PDA

View Full Version : Tried Hardy Alpha 5 Live CD

Glugglug
March 8th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I know its not much of a test but running the live cd is enough to tell me its miles better than Gutsy. At least it connects to the internet through the LAN port.

spamzilla
March 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hardy is currently very stable and an excellent release, but it is still very buggy. GVFS and FF3 are the main problems.

Hopefully come the end of April, the majority of bugs are fixed, and Hardy is a success :)

forrestcupp
March 9th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Hardy is currently very stable and an excellent release, but it is still very buggy. GVFS and FF3 are the main problems.

Hopefully come the end of April, the majority of bugs are fixed, and Hardy is a success :)

How can something be very stable and very buggy at the same time?

SomeGuyDude
March 9th, 2008, 12:53 AM
How can something be very stable and very buggy at the same time?

It's hard to explain.

Everything worked perfectly for me, it just felt "off". Stuff was draggy for me, animations were jumpy, little things like that.

Imagine a car that never breaks down but the steering wheel feels strange and it's difficult to move the stick shift.

jbonll05
March 9th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Hey Guys; These are "Alpha" releases and do have some bugs. Alpha 6 is now out, I am using it to write this. There will be a Beta release around 20March. It will be reasonably stable. 24Apr will be the 8.04 release, and late in May 8.04.1 will be released. JB

kamaboko
March 9th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Hardy Alpha 5 was a mess on my Vostro.

ODF
March 9th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Still unstable, still buggy ... but worth every issues with the new screen resolution thing.

Since I'm a HDTV user as a computer screen it helps me a lot.

It was a real pain in gutsy but in hardy it's still a flawless.

fetisha
March 9th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Tried the live CD and the screen resolution was weird (alpha 6). It wouldn't let my resolution go bigger than 800x600, so everything was big and odd-looking.

phrostbyte
March 9th, 2008, 04:16 AM
It's not very stable at the moment. Especially Network Manager, which seems to crash every five minutes. It's an alpha, remember that. :) I am sure that Hardy will be a very stable release, and they will delay it if need be.

drbob07
March 9th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I tried the Alpha 5 live CD, and it didn't get my wireless up and running out of the box. No clue whats up there, seeing as both Feisty and Gutsy did this (on the Live CD)... but it was enough to discourage me from doing a full install. I've had enough issues with my wireless driver, I think I'll keep it simple, stupid. (Until Hardy is RC anyways)

Glugglug
March 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Done the full install now on another machine .
asrock K7S41GX
Athlon XP 2000 +

768 RAM

I'm using Firefox 3 but I don't think its an improvement .

Screen resolution won't stay at the default setting that I apply.
On startup it goes back to a high resolution.

But I can do far more with Alpha 5 than I ever could with Gutsy final release.