PDA

View Full Version : if i'm happy with gutsy should i switch to hardy ?

imT
March 7th, 2008, 02:53 PM
gutsy works very good to me and i'm curious if i should switch to hardy.
off course at some point, when i'll reinstall, i'll go with hardy but for now my gutsy works very good and i don't find the need of a reinstall.
any ideas ?

Ecclesia
March 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM
It seems like you just answered your own question. I'm thinking the same thing, although probably for different reasons. I have an integrated NVidia 7150 card, which needed the beta drivers to run. I'm a little nervous that upgrading my system might break that, so I'm going to hold off until I know that I can do it smoothly.

I'd read about the list of changes and look at your hardware to see what improvements might be coming your way.

p_quarles
March 7th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Thread moved to the Community Cafe (Feedback & Help is only for feedback and help about the forums themselves, not Ubuntu).

If you're thinking about upgrading early, you should be advised of two things:
1) Development versions often receive updates that cause things to break for a while.
2) Pre-release versions aren't officially supported, so it's very much an "at your own risk" type of proposition.

ukripper
March 7th, 2008, 03:54 PM
i would suggest you wait for final stable version for Hardy. if you are very curious about it then either install it on separate partition or use VBOX, Vmware or Qemu to install virtually.

Sukarn
March 7th, 2008, 03:55 PM
From http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=305

HARDY HERON SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR YOUR DESKTOP UNTIL IT IS RELEASED IN APRIL 2008
If you decide to use Hardy Heron now, then you are doing so at your own risk, and with the risk of major breakage and possible data loss.

smartboyathome
March 7th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I use Hardy, but not on my desktop where I keep all my data. I use it on my laptop because it has an Intel X3100, and I can use Compiz Fusion with it without breakages like in Gutsy. I would advise against it though, since it still is buggy.

-random
March 7th, 2008, 04:10 PM
It seems like you just answered your own question. I'm thinking the same thing, although probably for different reasons. I have an integrated NVidia 7150 card, which needed the beta drivers to run. I'm a little nervous that upgrading my system might break that, so I'm going to hold off until I know that I can do it smoothly.

Yep! I installed my 8600 with Envy, and you have to remove it when you upgrade .. and .. .and ... etc.. So i'm happy with Gutsy! I'll switch over during the x-mas holidays again:popcorn:

SunnyRabbiera
March 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM
well from what I know once Hardy is out it will offer more stability and functionality out of the box then gutsy does now

steveneddy
March 7th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I'm gonna upgrade to Hardy after it is final, which is only in a couple of months.

Ecclesia
March 8th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Yeah, I might upgrade in a couple of months, although I'm not looking forward to how that might integrate with my video. Maybe I can hold my breath and it will work out of the box this time. That would be really nice, and worth a fresh install.