PDA

View Full Version : Openoffice 3,0 Press Release

rab4567
March 7th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I'm looking forward to this lets hope they get the bugs out.
pdf: marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2007/programme/wednesday_186.pd

rab4567
March 7th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Ok lets try that again

http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2007/programme/wednesday_186.pdf.

jrusso2
March 7th, 2008, 07:30 AM
cool, they actually used my idea of using Thunderbird as a mail client/calendar/pim

KiwiNZ
March 7th, 2008, 08:19 AM
It looks dated . I know looks are only cosmetic but they are important.

rab4567
March 7th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I just want it to work.

forrestcupp
March 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Well, it looks like it still lacks some things I would like it to have, but it has a lot of new desperately needed features.

I'm glad they now have a PIM. That is the main thing they didn't have an answer for. The new chart wizard is a long time coming. I've also been waiting for multi-screen support in Impress, so I'm glad to see that on the list. And it's a good thing they're supporting MS Office XML 2007.

Hopefully the extensions support will allow for some good things.

bruce89
March 7th, 2008, 03:16 PM
cool, they actually used my idea of using Thunderbird as a mail client/calendar/pim

Oh great, I can see Evolution being replaced then.

rab4567
March 7th, 2008, 08:19 PM
The calendar for thunderbird was a long time incoming, but I'm really interested in the Web 2.0 app.

Het Irv
March 7th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Open Source programs seem to be going through a huge devlopment overhaul right now:
FireFox
Thunderbird
Amarok
OpenOffice
Ubuntu (Pointing more towards the beginning of the Brainstorm site)
Wine (Google Sponsorship)

In a few years we are going to have program of the same quality as Closed Source

Quillz
March 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Nice to see they will be making a native build for Mac OS X. NeoOffice is still very far behind in terms of technology.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 7th, 2008, 09:02 PM
If this doesn't use GTK, and someone decides to incorporate OOo 3's mail program into Ubuntu's defaults (not that Evolution does a great job with GTK as it is...), I am going to seriously consider moving to KDE.

In other words, I dearly hope GNOME Office gets some momentum. OpenOffice would do really well as a tookit for creating office suite front-ends. It is suffering quite largely from the "one size fits all" idea for software design, where its front end only works well in Windows. On the other hand, if the project was designed specifically that every platform practically required its own front end, the user experience would be a lot better. OOo is fantastic as a portable document editor; it's just everything around that which doesn't work.
Having said that, perhaps there is a pleasant treat in here that I have missed?

Anyhow, this release is really good news for OO's adoption for the other 95% of computer users!

rab4567
March 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I know at one time Sun Microsystems was pushing third party apps plugins like Firefox, perhaps if they could revive this idea to could really push the look and usability for all who use Openoffice.

cardinals_fan
March 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I've never really liked OpenOffice, Abiword/Gnumeric are much better (I can't bring myself to call them 'GNOME Office'). I handle my presentations with Google Docs.