PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Backports Project -- anyone interested?

jdong
December 5th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Hey guys, I'm planning to start a 'backports' project for Ubuntu -- but only provide packages for desktop users, who constantly demand new versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, K3b and such!

I do not plan anything as far as servers, X, major apps (gnome/kde), etc --- those are best left to the Ubuntu team.

Would anyone be interested in helping me package?

TravisNewman
December 5th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Nice idea! If I knew how to package I would ;)

mark
December 5th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Hey guys, I'm planning to start a 'backports' project for Ubuntu -- but only provide packages for desktop users, who constantly demand new versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, K3b and such!

I do not plan anything as far as servers, X, major apps (gnome/kde), etc --- those are best left to the Ubuntu team.

Would anyone be interested in helping me package?jdong - I don't know how to package, but I guess I could learn - or, I could be a "test-case" for your packages - I have a history of breaking stuff...<g>

poofyhairguy
December 5th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Would anyone be interested in helping me package?

Great idea. The community thanks you!

jdong
December 5th, 2004, 04:10 PM
yay, time to bug sourceforge for free stuff!

kastorff
December 5th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Very good idea...as Hoary diverges more and more from Warty, it's far too easy to break Ubuntu Linux trying to get the latest versions of a few key apps.

stoneguy
December 5th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Not sure just how I could fit in, but am interested.

HiddenWolf
December 5th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Oh, that just might persuade me not to upgrade from hoary to the next unstable release, if you could make this work.

I don't like development releases, but I'd hate to be stuck with some package for 6 months if something better is available. :-)

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 12:23 AM
It's definitely going to be a community-driven project -- you guys tell me what packages you want!

I'll start filing the Sourceforge paperwork tomorrow. Hopefully, they'll approve the project!

Infatuated_iPod
December 6th, 2004, 02:29 AM
I would love to help in any way that i could, i am by all means a newbie, but i want to help in any way possible! :)

TravisNewman
December 6th, 2004, 02:53 AM
jdong, something that is obviously necessary: testing.
It would be good to have an installation of the current stable release and the current development release, to see how they work in both. For some this is a bit of a hassle, if only one physical machine is available. Is there any way to set up a chrooted install of Ubuntu as it is now? I know how in Gentoo, since you do everything manually, but most definitely not in Ubuntu.

I'd definitely set that up on my machine if anyone knows how, and once it goes live I'll write up a how-to for setting up the chroot environment for the backports project specifically

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 03:05 AM
chroots are chroots. They work the same way from distro to distro.

It IS an excellent idea. I'll probably have 3+ chroots when I start the project off..

P.S. Experience... Don't worry about it! I'm cramming the Debian Maintainer's guide and some APT repository howto's right now! LOL

TravisNewman
December 6th, 2004, 03:56 AM
So if chroots are chroots, how do you install Ubuntu into the directory you want to chroot into? With Gentoo, doing it all manually, it's done exactly the same. Since there's an installer that you have to boot off of, how do you tell the installer to install to a different directory?

Well, I'll do some research when I get some free time, or start another topic, as this isn't the best place for it.

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 12:42 PM
So if chroots are chroots, how do you install Ubuntu into the directory you want to chroot into? With Gentoo, doing it all manually, it's done exactly the same. Since there's an installer that you have to boot off of, how do you tell the installer to install to a different directory?

Well, I'll do some research when I get some free time, or start another topic, as this isn't the best place for it.

well, why not use rsync -avx / . to copy over the entire tree?

You might have to do a pointless mount --bind chroot_dir new_chroot_dir, just to create a new filesystem for rsync to skip!

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 12:58 PM
New Projects Pending Review

* Ubuntu Backports Project (UNIX name: ubuntu-bp, registered 2004-12-06 11:56)
Number of business days registration has been pending: 0
It may take up to 2 business days for new project registrations to be processed.

Cross our fingers!!

ubuntu-geek
December 6th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Awesome Idea.. I'm in the game...

Alessio
December 6th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Awesome Idea.. I'm in the game...
Me too, but you must do an how-to for explain it :) I'm waiting..

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Once the SF project is approved, I'll post site docs on how to backport packages...

Trust me, it's as easy as untarring, patching, and dpkg-buildpackage

HungSquirrel
December 6th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Count me in. I've only ever done RPM packaging, though.

gfg
December 6th, 2004, 04:27 PM
I'm in too. I'll help in any way i can.

poofyhairguy
December 6th, 2004, 08:59 PM
me too. I'll help if possible.

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Ok, while the SF project is pending review...

The rough layout of the repository:

jdong@jd64:/var/apt/ubuntu $ find .
./dists
./dists/warty-backports
./dists/warty-backports/main
./dists/warty-backports/universe
./dists/warty-extras
./dists/warty-extras/universe
./dists/warty-extras/contrib
./dists/warty-backports-staging
./dists/warty-backports-staging/main
./dists/warty-backports-staging/universe
./dists/warty-extras-staging
./dists/warty-extras-staging/universe
./dists/warty-extras-staging/contrib

The main repository to focus on is warty-backports, which will contain backports of prepackaged debian sid or ubuntu development packages ONLY. In other words, take a Hoary .orig.tar.gz, apply the .diff.gz to the folder, then recompile it in a Warty environment... So not much work involved.

The -staging areas are like a 'testing' branch, to make sure everything works. Some testing will be done on the -staging area, so we don't release broken packages (uh oh...).

warty-extras is an area reserved for packages in addition to Ubuntu's. As a result, there's no 'main' component (duh). The universe component will include stuff packaged by me, while the contrib component will be community contributed packages.

I'm thinking about a warty-updates distribution with unofficial updated packages (i.e. home-brew updates not found in Debian's Sid or Ubuntu's dev branch), but that's on the horizon and sketchy.

---

Naming conventions:

Sticking with Ubuntu's super-long version strings, I'll stick to this convention...

Let's take firefox as an example. The latest hoary version is:
mozilla-firefox_1.0-2ubuntu3_i386.deb

When I port it over, it'll probably look like:
mozilla-firefox_1.0-2ubuntu3-warty+backportedfrom-ubuntu-hoary1_i386.deb

If I find my retardedness broke the backport, the next point release will be:
mozilla-firefox_1.0-2ubuntu3-warty+backportedfrom-ubuntu-hoary2_i386.deb

jdodson
December 6th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Ok, while the SF project is pending review...

The rough layout of the repository:

jdong@jd64:/var/apt/ubuntu $ find .
./dists
./dists/warty-backports
./dists/warty-backports/main
./dists/warty-backports/universe
./dists/warty-extras
./dists/warty-extras/universe
./dists/warty-extras/contrib
./dists/warty-backports-staging
./dists/warty-backports-staging/main
./dists/warty-backports-staging/universe
./dists/warty-extras-staging
./dists/warty-extras-staging/universe
./dists/warty-extras-staging/contrib

The main repository to focus on is warty-backports, which will contain backports of prepackaged debian sid or ubuntu development packages ONLY. In other words, take a Hoary .orig.tar.gz, apply the .diff.gz to the folder, then recompile it in a Warty environment... So not much work involved.

The -staging areas are like a 'testing' branch, to make sure everything works. Some testing will be done on the -staging area, so we don't release broken packages (uh oh...).

warty-extras is an area reserved for packages in addition to Ubuntu's. As a result, there's no 'main' component (duh). The universe component will include stuff packaged by me, while the contrib component will be community contributed packages.

I'm thinking about a warty-updates distribution with unofficial updated packages (i.e. home-brew updates not found in Debian's Sid or Ubuntu's dev branch), but that's on the horizon and sketchy.

---

Naming conventions:

Sticking with Ubuntu's super-long version strings, I'll stick to this convention...

Let's take firefox as an example. The latest hoary version is:
mozilla-firefox_1.0-2ubuntu3_i386.deb

When I port it over, it'll probably look like:
mozilla-firefox_1.0-2ubuntu3-warty+backportedfrom-ubuntu-hoary1_i386.deb

If I find my retardedness broke the backport, the next point release will be:
mozilla-firefox_1.0-2ubuntu3-warty+backportedfrom-ubuntu-hoary2_i386.deb

i think this is great. however i wonder what you might add that this does not:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/BreakMyUbuntu

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 09:18 PM
i think this is great. however i wonder what you might add that this does not:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/BreakMyUbuntu

GAIM's getting old; mono isn't too up to date; scribus, abiword are both getting old, the list goes on of stuff that have been demanded for in this forum but nobody has addressed.... K3b is quite a few versions old....

castrojo
December 6th, 2004, 09:53 PM
I'm all for backports of a few selected apps, but there should be a concerted effort to consolidate all these packaging efforts.

It'd be nice to have one deb line with everything I need that's QA'd and tested with Warty. Personally for me, something like Firefox and Tbird 1.0 to hold me over until Hoary.

Speaking of ... what is the plan for testing packages? What about reporting bugs? Packaging requests? Regression testing? Web of trust? Bugzilla? Mailing list? Has anyone checked to see how backports.org does business? What have they learned? How can that help us? Anyone experienced with packaging willing to have some kind of mentoring system? etc. etc. etc.

I'm just bringing this up now because it would suck to end up like Fedora, half a dozen people packaging the same stuff, it's all incompatible, and everyone blames the other packagers for whatever breakage happens when a user adds 5 repositories and blows up their system.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if we (as in the collective Ubuntu users) are going to do this, it needs to be done right and all together in a way that's as high quality as Ubuntu itself. This will be difficult.

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Just as proof-of-concept that I'm not APT-illiterate, I backported GAIM (a relatively small package) from Hoary to Warty, and it installs perfectly from a local APT source! YAY:

jdong@jd64:/var/apt/ubuntu $ dpkg-query -p gaim
Package: gaim
Priority: optional
Section: net
Installed-Size: 9596
Maintainer: Robert McQueen <robot101@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1:1.0.3-1-warty+backportedfrom-ubuntu-hoary1

Tada! go superlong version names!!

NOTE: I'm working on a bunch of shell scripts to simplify Packages.gz updating... work with my improvisational shell scripting here!

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 09:58 PM
I'm all for backports of a few selected apps, but there should be a concerted effort to consolidate all these packaging efforts.

It'd be nice to have one deb line with everything I need that's QA'd and tested with Warty. Personally for me, something like Firefox and Tbird 1.0 to hold me over until Hoary.

Speaking of ... what is the plan for testing packages? What about reporting bugs? Packaging requests? Regression testing? Web of trust? Bugzilla? Mailing list? Has anyone checked to see how backports.org does business? What have they learned? How can that help us? Anyone experienced with packaging willing to have some kind of mentoring system? etc. etc. etc.

I'm just bringing this up now because it would suck to end up like Fedora, half a dozen people packaging the same stuff, it's all incompatible, and everyone blames the other packagers for whatever breakage happens when a user adds 5 repositories and blows up their system.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if we (as in the collective Ubuntu users) are going to do this, it needs to be done right and all together in a way that's as high quality as Ubuntu itself. This will be difficult.

I see your point.

Testing Packages:
Packages will be held off in a staging section while we test them. For the warty-backports section, I'll be personally compiling and packaging the backports. Bug reporting and Feature requests will be done through standard Sourceforge Project Services methods. So will the bugreporting.

As far as I see, backports.org is a one-man packaging effort with community testing.

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 10:25 PM

repo update script working. It was quite easy... lol

I'm gonna experiment with more of the packages I want to see.

JonAtkinson
December 6th, 2004, 11:06 PM
I have some experience packaging Debian packages.

I'd like to help :-)

Are you planning on setting up a mailing list or something?

--Jon

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 11:16 PM
I have some experience packaging Debian packages.

I'd like to help :-)

Are you planning on setting up a mailing list or something?

--Jon

As soon as I get my resources from SF, I'll set up mailing lists... though I personally like to keep as much as possible to the Bug Tracker system... easier to manage, easier to access.

kleeman
December 6th, 2004, 11:28 PM
It might be worth running a poll at some point to measure demand. My votes in order would be:

1) Firefox
2) k3b
3) abiword
4) scribus
5) lyx (1.3.5 is in hoary?)
6) kate

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Once I get the sf project, you guys can ask for whatever you want, at the Feature REquests tracker.

I'll probably use Apache stats to determine popularity.

Rancoras
December 6th, 2004, 11:38 PM
I can see it now, jdong, the texstar of the Ubuntu community.

Alessio
December 7th, 2004, 12:10 AM
When you have finished an Howto, put it here http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/BreakMyUbuntu

jdong
December 7th, 2004, 12:24 AM
I can see it now, jdong, the texstar of the Ubuntu community.

and I was thinking that, too! LOL

jdong
December 7th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Firefox is done compiling, LMAO (actually, I didn't check for a while as I worried about gravitational fields around slanted cones for a test tomorrow)

ANYWAY,

I was thinking about other archs. I can easily provide binary-i386's, but the other archs, not so easy. I have an Athlon64,but I personally don't like 64-bit linux... And I don't have a mac!!

Anyone willing to cooperate in the other archs?

regeya
December 7th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Firefox is done compiling, LMAO (actually, I didn't check for a while as I worried about gravitational fields around slanted cones for a test tomorrow)

ANYWAY,

I was thinking about other archs. I can easily provide binary-i386's, but the other archs, not so easy. I have an Athlon64,but I personally don't like 64-bit linux... And I don't have a mac!!

Anyone willing to cooperate in the other archs?

jdong, if you'd get rid of that inane sig, I'd consider helping. ;) Just kidding.

I wish I could help with other architectures. If I can help in any way with the backporting process I'll be more than happy to lend a hand, when I can.

I'll add something to the mix, and this one isn't very big: dvd+rw-tools. The version in Warty doesn't work with the stock Warty kernel. I installed the dvd+rw-tools from hoary, and I don't know if there are any issues with doing this, but the less potential problems the better.

If I can figure out how to make "official" Ubuntu packages, I'd be willing to compile the latest libogg and libvorbis for inclusion. libvorbis-1.1 has a lot of improvements.

Are you planning on just providing .debs much like the Debian Backports project does, or do you plan to provide an Apt repository?

Also, do the Ubuntu package maintainers use special CFLAGS?

jdong
December 7th, 2004, 04:01 AM
jdong, if you'd get rid of that inane sig, I'd consider helping. ;) Just kidding.

I wish I could help with other architectures. If I can help in any way with the backporting process I'll be more than happy to lend a hand, when I can.

I'll add something to the mix, and this one isn't very big: dvd+rw-tools. The version in Warty doesn't work with the stock Warty kernel. I installed the dvd+rw-tools from hoary, and I don't know if there are any issues with doing this, but the less potential problems the better.

If I can figure out how to make "official" Ubuntu packages, I'd be willing to compile the latest libogg and libvorbis for inclusion. libvorbis-1.1 has a lot of improvements.

Are you planning on just providing .debs much like the Debian Backports project does, or do you plan to provide an Apt repository?

Also, do the Ubuntu package maintainers use special CFLAGS?

Sig -- No, that's staying! It captures a great moment and ties in with Debian!

Dvd+rw-tools -- sure.

I plan to abuse (err, use) sourceforge to provide an APT repository. The backports.org project also provides an APT repository!

CFlags -- I think that's built into the debian/rules file. I stick with default -- I don't want to cause mysterious program failures because of a bad CFlag choice.

poofyhairguy
December 7th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Well..my hoary crashed again tonight...so I'm going back to warty.

I volunteer to be an official tester.

Bring it on.

daniels
December 7th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Hi guys,
Unfortunately, if you use backports -- despite the fact they originally come from Hoary -- we won't be able to support you through our BTS at all. I would say the most productive thing to do in this case would be to just test Hoary; it's a little bit more unstable, but you do get support and fixes from all our developers, and it saves you guys all the effort of creating and backporting the packages (for reference, Firefox takes a *LONG* time to build), and especially also resyncing new versions back from Hoary.

I would most strongly suggest you test Hoary, so that way we can have a stable, tested, and kick-**** platform to release from in six months. If everyone just sorta tests from random builds from other projects, then we have no feedback on the official packages, and you lack the instant gratification effect.

jdong
December 7th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Hi guys,
Unfortunately, if you use backports -- despite the fact they originally come from Hoary -- we won't be able to support you through our BTS at all. I would say the most productive thing to do in this case would be to just test Hoary; it's a little bit more unstable, but you do get support and fixes from all our developers, and it saves you guys all the effort of creating and backporting the packages (for reference, Firefox takes a *LONG* time to build), and especially also resyncing new versions back from Hoary.

I would most strongly suggest you test Hoary, so that way we can have a stable, tested, and kick-**** platform to release from in six months. If everyone just sorta tests from random builds from other projects, then we have no feedback on the official packages, and you lack the instant gratification effect.

That is a valid concern for a developer. However, that's why I'm backporting less than 20 packages altogether. There's still gonna be people who like ALL the updates that Hoary has; I know I'm one of them. Just some people want a pseudo-production computer (if that's even possible!), with some updates for the apps they actually need...

Especially this early in Hoary, there's too much development activity for most people to live on!

I hope this won't tick off the developers too much...

dmatrix
December 7th, 2004, 04:34 PM
I have been running Hoary as well and been backporting things back into Warty. I do run production desktops and servers with Warty and do not want to break them with Hoary at this point. That is why I am backporting. Since I have backported packages from Sid into Woody its a fairly easy process to accomplish (with a few packages being the exception).

So here is what I have done on a updated clean Warty box:
- add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted universe multiverse
- sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get install build-essential
- mkdir src ; cd src
- sudo apt-get --compile source mozilla-firefox

The first time thru there will more than likely be some missing development packages. Just apt-get all the ones that it complains about, then remove all the sources and try again.

Using this method I have backported this so far and fairly quickly on a modern box:
mozilla-firefox 1.0-2
mozilla-thunderbird 0.9-6
rox-filer 2.0.1
gnome-ppp

I am working on a Gaim 1.1.0 build right now that was a little trickier. I had to edit debian/control and change it from libgnutls11-dev to libgnutls10-dev and so far it is compiling.

So after you get all your new Warty backported debs built to setup an apt repo all you have to do is either install apache or proftpd and point it to the folder where all your debs are.
Then run a command similar to this and you have an apt repo for easy quick installation of your newly backported packages:
dpkg-scanpackages warty /dev/null | gzip -9c > warty/Packages.gz

Now add a new line to your /etc/apt/sources.list simliar to this:
deb ftp://YourHostName/ warty/

and you are now in business.

regeya
December 7th, 2004, 05:40 PM
- sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get install build-essential
- mkdir src ; cd src
- sudo apt-get --compile source mozilla-firefox

Thanks for pointing this out. I had been doing apt-get source mozilla-firefox then dpkg-buildpackage. I guess I hadn't checked the apt-get manpage closely enough.
:D

And to those who're concerned about the backporting going on: Maybe some people will expect their system to upgrade cleanly; I have to think that most of us are aware that we're potentially fudging up our systems by donig this. And I'll be damned if I'm installing Hoary just to run the latest Firefox, Scribus, and k3b. :P

daniels
December 7th, 2004, 07:57 PM
That is a valid concern for a developer. However, that's why I'm backporting less than 20 packages altogether. There's still gonna be people who like ALL the updates that Hoary has; I know I'm one of them. Just some people want a pseudo-production computer (if that's even possible!), with some updates for the apps they actually need...Unfortunately, this isn't a given: Firefox 1.0, for example, is actually buggier than Firefox 0.9.3. You also get strange interaction issues; f.e. if you backport xorg without xresprobe, things will probably break badly. I understand this is a bad example since you've stated you won't be touching stuff like X, but the interactions really are incredibly subtle, and I'm worried that this could lead to breakage that we haven't seen thus far.

I don't want to discourage you or dampen your enthusiasm in any way, but I just think that it will lead to more incredibly subtle and damaging bugs than anyone thought (e.g. where 'upgrading' from Firefox 0.9.3 to 1.0PR1 led to Firefox segfaulting every time a click caused a JavaScript popup window), and will just be more problematic than anything, especially as six months really isn't long for the bleeding edge if you're desperate for the newest version of Firefox.

jdong
December 7th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Yes, but you have to admit it's better than the current idea of switching sources.list to Hoary, install firefox, then go back to Warty...

Either way, I'll start the project, and if it doesn't work out and too many things break, I'll scrap the efforts.

Backports would probably end as soon as the first preview release of Hoary is released.

arekmenner
December 7th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Sign me up. If you need anything beyond actual compiling, I can work with it, as well.

poofyhairguy
December 7th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Yes, but you have to admit it's better than the current idea of switching sources.list to Hoary, install firefox, then go back to Warty...

Either way, I'll start the project, and if it doesn't work out and too many things break, I'll scrap the efforts.

Backports would probably end as soon as the first preview release of Hoary is released.

As long as you only backport of few programs, plenty of people will one day use hoary just to get the Xorg. I'll use hoary after helping you test these backports, I miss daily updates. I just wish Hoary wasn't so unstable.

regeya
December 7th, 2004, 11:16 PM

You are aware that you can have both warty and hoary in sources.list, and pin warty at a higher priority, right? That'd be a better way of doing it, IMHO...at least easier...

...naturally, though, as Hoary diverges further from Warty, you'd have more problems, though (I already was) which is why I'm glad you're wanting to put together a repository of prebuilt backports. :D

Has the Sourceforge application gone through? Know anything about the status?

jdong
December 7th, 2004, 11:23 PM
You are aware that you can have both warty and hoary in sources.list, and pin warty at a higher priority, right? That'd be a better way of doing it, IMHO...at least easier...

...naturally, though, as Hoary diverges further from Warty, you'd have more problems, though (I already was) which is why I'm glad you're wanting to put together a repository of prebuilt backports. :D

Has the Sourceforge application gone through? Know anything about the status?

1. Yes, I know all about pinning :). However, as Hoary gets new libraries, you'll be forced to mix more and more Hoary libs with Warty, until your Warty is no longer Hoary. Plus, some newly mixed libs may not get security updates and such.

2. The application is still pending review.

jdong
December 7th, 2004, 11:24 PM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-bp/

YAY, we're approved!

jdong
December 7th, 2004, 11:42 PM
http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net/

Add the backports lines as directed.

Let's get Firefox, K3b, and friends out of staging!!

TravisNewman
December 8th, 2004, 12:21 AM
So is there going to be a restricted and a universe as well?

kleeman
December 8th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Anything there yet? I added the lines as directed and apt reports it ignores the main and universe repository of warty-backports-staging
Great job by the way! :-D
I think if only a select set of packages are there then
development of hoary won't be affected...I got addicted to regular updates with Fedora.

jdong
December 8th, 2004, 12:26 AM
So is there going to be a restricted and a universe as well?

There's a universe;

i'm not sure about restricted and multiverse.... Not sure if SF.net would approve of that. Will ask them.

TravisNewman
December 8th, 2004, 12:34 AM
AH yeah I meant to say multiverse :)

jdong
December 8th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Anything there yet? I added the lines as directed and apt reports it ignores the main and universe repository of warty-backports-staging
Great job by the way! :-D
I think if only a select set of packages are there then
development of hoary won't be affected...I got addicted to regular updates with Fedora.

Oops, I assumed SF.Net servers were still running Debian, where I could just call dpkg-deb... so much for that!

Fixed now... Using rsync to sync package lists.

Staging should have k3b 0.11.7, firefox 1.0, and Gaim 1.0.3.

jdong
December 8th, 2004, 01:26 AM
GOD is SF slow @ downloading!

poofyhairguy
December 8th, 2004, 01:42 AM
GOD is SF slow @ downloading!

I second that. Five hours for Firefox.

kleeman
December 8th, 2004, 01:46 AM
I'll second that! apt picked up k3b k3blibs mozilla-firefox and gaim for upgrade but I gave up - the d/l speed here said gaim would take 7 hours yikes!

jdong
December 8th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Yeah, I'm workin with the SF.net people. Apparently, they won't let you serve stuff from your project web services without getting approval.

I knew this, so I mentioned it very very clearly in my application, and asked them if it was OK. No response; they just approved the project and ignored that request.

Anyway, I filed another support ticket, and they've been pretty snappy to respond so far!

Hopefully by tomorrow you guys can get your updated K3b and Firefox.

P.S. Firestarter 1.0 is backported, too! YAY

jdong
December 8th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Things look good now; getting 285KB/s!

jdong
December 8th, 2004, 03:13 AM
If someone'd like to add a section about the backport repositories in the Wiki, please do so! Thanks!

oh yeah, put the standard big-fat-warning about the -staging section!

dare2dreamer
December 8th, 2004, 06:50 AM
If I can get a vote in, I'd love to see an up to date package for inkscape.

jdong
December 8th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Sure. I'm working on xine/gxine right now, inkscape is next on the list.

P.S. It seems like SF.net hasn't resolved the slowness issue yet; sorry!

P.P.S: Speed issues seem sporadic! Try restarting the download multiple times.

Alessio
December 8th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Lettura del database ... 61645 file e directory attualmente installati.)
Preparativi per il rimpiazzo di gaim 1:1.0.0-1ubuntu1.1 (usando .../gaim_1%3a1.0.3-1-warty+backportedfrom-ubuntu-hoary1_i386.deb) ...
Spacchetto il rimpiazzo di gaim ...
Configuro gaim (1.0.3-1-warty+backportedfrom-ubuntu-hoary1) ...

I've installed gaim :)
Two things:
1) An howto for help you
2) A list of package released or in testing..
3) We make packet request here?

jdong
December 8th, 2004, 11:07 PM
http://sourceforge.net/news/?group_id=125877

All new packages -- staging and released, will be announced in the project news area. You can always use a web browser to view the repository.

New package requests go into the Release Feature Requests (RFE) tracker: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=125877&atid=704005

After you test a package in -staging and it works, file a bug report in the bugs tracker, with category 'Tested and Working': http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=125877&atid=704002

Do not post requests or problems here!

kleeman
December 9th, 2004, 05:37 AM
OK I tried abiword 2.2.1 and it seems OK. How much testing do you want before it is flagged as OK? I opened about 6 different documents (MS word and .abw files) and it works fine. I can hold off for a week if you like...

jdong
December 12th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Well, I first do check debian's bug database and Ubuntu's bugzilla for any outstanding issues.

If it seems to run fine for your daily purposes, then there are probably no packaging or library issues.

JonAtkinson
December 13th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Jdong,

I'm considering starting work on a gaim-encryption pacakge later on this evening. The current (unofficial) debs suffer from an unresolvable dependency with libstartup-notification0, so I'm aiming to fix that. I'd like to work on a pure 'Warty version', but I'm also going to put together a version which is compatible with the gaim backport, (specificly the version I'm running: gaim_1.1.0-1-warty+backportedfrom-ubuntu-hoary1_i386.deb)

Once this is done, would you consider it for acceptance into warty-backports?

Let me know either way, you can email me at jatkinson at gmail dot com.

Cheers.

--Jon

jdong
December 13th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Jdong,

I'm considering starting work on a gaim-encryption pacakge later on this evening. The current (unofficial) debs suffer from an unresolvable dependency with libstartup-notification0, so I'm aiming to fix that. I'd like to work on a pure 'Warty version', but I'm also going to put together a version which is compatible with the gaim backport, (specificly the version I'm running: gaim_1.1.0-1-warty+backportedfrom-ubuntu-hoary1_i386.deb)

Once this is done, would you consider it for acceptance into warty-backports?

Let me know either way, you can email me at jatkinson at gmail dot com.

Cheers.

--Jon
Ok, I'll consider it for inclusion.

P.S. about libstartup-notification --- I compiled gaim 1.1.0 against warty's version of that. GAIM does depend on a higher version though... let me know exactly the problem,.

shimon
December 13th, 2004, 03:04 PM
i start such a thing when warty frozze rebuilding from the debian reps some stuff

shimon
December 14th, 2004, 08:07 AM
can you back port kernel 2.6.9 my friend needs it for a driver and so do a lot more of other people

flibblesan
December 14th, 2004, 05:02 PM
JDong, you are a backporting God! Thank you so so much for these!

jdong
December 14th, 2004, 05:04 PM
can you back port kernel 2.6.9 my friend needs it for a driver and so do a lot more of other people
Backporting a kernel will break Warty's ABI, something I really don't want to do! Also, 2.6.9 in Hoary was just released, plus there seems to be issues with NVidia/GLX and this new kernel...

So, no, not right now.

xerxian
December 16th, 2004, 01:36 AM
I have backported (using dmatrix's method here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=30326&postcount=42)), firefox for amd64, let me know if anyone wants it and I will upload it somewhere.

I'm also backporting other packages like gaim.

jdong
December 16th, 2004, 01:38 AM
I have backported (using dmatrix's method here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=30326&postcount=42)), firefox for amd64, let me know if anyone wants it and I will upload it somewhere.

I'm also backporting other packages like gaim.

I want to hold off on AMD64 inclusion for the ubuntu backports project for now... I need to think through how to support other architectures.