PDA

View Full Version : Things absolute beginners should NOT do:

Oldsoldier2003
March 7th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Things absolute beginners should NOT do:
This list is not all inclusive and is aimed at helping beginners. So of the advice here can be completely ignored by intermediate and advanced users. But hey if you are one of those you don't NEED the advice!

never use automatix. Regardless of what you may have heard, automatix is a bad idea. The program has a high likelihood of trashing your system to the point that the only fix is a reinstall

never run scripts or commands you don't understand. Although the people here on the forum are very helpful, you should never ever run a command you don't understand. When in doubt use man <command> or google the term. If you still don't understand post here and someone can help clarify it to you. example: NEVER run sudo rm -rf /

never install software from unknown or untrusted sources. At first stick to the default Ubuntu repositories. If you need something specific that isn't available, be careful of where you get it. remember that not everything you find out there is stable on all operating system versions and some is just plainly malicious.
[**]corollary:never use source code from untrusted sources.

never run makefs on a partition you need. makefs will reformat that partition, destroying the exiting data. Never do it without first being absolutely sure you want to wipe the data and create a new blank partition.

don't enable root. if you need to enable the root account, then you are not an absolute beginner. The forums do not support doing this for a bunch of reasons... read the sticky and you'll see why.

don't move your /home directory to a ntfs partition. it breaks logins. Noted here because although moving /home to another drive or partition isn't exactly a beginner task, many people will consider it.

don't change your repositories to a newer version of Ubuntu. this isn't the proper way to upgrade your installation, and could overwrite critical packages, placing your OS in a unstable state.

don't pm the mods for a tech issue. if you do that, you lessen the number of people that will see your issue, thus lessening your chance for a quick and helpful resolution. (besides it's just pretentious)

don't be afraid to ask questions. If you are here, then you've found the best resource for friendly advice given by people that have "been there". Take a few moments to think through the issue and post it as clearly and concisely as you can. If you include all the pertinent info, the chances of resolving your problem are a lot higher.

zeller
March 7th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the wonderful post!

Vadi
March 7th, 2008, 04:06 PM
That's really helpful, but I don't think absolute beginners will be able to understand the jargon used there.

Dr Small
March 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Also:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=716201
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/03/06/common-newb-mistakes-and-how-to-avoid-them/

Ripfox
March 7th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I liked Automatix...it worked good and never trashed my system once.

You just have to be smart enough to use it directly AFTER a fresh install.

Duck2006
March 7th, 2008, 04:17 PM
never run scripts or commands you don't understand.

How do you know if you don't give it a go?

This is just like running the DD commands, witch are not for beginners but if you don't try how do you learn?

Oldsoldier2003
March 7th, 2008, 04:23 PM

This is just like running the DD commands, witch are not for beginners but if you don't try how do you learn?
*grins*
explain that to the windows user that just wiped out his entire digital life because he decided to dual boot to Ubuntu and did something to "learn linux" I'm all ofr giving it a go, but you have to rememebr that not everyone that posts here is as adventurous, and many may not understand the ramifications of their actions, or have a clue on how to recover their data form a backup (if they even have backups).

Ripfox
March 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM

For some reason certain people like to tell other people what they "should do"

Personally I think learning by experience is the best teacher available. Yea, I trashed my system a few times to say the least. But thats the way it goes. I see why telling people not to use certain commands blindly is beneficial, but imho you should just make sure you back up your important files and jump right in, it's the best way to learn.

fuscia
March 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
never take one person's strongly voiced cautions seriously.

SomeGuyDude
March 7th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I found Automatix convenient, actually. Never broke anything. My only beef with it is that they still have the old version of Swiftweasel packed.

jrusso2
March 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Don't try to upgrade glibc

herbster
March 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Don't go outside without a helmet.

beercz
March 7th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Forget to backup

amyst
March 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Question 1:
"don't pm the mods for a tech issue"

What is "pm the mods" ?

Question 2:
Say, I want to ask for help for printing to a network printer, would the topic / title

"Printing to the network printers only print the first 2 pages"

be enough or do I need to add something else to it?

Iehova
March 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Question 1:
"don't pm the mods for a tech issue"

What is "pm the mods" ?

Sending a Private Message to the Forum Moderators. :)

Question 2:
Say, I want to ask for help for printing to a network printer, would the topic / title

That should be fine...

SomeGuyDude
March 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Question 1:

That would be plenty. It's enough information for someone scanning to know if they're having a similar problem or if it's of a subject they can help with.

Far better than, say, "PRINTING HELP!!!"

darth_indy
March 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Far better than, say, "PRINTING HELP!!!"

Agreed! Or, worse, the topics that have the title "PLEASE HELP" or simply "HELP". The best way to get help is to explain the problem as well as possible in a short sentence. For example, the aforementioned "Printing to the network printers only print the first 2 pages" is excellent, or a description like "Problems with Dell [model #]wireless printer and Dell 1420n" to let people know your specific problem. This not only makes it easier for those that are knowledgable to find your problem and help you, but chances are that someone else will have the same problem, and will search the forums. If your title is good, it will help others a lot. I don't know how many times I've tried to fix a problem on the forums, and not find a fix until I waded through "PLZ HELP!1!" topics.

amyst
March 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks, you guys are awesome :)

glenboarder99
March 11th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Thanks for telling me.

perce
March 11th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Don't try to upgrade glibc

I did, many years ago :oops:

hhhhhx
March 11th, 2008, 05:06 AM
automatix should be fine if you install it right after an installation, but if you do it later it apparently can cause dependency issues

steveneddy
March 11th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I wish a list like this was the first thing that was on the Absolute Beginners section of these forums.

How many times in one weekend do we see the same question being posed by every noobie out there.

Someone teach them to search the forums and Google.

I hate to say it, b/c I'm not an RTFM guy myself most of the time, but please read the "Read Me" file or the help file at least once.

There you go. My .02

You are very welcome.

SomeGuyDude
March 11th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I'm definitly not a RTFM or JFGI kind of fella, but there definitely is a list of things that people should spend about 5 minutes looking up before bringing to the table.

Hell, searching is usually faster than waiting for someone to respond, anyway. The greatest tool on this forum is to open a new topic, type your question in the title box, and then see what it spits back at you. I've answered SO many questions that way.

kevdog
March 11th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Jfgi ??

chewearn
March 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Jfgi ??

Oh... the irony. JFGI (http://www.****inggoogleit.com/)

EDIT:
And yes, I did google it too. :redface::lolflag:

Trail
March 11th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Concerning not enabling the root account... I got a question for that (and sorry, not gonna search the forums at this time :P).

What if there is an electricity blackout, your / is not unmounted cleanly, and fsck asks tries to remount read-only and asks for the root passwd for maintenance. What can you do if you DON'T have one set?

I got a friend for which I installed ubuntu recently, and I SMSed him the instructions to do so just in case.

Trail
March 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM
bump

n3tfury
March 14th, 2008, 05:22 PM
also, don't wipe your partition with Windows unless it's already hosed beyond belief.

vbt
March 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Hell, searching is usually faster than waiting for someone to respond, anyway. The greatest tool on this forum is to open a new topic, type your question in the title box, and then see what it spits back at you. I've answered SO many questions that way.

That's how I learned, by coming to this forum. After a week of dual boot, buh bye Windows. I don't think I ever had a problem that was not already solved by someone here.

:guitar:

Good list of don'ts. I agree, it should be posted in the absolute beginner section.