PDA

View Full Version : iPhone SDK announcement: Now we wait...

Mr. Picklesworth
March 8th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Those who don't know what I am on about (where have you been?!), here's a link that branches off to a recording of the event as well as a quick roundup.
http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/full/~3/247084820/iphone-sdk-event-see-it-in-all-of-its-glory

I think this is going to work out well for interoperability and unity amongst the underdogs here. With MacOS X and Linux being both similar platforms thanks to their Unixish roots and how Apple shares a lot of stuff with the free software community (though they rarely admit it), there is a bright future ahead with Windows gradually disintegrating into old hat.

I am particularly pleased with Apple's iPhone SDK stuff, since it is going to really get developers using OpenGL in a very powerful way with a platform that is obviously worth supporting. DirectX doesn't stand a chance.

Having said that, I am also a little bit displeased by their SDK announcements since I was minutes from seriously deciding to get a Nokia N810. Now doing so seems it would be a dangerous choice, especially if I compare Apple's very sharp SDK with Maemo! (Granted, Apple's SDK only runs on a Mac, which is a piece of hardware I am not interested in owning).

Now I must wait for something like an iPod touch but that does not sacrifice microphone or camera, has a bigger high resolution screen (similar to N810), and which runs Linux. Heck, I may still settle for an iPod touch if it liked Linux (and had bluetooth hardware). Looks like I'm back to waiting for Intel's MIDs or OpenMoko again, since the N810 suddenly looks a bit pricy with the iPhone open for development. Fresher competition is bound to shake things up a bit more.
Gah, this handheld internet gadget battle is an endless loop of anticipation!

hhhhhx
March 8th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Yay!!

SunnyRabbiera
March 8th, 2008, 07:26 AM
thats cool, great opportunity for us :D

FranMichaels
March 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM
One has to look at the fine print in the iPhone SDK agreement.

http://blog.mozilla.com/rob-sayre/2008/03/06/apple-bans-firefox-spidermonkey-lisp-lua-ruby-python-rhino-java-opera-gcc/

I'm no longer surprised though. Any non-free system, something like this can happen.

:popcorn:

kd0afk
July 22nd, 2009, 11:29 PM
It would be nice if Steve Jobs would realize that people who write code everyday just to keep linux running are PERFECT candidates for writing apps. I can't believe the ignorance that accompanies the greed surrounding windows and apple. Steve J. may have spawned a revolution with apple but morally he is a caveman.