PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone outraged by Enom shutting down sites?

dbqp
March 8th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Hi all,

Just curious on where others stand on the enom (.com registry company) complying with the US government request to shut down certain Cuban .com sites owned by a European company with servers located in the Carribean?

I have posted a topic here (http://www.databankqp.net/viewtopic.php?t=25), but would like to know what the Ubuntu community response is to this tyrannical act???

Glaxed
March 8th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Um, depends on the content?
Could you tell us more, I am interested.

dbqp
March 8th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Take a look at the link I posted - many links to educate yourself on this subject,

In short, Enom was requested by the US Government to shut down sites which promoted Cuba as a travel destination. Now, the site owners are in Spain and the Servers are off-shore. Enom did not have to comply or even respond. But since Enom is a "US Business" they complied.

My question is if all domain registrars based from the US will bend such as this, what does it mean to open .com domains as they stand now and will the US Government push their way into other areas. Once the gate is open...

mouseboyx
March 8th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Yes, basically if this is just a start at the US filtering content, I'm opposed to any governmental middle manning whatso ever. NO FCC! NO filtering, censoring!!!

mouseboyx
March 8th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Does open DNS allow this???

dbqp
March 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Does open DNS allow this???

That's what's so disconcerning! Once that door is open...

I just wish it would become a major story in relation to internet rights and where that "grey" area lies...if there is even a grey are to begin with.

How can the US have rights in and of itself to dictate internet law?

SZF2001
March 8th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Man, you know what? Our forefathers would have wanted us to start a revolution right about now - first Christians take over the White House (Yea, I said it, what are you going to do? It's not a good idea to think of the economy and your country's well being with some fantasy ghost as your middle man), and now, slowly and surely, the Bill of Rights is becoming some old document.

Hey guys, I'm sure your all excited for our new RFID chips, right! And hey, that Amero sure looks promising! Take down domain sites too, I mean China does it so it must be KAWAII or something ^__^ ... Hey, those computers are cool! Let's just put 'Trusted Computing' chips on them, to make everyone feel soft and fuzzy on the inside, and at the same time watch whatever they do! People in general like Windows, so let's just push this awesome DRM stuff on them! Invasion of Privacy? That's just some old piece of paper, guys!

(Hopefully you catch the sarcasm)

It sure isn't the 90's anymore, and with the Iraq war and all this crap going on (SCANDALS UP THE WAZOO), it's just time to make a new liberation for free people.

yabbadabbadont
March 8th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Right or wrong, if a company does business in a country, any country, then they have to obey the laws of that country. Search for all the stories on Yahoo and such operations in China.

As for the US controlling the root DNS, we paid for the development, and initial deployment, of the internet, so we get to call the shots. Don't like it, create your own with your own rules. :p :lol:

(have fun laying new undersea cable to route around the US ;))

futureproof
March 8th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Right or wrong, if a company does business in a country, any country, then they have to obey the laws of that country. Search for all the stories on Yahoo and such operations in China.

As for the US controlling the root DNS, we paid for the development, and initial deployment, of the internet, so we get to call the shots. Don't like it, create your own with your own rules. :p :lol:

(have fun laying new undersea cable to route around the US ;))

It would be pretty cheap now with the economy spiraling into depression :)

st0n3cutt3r
March 8th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Man, you know what? Our forefathers would have wanted us to start a revolution right about now - first Christians take over the White House (Yea, I said it, what are you going to do? It's not a good idea to think of the economy and your country's well being with some fantasy ghost as your middle man), and now, slowly and surely, the Bill of Rights is becoming some old document.

Hey guys, I'm sure your all excited for our new RFID chips, right! And hey, that Amero sure looks promising! Take down domain sites too, I mean China does it so it must be KAWAII or something ^__^ ... Hey, those computers are cool! Let's just put 'Trusted Computing' chips on them, to make everyone feel soft and fuzzy on the inside, and at the same time watch whatever they do! People in general like Windows, so let's just push this awesome DRM stuff on them! Invasion of Privacy? That's just some old piece of paper, guys!

(Hopefully you catch the sarcasm)

It sure isn't the 90's anymore, and with the Iraq war and all this crap going on (SCANDALS UP THE WAZOO), it's just time to make a new liberation for free people.

Be careful, or you'll get yourself arrested talking like that.

The robot mafia supports you, but don't tell no one! Spread the word!

*looks for information on acquiring citizenship in a different country*

JacobRogers
March 8th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I'm not particularly bothered by it, instead of a .com they could use a .co.uk or .co.fr or whatever is most appropriate for their country. It's not like Cuba embargo is some new secret policy we're just now finding out about. It's been in place probably as long as most of us on this board have been alive.

Glaxed
March 9th, 2008, 08:31 PM
The situation is pretty dissapointing, but I don't feel that there is anything that can be done.
Neccessary evil and all.

DeadSuperHero
March 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM

No kidding.
Funny thing, a friend of mine and I always jokingly talk about buying a small island and start a true democracy there. Every Linux developer could live there, and corporations such as IBM, Google, Canonical, and various foundations of the FSF and Blender Foundation could all be there, not have to pay taxes, etc.

And for labor? Well, how about just getting those people who keep trying to sneak past our border? They'd be integrated right into the social system.

And another thing, everyone gets a credit system, based on the work they do. Your identity is your money, in a Star-Trek-esque fashion.
Unfortunately, islands, government institutions, and materials cost a lot of money, meaning the credit system would have to be implemented later.
Imagine, though, a whole island of Linux/FOSS developers. Male and female.

If it doesn't happen on Earth, maybe the moon?

battlesound
June 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM
No kidding.
Funny thing, a friend of mine and I always jokingly talk about buying a small island and start a true democracy there. Every Linux developer could live there, and corporations such as IBM, Google, Canonical, and various foundations of the FSF and Blender Foundation could all be there, not have to pay taxes, etc.

And for labor? Well, how about just getting those people who keep trying to sneak past our border? They'd be integrated right into the social system.

And another thing, everyone gets a credit system, based on the work they do. Your identity is your money, in a Star-Trek-esque fashion.
Unfortunately, islands, government institutions, and materials cost a lot of money, meaning the credit system would have to be implemented later.
Imagine, though, a whole island of Linux/FOSS developers. Male and female.

If it doesn't happen on Earth, maybe the moon?

You may be joking, but this is exactly the only other option we have in the US. The north american union is going to start the fan **** thing. Too bad the only candidate to really change anything in government is Ron Paul and he's being discriminated against by the media and other politicians... if that says anything about how many politicians are a part of this elite group who controls the US and wants us to keep fighting some "war" in Iraq and now Iran is "obviously bad".

Anyone who want to counter the movement of technology to control us, contact me. We need to get an efficient group of educated people together before it gets chaotic.