PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't use desktop effects.

athaki
March 7th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Here are some reasons why I personally do not use desktop effects:

1) I'd rather spend more time being productive than trying to configure desktop effects and installing propietary drivers for my ATI Mobility Radeon X300.

2) In the past, desktop effects rarely worked or if they did work it was with sporadic performance. However, they were pretty after all the hassle that went into achieving them.

3) Desktop effects do a little more than vista's aero, but not enough to make it worth the time to install them (at least for me, I'm sure other people have good uses for them, but I don't).

4) I like things that 'just work' b/c I'm a lazy American who is used to excess.

ntowakbh
March 7th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I use effects for different reasons. One being they look cool, but some actually are a good deal of help (expo plugin).

Mateo
March 7th, 2008, 05:32 AM
they don't work very well with the x300 or any radeon card for that matter. you can get them working decently, but it means sacrificing other areas. such as being able to watch full screen videos without glitches, for example.

igknighted
March 7th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Wow... >25 minutes of config time? I had less than that with my x800 back in the Edgy days. Now with my Nvidia cards I actually have to turn it off if I don't want it.

I don't get the point of your post. The software is fine, the configuration takes seconds if you have to do it at all... the only problem is drivers. How is that a strike against desktop effects? Why not title your post, "My gripe with ATI's drivers". But don't worry, the ATI drivers hardy is released with should be nearly as good as Nvidia's, so your day is coming soon.

athaki
March 7th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Wow... >25 minutes of config time? I had less than that with my x800 back in the Edgy days. Now with my Nvidia cards I actually have to turn it off if I don't want it.

I don't get the point of your post. The software is fine, the configuration takes seconds if you have to do it at all... the only problem is drivers. How is that a strike against desktop effects? Why not title your post, "My gripe with ATI's drivers". But don't worry, the ATI drivers hardy is released with should be nearly as good as Nvidia's, so your day is coming soon.

That's good to hear. My experiences have always been really crappy with ati, but when I was using nvidia it was a dreamscape of magic and sunshine. I'll try to change the title, but couldn't figure it out. I'm eagerly awaiting Hardy for numerous reasons but I didn't know about the improved ati card support.

billgoldberg
March 7th, 2008, 08:52 AM
they don't work very well with the x300 or any radeon card for that matter. you can get them working decently, but it means sacrificing other areas. such as being able to watch full screen videos without glitches, for example.

Compiz fusion works prefectly with my radeon card (xpress 200) and I haven't noticed any glitches in full screen videos.

The thing I like the most about CF is the expo plugin, it's speeds up things alot!

Paqman
March 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I like fiddling around with the different effects. I've got a setup I really like now.

Why shouldn't computers be fun? It's not all about "productivity"

Scarath
March 7th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I like fiddling around with the different effects. I've got a setup I really like now.

Yeah, I sometimes go back on Gnome to get my compiz looking and acting just the way I want it, then just log out and go back to Openbox ..... its an hour i guess.

kpkeerthi
March 7th, 2008, 11:41 AM

1) I'd rather spend more time being productive than trying to configure desktop effects and installing propietary drivers for my ATI Mobility Radeon X300.

2) In the past, desktop effects rarely worked or if they did work it was with sporadic performance. However, they were pretty after all the hassle that went into achieving them.

3) Desktop effects do a little more than vista's aero, but not enough to make it worth the time to install them (at least for me, I'm sure other people have good uses for them, but I don't).

4) I like things that 'just work' b/c I'm a lazy American who is used to excess.

Glad i'm using nvidia.

Mateo
March 7th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Compiz fusion works prefectly with my radeon card (xpress 200) and I haven't noticed any glitches in full screen videos.

The thing I like the most about CF is the expo plugin, it's speeds up things alot!

try using Totem or any other player that has on-screen GUI in full screen (meaning not mplayer) and watch the glitchiness ensue.

SunnyRabbiera
March 7th, 2008, 12:40 PM
For me though I sort of like compiz, it is much lighter and efficient then what aero could ever hope to be if you have the right specs for it.
Luckily I dont own a ATI, I might have a intel card but at least it works :D

CaptainCabinet
March 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I don't really use desktop effects either. I don't have any use for them.
I'll turn on Extra Visual Effetcs in the Apearance menu but that's as far as I go. :) I haven't had the best of experiences with compiz.

Bezmotivnik
March 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM

For most adults it is, in one sense or another.

A friend of mine effectively deprecates all this in two words: "Kid stuff."

+1

I want a clean work surface with good visual ergonomics as I have substantial vision problems. I do not want pointless animation, layered transparencies, 3D or clutter. Even though I'm retired/disabled, I still have work to do -- my computers are not toys but tools, and efficiency is more satisfying and beautiful to me than geeky silliness.

Black desktop, icons and I'm fine.

Snakob808
March 7th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Compiz fusion and beryl are cool looking, but they are gimmicks. I liked being able to show everyone how cool the desktop cube was or the wobbly windows. I don't think they were worth the effort that it took to install, configure, etc. Once they were installed I found them to be quite buggy. To me, they were conspicuous computing.

Bezmotivnik
March 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM
To me, they were conspicuous computing.

"Conspicuous computing"...that about says it all, doesn't it?

Bölvağur
March 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I really do get you, I have desktop effects on or off depending on what I am doing on the computer. But do I feel multitasking is way harder without good compiz-fusion configuration.
When I do work I normally have about 3 to 20 programs and windows open. There is no way you can effectively use that many programs without good config of compiz and emerald.

If you have simple setup when you are working, with 4 programs tops, and you cannot be bothered to learn to improve your multitasking techniques, then having a simple interface is for you.

I guess it is still a little easier to multitask with many desktops than in Windows where you have nothing to help you at all and you cannot work efficiently.

bonzodog
March 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I am a fan of functionality over eye candy, and light, fast running.
Although I have a high spec box that easily could run compiz, it runs just Openbox, with SLiM for login manager. I run openbox undecorated, with FF running maximised on Desk one, Weechat running in a fullscreen urxvt term on desk two, and all other tasks on desk three. It's cool like this, and to switch desks, it's simply ctrl-alt-arrow keys.

dgoodma
March 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Messing with proprietary drivers on my laptop, all to see the cool effects has been the biggest waste of my time, it really messes things up. If it is working, don't touch it, cause then it won't, and getting back to when it did not too much fun.

I guess if you are lucky to have a PC or laptop that Linux understands "out of box" then it might be fun...

Whiffle
March 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Although I have a high spec box that easily could run compiz, it runs just Openbox, with SLiM for login manager. I run openbox undecorated, with FF running maximised on Desk one, Weechat running in a fullscreen urxvt term on desk two, and all other tasks on desk three. It's cool like this, and to switch desks, it's simply ctrl-alt-arrow keys.

saaame here, without the high spec box. I like hitting caplock+right and instantly going to the next tag (using awesomeWM). Its so fast, and I don't have to wait for any animations to do their thing. I have apps that automatically open up on a certain space, so they're always where I want them. I like this much better than pretty effects.

edm1
March 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I use them only on the rare occassion that i need the zoom feature to watch BBC iplayer fullscreen (but now they've fixed that). Apart from that, compiz is good at pulling in the windows crowd. How many times have we seen someone's first post as 'can't enable desktop effects'.

herbster
March 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I used them a while ago and I dig 'em, I still think they're neat as hell and some of the plugins are very helpful (switcher, rotate cube, etc.) for making regular usage convenient and fun, but I've been using flux for quite a while now and just prefer the minimalism. Of course, when a friend is over I'll log out/in and bust out the craziness :D

SomeGuyDude
March 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Reasons 1, 3, and 4 are basically the same reason: you don't want to spend the time to make them work.

Personally, since it takes about 5 minutes to install and configure them to my liking and they work perfectly, I can't think of a good reason NOT to use 'em.

50words
March 7th, 2008, 07:14 PM
But don't worry, the ATI drivers hardy is released with should be nearly as good as Nvidia's, so your day is coming soon.

If I am using the proprietary driver now, will I be better off sticking with it, or going to the driver released with Hardy? Are you referring to the open source driver or the restricted one?

cardinals_fan
March 7th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Reasons 1, 3, and 4 are basically the same reason: you don't want to spend the time to make them work.

Personally, since it takes about 5 minutes to install and configure them to my liking and they work perfectly, I can't think of a good reason NOT to use 'em.

Well, I really don't like Compiz/Beryl. When I started using Linux (with Ubuntu) I immediately enabled everything I could touch and enjoyed the bling. My reasonably-good Nvidia card configured easily using proprietary drivers, and ran Compiz fine. What bothered me was the bugginess. There were so many times my desktop would simply freeze, requiring a hard reboot. And when I started using the Pager plugin for the Xfce panel (which is incompatible with Compiz)... my days of bling were over. Today I run a conservative Xfce setup on Zenwalk and get my eyecandy from an awesome wallpaper, tango icons, conky, and gdesklets.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3915/screenshotyj9.th.jpg (http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotyj9.jpg)

Ultra Magnus
March 7th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I agree, - these kids with their new fangled graphic user interfaces - I can't stand them, not that I have a choice - ati drivers really do suck.....

...ncurses is just about acceptable though

Ardrias
March 7th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I dont use effects at home, but they're a blessing at work with all the windows I have to keep open. Obviously I turn off all the crap like minimize effects and wobbly etc, but the expo and scale plugins are just brilliant.

cardinals_fan
March 7th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I dont use effects at home, but they're a blessing at work with all the windows I have to keep open. Obviously I turn off all the crap like minimize effects and wobbly etc, but the expo and scale plugins are just brilliant.

I won't deny the value of scale, but what exactly do you find useful about Expo?

kelvin spratt
March 7th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I use a ATI 9600 card no problems with compix in Ubuntu, But the ATI drivers are far better than the free or restricted drivers in Ubuntu. Dreamlinux3, runs compiz from the box with my card, Parsix uses Xrand ported from Ubuntu and the drivers are far better than Ubuntu so I think part of the problem is in Ubuntu, By the way Parsix is not Ubuntu its Debian Lenny/Sid and so is DL3. And I think compiz has got a place but I usually turn it off after I've played. I also find E17 better suited to multitasking anyway and faster.

athaki
April 18th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I can't use them. i810 driver just won't cut it plus I have very little video RAM and an old computer from the dot-com boom.

barbedsaber
April 18th, 2008, 06:21 AM

good for you
you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is. :lolflag:

NightwishFan
April 18th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I like desktop effects because it feels nice to have such an active gui. It is the simple things that are great sometimes. :lolflag:

thisllub
April 18th, 2008, 08:06 AM

OpenBox is nearly perfect.
If there was a built in equivalent to Katapult as there is in E17 it would be.

The config files are simple and I copy them to all my machines.

Compiz looks nice but you have to install a monster on top of it to use it.

caravel
April 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I use them but only minimally. I have an Nvidia card so it's a lot easier to get up and running. If I was still using ATI then I wouldn't bother and wouldn't really miss it either. I use the desktop wall rather than the cube and only use two desktops anyway. The effect I dislike most of all is the wobbly windows, I never use that one.

geekcliff
April 18th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I find, if you pick your effects wisely you can make an old doggy pc look good: ie, use animations, but slow them down so that apps and windows have time to build while they are loading.:guitar:

Saint Angeles
April 18th, 2008, 09:30 AM
in hardy, fglrx works out of the box. i chose to use the latest driver from ati website (download the .run file and execute it... just like windows).

then i disable fglrx in /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common so it loads the new fglrx instead of the one included in hardy.

i admit, i use a custom xorg.conf file that took me a while to produce in gutsy (i'll attatch it for kicks)... but once something is configured... it stays configured.

i agree that most compiz plugins are just for fun, but some add a lot of functionality. the desktop cube makes multiple desktops more real feeling. its easier to visualize where your windows actually are. also, the transparency features are good for seeing behind windows... especially terminals.

I use mplayer and have no problems at all. when i have a lot of background processes running, full screen video looks slightly choppy so i will run metacity --replace every once in a while. i've found that compiz is an excellent tool for converting people to linux though.

pumpum
April 18th, 2008, 12:00 PM
and also cuz it is a load of ********

SunnyRabbiera
April 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
For me Compiz is kind of neat, it seems to have the capacity to equal the effects on OSX as its already surpassed aero :D

aimran
April 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I won't deny the value of scale, but what exactly do you find useful about Expo?

Aren't expo and scale the same thing?

+1 for expo/scale, just wish I could hit the middle mouse button (instead of a keyboard shortcut) to activate it like it was in Beryl/Edgy days. Anyone know how to?

chucky chuckaluck
April 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM
i've tried them on various occassions, but they never last too long. they remind me of sleeping on a waterbed.

xpod
April 18th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Aren't expo and scale the same thing?

+1 for expo/scale, just wish I could hit the middle mouse button (instead of a keyboard shortcut) to activate it like it was in Beryl/Edgy days. Anyone know how to?

Expo allows you to view all Desktops while Scale allows you to view all open Windows.
I just use the top left & right mouse gesture for expo & scale,perhaps you could try that?
You can find the settings under the "bindings" tab for each plugin within Compiz Config settings manager....or Advanced desktop effects settings as it`s called in the menus.

aaaantoine
April 18th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I use Compiz for fluidity purposes, and sometimes even for functional gain. Switching from one workspace to another? A quick animation makes this abundantly clear. If I want to show something to someone in the other room, I can press Super+2 (or 3) to zoom in far enough for them to read. When my programs stop responding, they turn a shade of grey. Alt-tab shows me the contents of the windows I am switching to, so that I know exactly what window I am switching to. And so on.

No cube for me. I have Expo and Scale enabled, but I almost never use either of them.