PDA

View Full Version : Open Source... How?

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I love the open source community and would like to help except everything is so damn complicated... I know PHP and most aspects of web programming (JavaScript, CSS, ect...) well but i cant find a project that isn't so advanced that i can actually help.... and even if i did how would i?

fatality_uk
March 7th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I love the open source community and would like to help except everything is so damn complicated... I know PHP and most aspects of web programming (JavaScript, CSS, ect...) well but i cant find a project that isn't so advanced that i can actually help.... and even if i did how would i?

Firstly, understand your skills. Know what you can contribute to a project. It could be marketing, artwork, web side or even as simple as making a donation or distributing FOSS projects.

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Did you check source forge and freshmeat? Freshmeat, had a few hits for php programming when I briefly looked.

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Did you check source forge and freshmeat? Freshmeat, had a few hits for php programming when I briefly looked.
yeah i looked around but everything is so friggen complex its like you have to be a COMPLETE professional to help out a little bit.... that is somthing im not but i have plenty of time. I might just start a new project. Some sort of CMS or something like that. Is anyone interested?

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 11:09 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but what do you mean by a cms project?

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but what do you mean by a cms project?
First, there is NO SUCH THING as a dumb question. You cant learn if you don't ask

Secondly, Content Management System, like joomla or E107 or somthing like that.... those probably have huge teams of developers but you never know... i have some good ideas if your interested and know PHP and the likes...

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM
First, there is NO SUCH THING as a dumb question. You cant learn if you don't ask

Secondly, Content Management System, like joomla or E107 or somthing like that.... those probably have huge teams of developers but you never know... i have some good ideas if your interested and know PHP and the likes...

I would love to help, but my programming skills only include html and a bit of vbscript, so I probably shouldnt. Im starting python just like you are.

Im really sorry.

Your right though, all the source forge projects are heaps complicated, its very difficult to be a learner.

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Hmm, maybe we can start some sort of Python project together... i have a server, its kind of lame but i can put a SVN server on it and its already running a web server weth a couple of my projects on it....

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 11:25 AM
That be alright!

I just hope I dont slow your learning down. (you appear to be fairly cluey when it comes to coding.)

I really want to learn python, I find that tutorial a tough read though.

no server is too lame for me.

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM
That be alright!

I just hope I dont slow your learning down. (you appear to be fairly cluey when it comes to coding.)

I really want to learn python, I find that tutorial a tough read though.

no server is too lame for me.
Man, i know that tutorial is WHACK! Im gonna look for some different recources, you got some sort of im or somthing?

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Man, i know that tutorial is WHACK! Im gonna look for some different recources, you got some sort of im or somthing?

No but ill get one. What do you use? You can always PM me on this forum as well.

This is a begginer tutorial. (no its not illegal stuff)
http://hetland.org/writing/instant-hacking.html
This is a bit better, perhaps not long enough.

In the development and programming ->programming talk section of this forum, there are some how tos for begginers (they're big on python for a begginers language)

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 11:40 AM
i use google talk, really simple if you have gmail, and if you dont you should! :lolflag: But really, how is python coming for you?

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Well basically I can get past the first two pages of the tough tutorial, then I stop, because all I see is how to arrange the fibonacci series in more pretty ways.

I would understand the concepts better if they were put more pratically. In a html tutorial, it takes you through the tags and what they actually do, so you can go incorporate it in your file. In that official python tutorial, its harder for me to understand how to incorporate how to display a fibonacci in interesting ways into a program. (maybe I need more experience)

Im eager to learn it, its just tough doing the tutorial, and i haven't found many that are better yet.

I hope this makes sense.