PDA

View Full Version : FSF member...

CaptainCabinet
March 8th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hey people. :)
Just yesterday I decided to join the Free Software Foundation. I'm always spending (and wasting) my money on stuff like video games (I love them but I think it's time for a break. :)) and various other things. I thought it would make me feel much better giving my money to a good cause and now that I'm a Linux follower, the FSF seemed like a perfect organization to help out with.
I'm curious though as to if there are any other members of the FSF on these forums?
I've chosen to be an Above & Beyond member but won't actually be able to join until Tuesday as that's when I get my money. I want to join now. :(
Well I just thought I'd share that with everyone. :) Once I join I'll probably post some photos and when I get my shiny membership card I'll change my avatar to a picture of me with it. As a little memoir of sorts.

Forrest Gumpp
March 8th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Good for you, CaptainCabinet!

Strike back at the dumber-downers. Redirect you disposable income away from those who would constrict your choices and effectively set themselves up as tax-farmers over the natural right to free speech.

CaptainCabinet
March 8th, 2008, 10:50 PM
:) Thanks.
I've been wanting to give some money to some sort of organization for a while but I never knew which one. Seeing as I love technology and hate the restrictiveness of Micro$oft, the FSF is perfect.

khensucat
March 9th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Just curious - are you still going to use Ubuntu, then?

DoctorMO
March 9th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Just because the FSF are pure and ubuntu isn't doesn't mean we as morals can't support those higher ideals.

khensucat
March 9th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Just because the FSF are pure and ubuntu isn't doesn't mean we as morals can't support those higher ideals.

Did I say you couldn't? :confused:

sloggerkhan
March 9th, 2008, 10:19 AM
The closest I've gone to something like this is becoming an EFF member, which isn't quite the same thing... lolzer.

CaptainCabinet
March 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Just curious - are you still going to use Ubuntu, then?

Well I currently use Linux Mint. I started out in the Linux world with Ubuntu so I'm certainly not going to abandon it.
Once the final release of Ubuntu Hardy Heron comes out and definitely going to give that a whirl. :)

ssam
March 9th, 2008, 01:29 PM
i am a member. (even though i use a bit or closed source stuff and i am not 100% convinced that GPL3 is better than 2).

The FSF do lots of development work, bash, gnash, GNUPDF, etc

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=625206 has a list of various other FOSS places you might want to donate.

CaptainCabinet
March 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM
i am a member. (even though i use a bit or closed source stuff and i am not 100% convinced that GPL3 is better than 2).

The FSF do lots of development work, bash, gnash, GNUPDF, etc

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=625206 has a list of various other FOSS places you might want to donate.

Thanks for that. I'll check it out. :)