PDA

View Full Version : Server4you.de is a scam! Avoid doig business with them!

TekNullOG
March 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I am a very diplomatic person and I believe in doing fair business. This is why I've decided to write this post in these forums. I want to share with the world our horrible experience with Server4you.de in hopes of saving the rest of you from their lies.

I am not one to openly bash people online but I feel the need to spare all of you from falling victim to this company!

In order to offer the most stable listening experience to all of you, we needed to add another European server. Doing a little research in Google, we fell on Server4you.de (a German company).

Here is an example of what they promote (in German):
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3400+,
DualCore 64 Bit,
1.024 MB DDR2-RAM
1x 160 GB SATA-HDD
Betriebssystem: OpenSuSE,
Fedora, Ubuntu und Debian
Plesk 8.2 - 10 Domains
Unbegrenzter Datentransfer (which means unlimited datatransfer)
Kostenloser Support per
E-Mail und 0800-Hotline

Before hand, we verified with them that the unlimited datatransfer package was accessible for streaming. Most companies don't allow this so it is always the first question to ask. They confirmed that there was no problem at all!

Well, after 2 months of service with them, they are telling us that we must limit our datatransfer to 75GB/day or 2TB/month. You might think that this is already a lot but this is standard for most dedicated servers and this suddenly makes them pretty expensive (even for North-American standards). Note that European bandwidth is known to be significantly cheaper than North-American bandwidth.

This was one of the few times I've had to sign a contract for hosting. So for the next year, I'm stuck paying for cheap/mediocre quality bandwidth that's suddenly not even unmetered anymore! I would walk away from them if I could (contract or no contract, I don't care) but since we're outside Germany, they made us pay for 12 month in advance. So if I want to get anything out of that money, I have no choice to use their low grade bandwidth.

Basically, consider yourself warned! Don't do business with Server4you!

Imagine, they disconnected our servers without warning or even messaging us because we had apparently reached this new bandwidth quota which had never been mentioned in the past!

Feel free to spread the word and to refer back to this post. I also make comments on my own forum: http://techno.fm/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4082

kybernetikos
April 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
I've also had a very bad experience with server4you.de

The hardware was slow, the support was terrible. They had a misconfiguration with their routers which meant that my server was inaccessible from *most* of the world for nearly a month. In that time, I was disconnected from email, the friends I'd given websites to on my server all moved their sites away. Support was slow, and persisted in trying to blame me, despite the very clear traceroutes I gave them showing that the requests weren't even reaching my server. They still haven't acknowledged their error.

There's no cancellation allowed in their contract, they won't talk to you about it, and if you don't notify them *IN WRITING* three months before your contract runs out, they'll automatically renew it for you. It's easy to end up paying for an extra year that you didn't want.

Saya
April 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Make it a principle to avoid sites that replace "for" with "4".

popch
April 23rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
You do have some sort of contract or terms of service, haven't you?

Tom Mann
April 23rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Make it a principle to avoid sites that replace "for" with "4".

Hear that Phones4U? :-D

Is it in your contract that you are to receive unlimited bandwidth? If so, you should legally be able to exit the agreement for breach of contract.

TekNullOG
May 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Well, first of, the main problem is that the contract is in german and it can only be found on the most remote possible place on their website. I have a friend that looked at it and there is a small fine print that states that if you are consuming too much, they reserve the right to cap you. (or something like that!)

It's funny how they never mention this when they are trying to sell their services to you.

PartisanEntity
May 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Well, first of, the main problem is that the contract is in german and it can only be found on the most remote possible place on their website. I have a friend that looked at it and there is a small fine print that states that if you are consuming too much, they reserve the right to cap you. (or something like that!)

It's funny how they never mention this when they are trying to sell their services to you.

Then you have none to blame other than yourself. Even if it is hidden under a sub menu, the contract was there for you to read.

Making business with a company, when you did not read the contract or have explained to is your own fault, sorry.

Based on what you have told us so far, there is no fault at all on this German host since this is clearly mentioned in their contract, as you said it was, when your friend read it.

In fact in some countries what your doing can be used against you in a court of law, since you are attacking the reputation of a company. I believe Germany is one of them, as is Austria.

The lesson here friends, is don't sign a contract until you read it, and if you don't speak the language, get someone who does, BEFORE you sign the contract.

LaRoza
May 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Contract law is sort of a specialty. What is big and bold doesn't matter, what you agree to in the contract does matter.

There is no evidence of a scam here, just a misunderstanding of the contract. If the contract was signed without being fully read, whose fault is that?

Thread Closed.