PDA

View Full Version : Query regarding petitioning ISP for support of Linux O/Ss

wpshooter
March 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Who would I contact to get permission/OK to post a request (including who to correspond to and sample petition letter) that Ubuntu users send a request to Verizon Online DSL (or to their own ISP), that they (Verizon) provide training to their support technicians for Ubuntu/Linux O/S. Verizon will currently only answer support questions if you are using either M/S Windows & MAC operating systems ?

I kid you not, I just called Verizon this morning and when inquiring of the technician about what O/Ss they supported other than Windows, he said that he did not know that there were any O/Ss other than Windows, I really think he was serious !!!

Thanks.

LaRoza
March 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
It shouldn't matter what OS one is using, as long as your hardware works.

The support people will most likely have "point and click" type of directions though, which won't apply.

If you ask what you have to do, not how to do it, you might have an easier time.

wpshooter
March 7th, 2008, 09:24 PM
It shouldn't matter what OS one is using, as long as your hardware works.

The support people will most likely have "point and click" type of directions though, which won't apply.

If you ask what you have to do, not how to do it, you might have an easier time.

I agree that is "shouldn't" matter, but apparently it does !!!

When I call Verizon and as soon as I answer their question about what operating system I am using (and you have to answer the question or they will not even talk to you) and I respond with the answer Ubuntu/Linux, there is a fairly long pause "period of silence" on the other end of the phone, meaning that they are apparently just dumbfounded that I did not respond with an answer of either M/S windows or MAC. And their next sentence to me is that they do not support Verizon DSL use with that operating system !!! If you find this hard to believe, I challenge you to give them a call sometime and see if you can get any further that I do. 800-567-6789.

So back to my original question. Would it violate any forum rules/policies if I posted a suggested method of Ubuntu users corresponding their request to Verizon and other ISP that they start offering support to Ubuntu users ?

Thanks.

LaRoza
March 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM
So back to my original question. Would it violate any forum rules/policies if I posted a suggested method of Ubuntu users corresponding their request to Verizon and other ISP that they start offering support to Ubuntu users ?

If it doesn't break any laws, or have not safe for work content, you can post it.

Forrest Gumpp
March 8th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Here is a thought I had in relation to dealing with a somewhat similar problem in an Australian setting: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4465663&postcount=55

Grudge Switching - tell the world why. On record.

The thing about grudge switching, if it is realistic and sensible in your particular situation, is that it conveys a simple commercial message in brutal terms, in public.

The threat perceived by the recalcitrant provider is that there may get to be a snowballing effect among other customers, to that particular ISP's detriment.

It is but a suggestion that the above thread is the place to tell such a story, but it could become so.