PDA

View Full Version : Music player error messsage " no plugin installed"

ryan
December 5th, 2004, 02:28 AM
In music player I browse to a location where I have MP3 s a try to load them and tthe message that I get is "There is no plugin installed to handle a MP3 file. Am I doing something wrong obviously. I used the same program with FC2 and 3 and NP at all. I am a ubuntu mewbie and need some help, so far I like very much what I have seen. tks

ryan
December 5th, 2004, 02:42 AM
Ok found the solution in one of the other forums..

HOWTO: Tweaking Ubuntu after your first installation.

Enable MP3 support in Rhythmbox.
Quote:
1. sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.8-mad

or what I did was:

Enable Universe in Synaptic.
Quote:
From your desktop select Computer > System Configuration > Synaptic Package Manager you will be asked to enter your password. Goto Settings > Repositories you will see (2) grayed out boxes click both of them, then click the Reload button.

then select gstreamer0.8-mad to install and it makes sure that all the dependencies are there as well very cool great job..

poofyhairguy
December 5th, 2004, 02:46 AM

Quote:

or what I did was:

Quote:
From your desktop select Computer > System Configuration > Synaptic Package Manager you will be asked to enter your password. Goto Settings > Repositories you will see (2) grayed out boxes click both of them, then click the Reload button.

then select gstreamer0.8-mad to install and it makes sure that all the dependencies are there as well very cool great job..

Welcome ryan, I'm glad you got what you want. If you want a good video file player, I suggest gxine.

bob k
December 5th, 2004, 07:41 AM
better yet mplayer man that thing rocks. I'm still going thru the setup thing to figure the best screen resilutiion. I haven't figured out how some of the options work, but that will come with time.

When you down load it and compile and install it, there is a wiki and a how to, it's prettty straight foward. Play with it for a couple of days and then copy the *cofig to your home (~) I found the location /usr/local/etc/mplayer/example.conf and copy it to your ~ then edit (I guess edit ain't the right word play with it is the right word) then have fun

Marauder1
December 5th, 2004, 11:11 AM
The best duo is :

- Mplayer and Plugins for movies
- Xine for DVD

With this you can see anything
:-D

brammoreinis
January 2nd, 2005, 03:26 AM

Quote:

or what I did was:

Quote:

Hi, Ryan.

I'm a newbie, so... I didn't see gstreamer0.8 -mad in the SPM - it went from -jpeg to -mikmod.

I clicked all the grayed out "repository" buttons, except the two that said, "These are universe repositories and won't work with your system".

Should I have checked them? Or is this a moving target?

I haven't used these forums yet, so don't know if I'd get an email when you replied. If I would, fantastic - if not, please email to bram@cousinit.org.

thank you!

podmf
February 26th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Quote:

or what I did was:

Quote:

I installed gstreamer-mad and, eventually, all gstreamer-plugins ... but had no joy at all :-(

Any ideas?

ups
February 26th, 2005, 04:07 PM
I installed gstreamer-mad and, eventually, all gstreamer-plugins ... but had no joy at all :-(

Any ideas?
What error did you get after installing those? Remember you should install gstreamer0.8-mad (and not gstreamer-mad).

dsa3
September 11th, 2009, 10:35 PM
i need music player plugins

dsa3
September 11th, 2009, 10:36 PM
i need music player plugins
i need gstreamer0.8-mad