PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu humour

japephillips
March 7th, 2008, 02:26 AM
We spend, if we are unfortunate, many hours trying to setup Linux and get back to the functionality and even comfort we once had with nasty commercial Windows. This is usually starts because we have a philosophical viewpoint, but soon becomes desperation, frustration, sorrow, even fear and anger. Well I am speaking for myself but have read many, many posts now in the search and prayer for a working box ... personally, I have re-installed different distros seven times in two months, downloaded forty hours plus of Synaptic stuff in the last two weeks alone, alienated my girlfriend and not done much work or entertainment using my computer! And it still isn't doing what I want when i want.
I have seen people 'told off' for bumping their threads (sheesh, we do get DESPERATE, it is natural), seen people give up and go away. heard a lot of wails and pleas including the echoes of my own, but not seen much humour.

So here is my small offering. I found them amusing anyway!

K3B recorded/copied a disc and I forgot I had the speakers on full volume - so my girlfriend was sitting idly swiveling my office chair to and fro when it blew an enormous trumpet fanfare behind her and she spat coffee all over her legs and spilt it inside her sheepskin boots ....

synaptic decided it would take 29,512 hours and 14 mins to download libmad at 5kb a second ....

As I said, maybe you had to be there but lets see some Ubuntu funnies please while we beg you Linux elders to help us!

Dr Small
March 7th, 2008, 02:28 AM
This should probably be moved to the Cafe.

net-reg
March 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM
yeah nice :) give a hoot

ShodanjoDM
March 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
GPartEd WMD

Try this: Install gparted, open console and type gparted without sudo.

The warning message really made me :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Joeb454
March 8th, 2008, 06:41 PM
:lolflag: That's great...you'd never get that in a commercial app either :)

icechen1
March 8th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Sometime if you try to Clear History in Nautilus(GO>Clear History)
You will see something like http://blog.arjie.com/2007/04/09/funny-nautilus-message-when-you-clear-history/

FranMichaels
March 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Hmm, not sure if this is funny or just sad, but here goes

So everyone is using Ubuntu, one old laptop is used as a spare and print server over the wireless network (HP Laserjet hooked it.)
I get a complaint from my dad that he can't print anything from his laptop. The thing is, he turned off the laptop connected to the printer.
So yes, turning off your server, will make it, not serve... :KS

blithen
March 8th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hmm, not sure if this is funny or just sad, but here goes

So everyone is using Ubuntu, one old laptop is used as a spare and print server over the wireless network (HP Laserjet hooked it.)
I get a complaint from my dad that he can't print anything from his laptop. The thing is, he turned off the laptop connected to the printer.
So yes, turning off your server, will make it, not serve... :KS
xD I had a good laugh. Sounds like something my dad would do.