
March 9th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Firefox 3 b3
Epiphany- secondary browser

Dr.Ninethousand
March 9th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Swiftweasel, 32bit for flash support, even though I'm on Kubuntu64..

hhhhhx
March 9th, 2008, 04:55 AM
f3b3, but right now in using the terminal as a browser

olejorgen
March 9th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Mostly opera

ubuntu27
March 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Konqueror 4 > Konqueror 3 ~= Firefox

Konqueror 4!?
Are you using KDE 4?

What is it that you like about Konqueror 4? ANy spacial features that Konqueror 3.5.x does not have?

Konqueror 3.5.8 for me. For the few sites that don't work right with, I can usually count on Iceweasel 2.0.0.12.

I am also using Konqueror :) Konqueror 3.5.9
Sometimes konqueror does not display flash movies. So in those cases I use Icewesel 2.0.0.12

Apocalypse
March 9th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Netscape 9005 in both linux and windows. It's faster than any of the others in my machine.

gashcr
March 9th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Firefox 2.x, it have done a very good job for me. Waiting for FF3 to be more polished.

And... I like the fox... it's a nice mascot.

3rdalbum
March 9th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Epiphany.

I think everyone who has tried to install Epiphany on their Debian/Ubuntu computer has accidentally installed a Boulderdash game :-)

MONODA
March 9th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I think everyone who has tried to install Epiphany on their Debian/Ubuntu computer has accidentally installed a Boulderdash game
XD yeha i did sudo apt-get install epiphany XD
i love lynx but i still use firefox for the graphic stuff.

Darkagentx
March 9th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Firefox here. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get away from IE completely; I need it to use the Blackboard system the uni uses; some of it's jsp applets crash firefox for some reason. ;_;

DoktorSeven
March 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Firefox3. I can't use any other browser because I have to have NoScript (Seamonkey, I know, but I'd rather use Firefox).

NightwishFan
March 9th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Kazehakase. Otherwise Firefox 3 for doing anything that needs some extra features.

angry_johnnie
March 9th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Firefox 2, mostly. Otherwise it's Opera and, to a lesser extent, Epiphany. Sometimes I use w3m just for kicks. :-({|=

Iehova
March 9th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Firefox 3, a huge improvement on version 2, IMHO.

billgoldberg
March 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Firefox 3 beta 3.

I gave up on firefox 2 and used epiphany, but firefox 3 is to awesome.

Jim!
March 9th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I just use firefox, would you reccomend having an alternate web browser in Ubuntu?

Zlatan
March 9th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Epiphany
looks i'm deciding to stay with gnome apps:)

I use firefox, the version that comes with gusty.
pretty sad for its performaces with flash sites.

so what about your folks?
:guitar:

Matakoo
March 10th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Konqueror 4, Konqueror 3.x, Firefox 3 in order of preference. And if it wasn't for flash I wouldn't even have firefox installed. Adobe should die a painful death for making their nasty plugin work on only gecko-based browsers.

Arkenzor
March 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Opera 9.50 beta because they managed to get flash working again (got to give them props for coping with adobe's stupidity), and kazehakase 'cause Opera rocks but doesn't look good in GTK environments.

P.S.

Firefox should depend on xkill

But I guess that's an unfair thing to say since Opera isn't even open-source, and both kazehakase and epiphany actually use gecko for rendering.

p_quarles
March 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
And if it wasn't for flash I wouldn't even have firefox installed. Adobe should die a painful death for making their nasty plugin work on only gecko-based browsers.
Nonsense.

sudo apt-get install konqueror-nsplugins

imT
March 10th, 2008, 07:27 PM
firefox, was love at first site.
i installed once and i never found something better.

Hallvor
March 10th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Adobe should die a painful death if they made their nasty plugin work on only gecko-based browsers.

Fixed your quote... :)

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9806/snapshot3wi9.jpg

Biggus
March 10th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I'll use pretty much whatever browser is open at the time.

I do use links sometimes if I'm browsing from a shell account.

Colonel Kilkenny
March 10th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Nonsense.

Fixed your quote... :)

Nonsense :)

Adobe did break Flash for all not-gecko browsers when they started using xembed (or something like that, someone actually said that it isn't really xembed but some mozilla thingy). And for me it is still broken with Konqueror (which isn't big deal as I'm using Opera 9.50).

I'm guessing you're both either using old Flash ( r48 with security problems ) or else you have KDE 3.5.9

p_quarles
March 10th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I'm guessing you're both either using old Flash ( r48 with security problems ) or else you have KDE 3.5.9
Using the latest version of Flash, but you're correct, KDE is 3.5. If it doesn't work with 4, that would indicate the Netscape wrapper isn't working yet.

Matakoo
March 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Nonsense.

Which works in 32-bit KDE 3.5.x. If you have an idea of how to make that work in 64-bit KDE 4 I am all ears (and no, installing the kde4 equivalent of that package together with nspluginwrapper is not enough). Or 64 bit KDE 3.5.x for that matter. In both cases, Konqueror just locks up when it comes across flash content.

Colonel Kilkenny
March 10th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Using the latest version of Flash, but you're correct, KDE is 3.5. If it doesn't work with 4, that would indicate the Netscape wrapper isn't working yet.

Actually, I haven't tried with 4 (I do have it) but in 3.5.8 it causes nspluginwrapper to segfault.
And for some reason I'm not getting 3.5.9 (which apparently fixes the problem) from the repos (maybe there's still some sort of dependency problem or something... ) and when it's not that big problem for me I'm not going to spend time on that.

SunnyRabbiera
March 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Firefox 2, I am eager for firefox 3 and when flash in opera is fixed :D

p_quarles
March 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Which works in 32-bit KDE 3.5.x. If you have an idea of how to make that work in 64-bit KDE 4 I am all ears (and no, installing the kde4 equivalent of that package together with nspluginwrapper is not enough). Or 64 bit KDE 3.5.x for that matter. In both cases, Konqueror just locks up when it comes across flash content.
Well, I'm on AMD64, and nspluginwrapper works fine here. Didn't have to do anything special, so I don't know what to tell you.

Actually, I haven't tried with 4 (I do have it) but in 3.5.8 it causes nspluginwrapper to segfault.
And for some reason I'm not getting 3.5.9 (which apparently fixes the problem) from the repos (maybe there's still some sort of dependency problem or something... ) and when it's not that big problem for me I'm not going to spend time on that.
I'm on 3.5.8, actually, but using Debian Lenny. This must be a packaging issue with Ubuntu.

Matakoo
March 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Well, I'm on AMD64, and nspluginwrapper works fine here. Didn't have to do anything special, so I don't know what to tell you.

Well, it works here too - just not with flash (adobe acrobat reader plugin works. The only reason for having adobe's own reader installed). It didn't in Gutsy, Debian Etch, or MEPIS 7 at least...in Hardy I only have KDE 4 so can't check whether it works better in KDE 3.5.8/9 than it used to.

qazwsx
March 10th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Konqueror flash issue is fixed. You can also embed flash in KMPlayer (not in Gutsy version).

Konqueror is very nice browser. #1 if you ask me :)

I have swiftweasel as backup browser.