PDA

View Full Version : bored out of my mind

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 09:20 AM
i am so extensively bored, any suggestions...?

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Some things to do:

-Learn to program/ expand programming knowledge
-Make some art with ubuntu
-Play some ubuntu games.
-Listen to music/ Make music
-Contribute to a source forge project
-Email, PM, Irc, chat to a friend.
-Help some noobs in the beginner section
-go for a walk/jog
-Do something that really needs to be done that you haven't been able to do before (like housework) until you think of something to do.
-Visit a mate.
-Go for a ride/drive.
-buy a guitar and play it. (that one works for me)
-visit the backyard section.
-Plan a small business.
-Go to the movies.
-Read the news.
-Buy yourself a milkshake.
-Dance
-Watch TV
-Donate to a charity
-Draw a mndmap of your life.
-Clean the garage.
-Have a shower.
-Optimise your system.
-Help gagdude get glest to play mulitplayer with his brother in the gaming and leisure section.
-Look for jobs on the internet.
-Write a 2000 word essay of how you feel when your bored.
-Call someone you havent seen in a while.
-Contribute to a sourceforge project:)
-Learn to beatbox
-Search for world hunger plroblems and how to solve them.
-Design a solar electricity plant.
-just randomly draw
-Read a book on programming (so you can contribute to an open source project.:))
-Find out where australia is.
-Prepare to get a pet.
-Do some woodwork
-Fix your car.
-Study terrorism.
-Pull apart on old VCR

I could keep going, But that would be boring:)

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Some things to do:

-Learn to program/ expand programming knowledge
-Make some art with ubuntu
-Play some ubuntu games.
-Listen to music/ Make music
-Contribute to a source forge project
-Email, PM, Irc, chat to a friend.
-Help some noobs in the beginner section
-go for a walk/jog
-Do something that really needs to be done that you haven't been able to do before (like housework) until you think of something to do.
-Visit a mate.
-Go for a ride/drive.
-buy a guitar and play it. (that one works for me)
-visit the backyard section.
-Plan a small business.
-Go to the movies.
-Read the news.
-Buy yourself a milkshake.
-Dance
-Watch TV
-Donate to a charity
-Draw a mndmap of your life.
-Clean the garage.
-Have a shower.
-Optimise your system.
-Help gagdude get glest to play mulitplayer with his brother in the gaming and leisure section.
-Look for jobs on the internet.
-Write a 2000 word essay of how you feel when your bored.
-Call someone you havent seen in a while.
-Contribute to a sourceforge project:)
-Learn to beatbox
-Search for world hunger plroblems and how to solve them.
-Design a solar electricity plant.
-just randomly draw
-Read a book on programming (so you can contribute to an open source project.:))
-Find out where australia is.
-Prepare to get a pet.
-Do some woodwork
-Fix your car.
-Study terrorism.
-Pull apart on old VCR

I could keep going, But that would be boring:)
wow.... i dont know if your trying to flame me, but that actually helped thank you

jespdj
March 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Some random links to keep you busy:

http://www.advancedlinuxprogramming.com/
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
http://meetthegimp.org/
http://www.howtodothings.com/hobbies/how-to-solve-a-rubiks-cube
http://lifehacker.com/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/
http://www.stellarium.org/ (nice program and it's in the Ubuntu repo)

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
wow.... i dont know if your trying to flame me, but that actually helped thank you

Nah, I know boredom is killer, and I had fun writing it.
:lolflag:

Those look like some pretty good links.

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2008, 10:05 AM
When I am bored I install a new linux distro. I ran out of cds though.

Ubuntu Gutsy 32-bit
Ubuntu Gutsy 64-bit
Fedora 8 32-bit
Puppy 3.01
OpenSUSE 10.3 64-bit
Ubuntu Hardy 64-bit
Kubuntu Gutsy 64-bit
Couple music backups

There goes my cds.... Well I could always watch a new anime.

EDIT: A good discussion on the forums keeps me interested well, anyone have any cool hobbies?

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I would LOVE to install a new distro! Only i fall in love with one specific thing on each one and never know what one to use and i ran out of HDD's.

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I would LOVE to install a new distro! Only i fall in love with one specific thing on each one and never know what one to use and i ran out of HDD's.

Take all the features you love and make your own distro! That would be kind of hard, but its doable, and you get to say to everyone that you made it!

Can you ran virtual machines on linux that let you use another linux in RAM? It would be kind of crazy, but it would solve the Titan's problem

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Did any of you ever boot on Windows just so you could defrag and watch all the little squares get all organized? Wait, dam I have Vista I can't even do that anymore :(

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Did any of you ever boot on Windows just so you could defrag and watch all the little squares get all organized? Wait, dam I have Vista I can't even do that anymore :(

I remember that, that took absolutely forever and my dad took the time took explain to mehow defrag's worked. Good times.?.

Can you defrag on ubuntu?

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Did any of you ever boot on Windows just so you could defrag and watch all the little squares get all organized?
I thought i was the only one.....

Wait, dam I have Vista I can't even do that anymore

What did you expect? the most entertaining feature, you think they would keep it?

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2008, 10:35 AM
No you cannot defrag an ext3 partition. I remember my father gave me an old Windows Me, and instructed me to defrag it once a month, but never told me why. :)

Also it isn't that Linux doesn't get fragmented, it just does very very slowly. And if your harddrive has plenty of empty space you should never have slowdowns.

I remember someone had the idea to make a Linux distro with all the disadvantages of Windows. That would be fun to see, albeit useless.

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 10:37 AM
No you cannot defrag an ext3 partition. I remember my father gave me an old Windows Me, and instructed me to defrag it once a month, but never told me why. :)

Also it isn't that Linux doesn't get fragmented, it just does very very slowly. And if your harddrive has plenty of empty space you should never have slowdowns.

I remember someone had the idea to make a Linux distro with all the disadvantages of Windows. That would be fun to see, albeit useless.
why in gods name would you want to do this? Simply for the hell of it? where did you see this?

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I thought i was the only one.....

What did you expect? the most entertaining feature, you think they would keep it?

lol.

I wonder if the windows clone has been done before

adwatkin19
March 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM
When i used to be bored, i used to love watching the little defrag squares on windows, now i just install random synaptic packages to see what they are and what they do, or i look at the next airsoft weapon i would like to buy. I think i do that far too much to be honest.

Good lukc with getting entertained!

Adam

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM
It was just a joke. :KS:popcorn::KS

Yeah, actually it sounds like a good idea. I am gonna look up a random program and install it and see what it does. Hopefully OpenSUSE repos have some good stuff.

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM
When i used to be bored, i used to love watching the little defrag squares on windows, now i just install random synaptic packages to see what they are and what they do, or i look at the next airsoft weapon i would like to buy. I think i do that far too much to be honest.

Good lukc with getting entertained!

Adam
i did that tonight, the synaptic thing, but this thread has been pretty entertaining actually =]

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 10:44 AM
It was just a joke. :KS:popcorn::KS

Yeah, actually it sounds like a good idea. I am gonna look up a random program and install it and see what it does. Hopefully OpenSUSE repos have some good stuff.
WHEW! You scared me

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Hey there is a linux that mimics windows!!!

http://vixta.sourceforge.net/

But i dont think it tries to mimic its errors.

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I am installing compiz on OpenSUSE I guess we shall see how it goes. :)

adwatkin19
March 7th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Hey there is a linux that mimics windows!!!

http://vixta.sourceforge.net/

But i dont think it tries to mimic its errors.

Yeah but whats the point, i came to Linux because of the way Windoze looked and worked, and now someone wants us to move towards it again. Ill stick with my standard ubuntu Desktop, with some cool desklets and a cool background from Gnome look (also another great past time) looking at all the pretty add-ons for Gnome

When i was young i just thought the defrag squares were entertaining, can you tell i had a sheltered child hood :p

Adam

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I am installing compiz on OpenSUSE I guess we shall see how it goes. :)
Do you have a fast computer?

adwatkin19
March 7th, 2008, 10:55 AM
i never liked opensuse, a little bit too much like hard work to do things, and seemed more orientated to the developer instead of the desktopper.

Defo let us know how it goes though.

Adam

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah but whats the point, i came to Linux because of the way Windoze looked and worked, and now someone wants us to move towards it again. Ill stick with my standard ubuntu Desktop, with some cool desklets and a cool background from Gnome look (also another great past time) looking at all the pretty add-ons for Gnome

Adam

Yeah thats why I wondered if someone would actualy do that.

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2008, 11:01 AM
My comp is fast and 64-bit but the effects are slow. No so on Kubuntu. I assume my card just isnt supported correctly. :(

I guess I'll wipe SUSE for now and get back Kubuntu. See you guys in like 40 mins :)

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah thats why I wondered if someone would actualy do that.
Of course, somebody will always try and make something good suck...

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Actually I am not gonna quit on OpenSUSE yet. Not until Hardy in April.

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 11:20 AM
What changed your mind?

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Ooohhhh Im Sooo Excited For Hardy!

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I remembered all the issues I had with Kubuntu. OpenSUSE is more superficial problems. Kubuntu is more stable but less complete.

EDIT:Hardy is released on the day of my birth. Who would have thought I would be receiving my gift via the internet. :)

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Sorry to double post. I just got finished playing SuperTux and I have to say that game is excellent. :)

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I remembered all the issues I had with Kubuntu. OpenSUSE is more superficial problems. Kubuntu is more stable but less complete.

EDIT:Hardy is released on the day of my birth. Who would have thought I would be receiving my gift via the internet. :)
lol

What type of problems did you have? I used to use it, but I found it to be a little buggy.

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Don't worry about it. :)
The biggest problem was I could never get my NTFS partition to mount.

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I just installed super Tux, sweet game, reminds me of another. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Pity the storlines too short. It was too easy to clock, and the storyline was unfinished.

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2008, 12:03 PM
(Random) What is your favorite kind of coffee? French roast here. :)

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM
(Random) What is your favorite kind of coffee? French roast here. :)
same
EDIT: Are you just doing this to see what us idiots will respond to?

Belliinator
March 7th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Don't drink coffee, I drink milo.

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
No I am bored now too. :(

jeffus_il
March 7th, 2008, 12:14 PM
i am so extensively bored, any suggestions...?
Boredom is a wonderful state, you have to know how to enjoy it. Boredom is relaxing, not stressed, enjoy! Boredom is a time for reflecting, on yourself, your friends, your environment. Boredom is an opportunity to create, and to solve problems, remember the sudden solution than came once you relaxed or maybe lay down to sleep, thanks to boredom. Hail Boredom!

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Boredom is a wonderful state, you have to know how to enjoy it. Boredom is relaxing, not stressed, enjoy! Boredom is a time for reflecting, on yourself, your friends, your environment. Boredom is an opportunity to create, and to solve problems, remember the sudden solution than came once you relaxed or maybe lay down to sleep, thanks to boredom. Hail Boredom!
if i did all that i wouldn't be all that bored now would I? =P

adwatkin19
March 7th, 2008, 01:52 PM
i agree with what you said about xubuntu, being more stable but less finished, it just seems very early stages of development for some reason to me,

If you want bored, i was so bored last weekend i organised my entire DVD and book collection into alphabetical order, BY GENRE!!!!

Beat that one

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I organized my digital media collection by genre, 4000+ songs, WHAT NOW! =)

adwatkin19
March 7th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I organized my digital media collection by genre, 4000+ songs, WHAT NOW! =)

WOW that is desperately bored, you could organise your sock and underwear draw according to colour preference or something......

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 02:26 PM
i didn't actually just do it lol, i was jealous... it took days... but my underwear drawer is very organized actually

uberlube
March 7th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Make yourself an Anime Music Video. That'll keep you busy for a LONG time. :)

jeffus_il
March 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM
if i did all that i wouldn't be all that bored now would I? =P
Very quick!

The Titan
March 7th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Very quick!
You are very insightful my friend!

icechen1
March 7th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Play Phun.Will waste 1 hour,guaranteed.
http://www.acc.umu.se/~emilk/index.html