PDA

View Full Version : Opera

sports fan Matt
March 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I realize its not oss, but am i a bad person for using and installing Opera?

A. Firefox/swiftweasel/gecko based engines just seem to be SLOW!!!. Im not sure why this isbut it takes so much longer to execute webpages and is it me, but it seems to take forever to customize it to max it out to have it ruin fairly fast?

B. GTK versus Whatever Opera uses. Im not sure what rendering engine FF uses, but its horrible. It eats up mem. like a hog and swiftweasel isnt that much better..Granted I only have 384 MB Ram, but Firefox on Windows Flew, so why is Firefox on Ubuntu lacking in the speed..etc

C. I am not rantiong, im just making an observation and just wondering why in the world it would make that much of a difference..Am i the only one who feels this way?

bruce89
March 8th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I realize its not oss, but am i a bad person for using and installing Opera?

[QUOTE=sox fan Matt;4476568]B. GTK versus Whatever Opera uses. Im not sure what rendering engine FF uses, but its horrible. It eats up mem. like a hog and swiftweasel isnt that much better..Granted I only have 384 MB Ram, but Firefox on Windows Flew, so why is Firefox on Ubuntu lacking in the speed..etc

GTK+ is a UI toolkit, not a rendering engine. GNOME and Xfce use it, whereas KDE and Opera use QT. It means that Opera will stick out like a sore thumb in GNOME. Firefox uses Gecko, which is notorious for slowness.

C. I am not rantiong, im just making an observation and just wondering why in the world it would make that much of a difference..Am i the only one who feels this way?

No, I hope for WebKit to answer my prayers.

corney91
March 8th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Opera may be closed-source but, as a company, it's pretty open if you think about it (well, comared to other companies who don't make any programs work with linux).
There are some good skins, which make it fit in with GNOME eg. you can't go wrong with MeGuiDdo and a dark GTK theme.
I've loved Opera for a long time, but when I installed Firefox3 I nearly converted, but it's still a little unstable so I'll have to make the decision when it's finished ;)

jken146
March 8th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I like Opera a lot -- shame it's proprietary.

I use Epiphany for its wonderful bookmarking, although it does render pages more slowly than Opera (but faster than firefox usually). In addition, I find that Epiphany is much faster in distros where it's comiled around XULRunner instead of gecko/FF as is the case in Ubuntu.

SomeGuyDude
March 8th, 2008, 07:07 PM
If sites like Imageshack and Myspace didn't blow up Opera 9.5b I'd be using it. Plus there's quite a few extensions that, honestly, I can't live without.

CaptainCabinet
March 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM
It's completely your choice if you want to use Opera. As long as it's made to work on Linux then you can use it. Your not a "bad person" for using it. :)

bruce89
March 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I use Epiphany for its wonderful bookmarking, although it does render pages more slowly than Opera (but faster than firefox usually). In addition, I find that Epiphany is much faster in distros where it's comiled around XULRunner instead of gecko/FF as is the case in Ubuntu.

Hardy has Epiphany using XULRunner 1.9. At last you can be free of having Firefox installed.

LaRoza
March 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I love Opera, using it now for everything. (Mail, IRC, RSS, Browsing, even note taking)

3pinner
March 8th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I'm also a big opera fan, and after installing Ubuntu I immediately installed both Opera and Thunderbird simply because I've used them for quite some time and they work for me.
The Opera bet version (9.5) is super super fast, (surprised me) but still a bit buggy as they develop it. I'm using it because it can handle the latest version of Flash, and the current version can't
(Thank you Adobe for that :mad: )

LaRoza
March 8th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm also a big opera fan, and after installing Ubuntu I immediately installed both Opera and Thunderbird simply because I've used them for quite some time and they work for me.
The Opera bet version (9.5) is super super fast, (surprised me) but still a bit buggy as they develop it. I'm using it because it can handle the latest version of Flash, and the current version can't
(Thank you Adobe for that :mad: )

The newest build doesn't have that bug when you leave a flash page it may crash I hear.

sports fan Matt
March 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM
When I try an upgrade (im using 9.25) using Tools>Check for updates i get three folders: Control tar.gz, Data. Tar.gz and Delbian Binary..What one downloads the latest version and what must I do to install it?

LaRoza
March 8th, 2008, 08:15 PM
When I try an upgrade (im using 9.25) using Tools>Check for updates i get three folders: Control tar.gz, Data. Tar.gz and Delbian Binary..What one downloads the latest version and what must I do to install it?

Just go to the Opera site and download the version you want.

Installing with it does an upgrade, and it won't change your settings.

jken146
Use the .deb -- save it somewhere like the Desktop and double-click on it.

SunnyRabbiera
I would use opera more often if flash worked in it, even the beta has taken a turn for the worst in that department.

LaRoza
March 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I would use opera more often if flash worked in it, even the beta has taken a turn for the worst in that department.

Odd, I use it all the time to watch movies on youtube and google video...

olejorgen
March 8th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Everything that's not open source is not evil. I've used opera since 6.x and I'am not planning to stop anytime soon. In 9.5 session managemet finally gets a upgrade, and partial sync will be included.

I've always felt that opera is faster than firefox.

p_quarles
March 8th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Odd, I use it all the time to watch movies on youtube and google video...
I do the same with Konqueror, which also "doesn't work with Flash" (according to many on these forums, at least).

corney91
March 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Flash works pretty well on 9.5b for me, except when switching between tabs, while flash is on one of the tabs, then it goes a bit dodgy...

sports fan Matt
March 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Doesnt Konmqueror download alot of kde files even if you werre on gnome and not loaded up the Kbuntu enviroment?

Edit: Had another pic that had a friend of mine and I took during a st patricks day event, but it has bud light and Steve is holding a rolling rock, so to be safe, I put that one up..(I figured the other one wouldnt be an issue/against forum guidelines...

p_quarles
March 8th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Doesnt Konmqueror download alot of kde files even if you werre on gnome and not loaded up the Kbuntu enviroment?.
Yes. For those of us who primarily use KDE applications, that's not really a problem, though.

LaRoza
March 8th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Flash works pretty well on 9.5b for me, except when switching between tabs, while flash is on one of the tabs, then it goes a bit dodgy...

Yes, but I hear that was fixed recently.

Don't know how to get that yet, but it means that 9.50 stable will not have that problem.

corney91
March 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Yes, but I hear that was fixed recently.

Don't know how to get that yet, but it means that 9.50 stable will not have that problem.
Can't wait!:)

pjalegria
March 8th, 2008, 10:49 PM
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/ where you can have the lasted Opera snapshot...

LaRoza
March 8th, 2008, 11:18 PM
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/ where you can have the lasted Opera snapshot...

Thanks. I think I will deal with the current beta I am using until the release. It is managable, for me.