PDA

View Full Version : The Eee pc... disturbing news

-gabe-noob-
March 5th, 2008, 11:56 PM
This http://event.asus.com/eeepc/microsites/en/index.htm origionally shiped with linux only but microsoft windows XP has found its way in to this magnificent (IMO) device. I personally think that the linux PC will sell more because I belive the market for this PC is more about low price then what OS they are using.... anyways ... I just don't like the fact its shipping with XP soo anyone wanna tell me why I'm wrong heh, or write !!!!!!!! :P

zmjjmz
March 6th, 2008, 12:08 AM
The XP version's going to suck.
Windows is not for this market.

billgoldberg
March 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM
From what i've read about this, the two will have the same price.

The only difference is that the linux version is going to have 12gb memory and the xp version only 8gb.

This because they need to pay the licences.

-gabe-noob-
March 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I was right>>>> sorta WOO
heh just thought it was wrong that this popular (once) linux only PC should have windows on it, but that was just me.

and guy above me... your signature... HAHA

fatality_uk
March 6th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I just don't like the fact its shipping with XP Why? Asus isn't a charity. They made a great move by introducing the eeePc. It raised the profile of Linux to many who would never usually be exposed to Linux.

Of course it was great for them to have the iPhone of laptops on their hands. They knew Microsoft would ship a scaled version of XP for them and produce a more favourable license agreement.

They will still ship with Xandros installed if you wish.

regomodo
March 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Xp being on the new eee pc is not my major concern. The new price is

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5536771397.html

Daveski
March 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM
The XP version's going to suck.
Windows is not for this market.

I read somewhere that Microsoft are doing a special build of XP for this machine - they seem to REALLY, REALLY want XP running on this device - presumably as they see the low powered, low cost Linux machines as a potential threat. They need to produce a 'lite' version of Windows if they want to compete in this market. Funny how they are using XP not Vista though isn't it? ...

Tristam Green
March 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I read somewhere that Microsoft are doing a special build of XP for this machine - they seem to REALLY, REALLY want XP running on this device - presumably as they see the low powered, low cost Linux machines as a potential threat. They need to produce a 'lite' version of Windows if they want to compete in this market. Funny how they are using XP not Vista though isn't it? ...

That's only because "Vista Lite" is an oxymoron, and any attempt to create such a thing would make the time-space continuum collapse in on itself.

mozetti
March 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Linux is about choice for many people.

Why does it matter if buying the PC with XP is an option? It would only be an issue if they dropped linux entirely and used XP on all the machines.

BigSilly
March 6th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Seems rather short sighted on Asus's part though. Isn't it common knowledge that Microsoft are ceasing support for XP in a couple of months?

lancest
March 6th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I don't believe it's a big problem that these Eee's come with XP. After all these little machines don't come with a Windows key or MS compatible sticker on them. Things are changing! Around here I can actually find other ASUS laptop models with an actual Linux sticker on them. Linux adoption won't happen overnight but Ubuntu quality is starting to threaten XP (and Vista). Hey this is a gradual opening of the market and operating systems are political! Pirated software is a moneymaker.

fatality_uk
March 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Seems rather short sighted on Asus's part though. Isn't it common knowledge that Microsoft are ceasing support for XP in a couple of months?

Want to bet on that? :D I am guessing there could be a news story in a few months

Microsoft to extend XP support.
I know the plan is to phase out support for XP SP2 from August 2008 but I can see a U-Turn coming our way.

The other alternative I have read is that the eeePc version of XP will be designated as XPe or something similar. This would get around the shutdown of XP SP2 support but still allow MS to pump out updates. After all, the fact is that they wont turn away close to 1,000,000 projected new customers will they!

Tristam Green
March 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Is XP SP3 out already? Or has that idea been nixed entirely...I figure I would have heard/read something if either was the case.

The other alternative I have read is that the eeePc version of XP will be designated as XPe or something similar. This would get around the shutdown of XP SP2 support but still allow MS to pump out updates. After all, the fact is that they wont turn away close to 1,000,000 projected new customers will they!
Haha, I can see it now!! Windows CE 2! >.>

cnbiz850
March 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
A quite interesting thing I noticed about a month ago:

On some Eee PC related Chinese forums, quite some users are requesting on how to dump the Linux system and load XP after they bought it. They don't seem to give any reason as to why they want to dump the Linux OS, but do make it sounds that Linux is simply inferior to XP. And, unsurprisingly, there are comprehensive HOWTO's in telling to people how to dump Linux and load XP.

Tristam Green
March 6th, 2008, 02:48 PM

On some Eee PC related Chinese forums, quite some users are requesting on how to dump the Linux system and load XP after they bought it. They don't seem to give any reason as to why they want to dump the Linux OS, but do make it sounds that Linux is simply inferior to XP. And, unsurprisingly, there are comprehensive HOWTO's in telling to people how to dump Linux and load XP.

Maybe not necessarily how to dump Linux, but how to dump Xandros? I know the same could be said of the threads on here on how to dump Xandros and install Ubuntu...

forrestcupp
March 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Asus wasn't being short sighted. MS was desperately pushing for this. They didn't want there to be a market where Linux has the monopoly. This was all MS.

blastus
March 6th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I saw someone put Windows 98 on one. I don't know if it was the second edition though.

Daveski
March 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/05/asus-and-microsoft-working-an-eee-targeted-version-of-windows-7/

MS backed the UXPC (Ulta Expensive PC) - or was that Ultra Mobile PC...? The fact that people might want low powered small machines seemed to pass them by, but they are definately trying hard to wriggle into this potential market.

SomeGuyDude
March 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
This http://event.asus.com/eeepc/microsites/en/index.htm origionally shiped with linux only but microsoft windows XP has found its way in to this magnificent (IMO) device. I personally think that the linux PC will sell more because I belive the market for this PC is more about low price then what OS they are using.... anyways ... I just don't like the fact its shipping with XP soo anyone wanna tell me why I'm wrong heh, or write !!!!!!!! :P

My god... that sounds like CHOICE! We can't be having that! It goes against the ethos of Linux!!

lancest
March 7th, 2008, 01:07 AM

Not surprised at this happening at all although it seems disapointing in the short term. The cat is out of the bag! There is no magic moment for Linux to start taking over in people's hearts and minds, rather it will be a slow erosion of users who recognize the high quality of Ubuntu and Linux. Document compatibility,free software titles, stability and security will undoubtedly sway more and more users. Right now independent minded people use Linux- others will follow.

aysiu
March 7th, 2008, 01:11 AM
If you read the Amazon reviews (slightly less tech-savvy crowd than NewEgg, on the whole) of the Eee PC, there seems to be a sizeable chunk of both groups: a number of users saying they bought it with plans to install XP on it from the beginning, some originally planning to install XP but quite satisfied with Xandros, and others satisfied with Xandros straight from the beginning.

jrusso2
March 7th, 2008, 01:14 AM

Sales yes but support will continue for XP until 2012

lancest
March 7th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Actually I worked on An Eee pc for a friend. I couldn't stand the Xandros interface so I switched him to Ubuntu 7.10. Maybe it's my tasted (I like Gnome) but I can see why some people switch to XP on the Eee. It's my belief they should use a better looking (not Fisher Price like Xandros) and powerful operating system like Ubuntu on it.

3rdalbum
March 7th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Watch out. Asus originally said that the Windows XP version would only be available by special tender. It's going to be available in retail channels :-(

A friend of mine was going to buy an EeePC for her spoilt brattish child (how spoilt? The child recently used his mother's laptop without her permission and broke one of the keys). She called the Australian distributor to place an order, but the distributor told her to "hold off, the new version with the XP program is coming out in April. Your son will find it easier to use."

I'm not happy. The kid will stuff up his Eee with all sorts of viruses and spyware, and guess who will be asked to fix it? I'd rather he didn't get a computer; it would be good punishment for breaking my friend's laptop; but if he has to have one, it should be one where he can't break the software.

Mateo
March 7th, 2008, 04:15 AM
What is "disturbing" about having a choice?

futureproof
March 7th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Watch out. Asus originally said that the Windows XP version would only be available by special tender. It's going to be available in retail channels :-(

A friend of mine was going to buy an EeePC for her spoilt brattish child (how spoilt? The child recently used his mother's laptop without her permission and broke one of the keys). She called the Australian distributor to place an order, but the distributor told her to "hold off, the new version with the XP program is coming out in April. Your son will find it easier to use."

I'm not happy. The kid will stuff up his Eee with all sorts of viruses and spyware, and guess who will be asked to fix it? I'd rather he didn't get a computer; it would be good punishment for breaking my friend's laptop; but if he has to have one, it should be one where he can't break the software.

Maybe you could teach the child about safe computing then they wouldn't fill their computer with all sorts of virii and spyware.

At OP, how is choice disturbing? Is it the same kind of disturbing as when dell started offering preinstalled ubuntu_?

I think people who buy prebuilt systems shouls have the choice of any OS they want, have it installed by a professional and have the security of knowing if anything goes wrong they can take it to the place they bought it from.

adamklempner
March 7th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I think people who buy prebuilt systems shouls have the choice of any OS they want, have it installed by a professional and have the security of knowing if anything goes wrong they can take it to the place they bought it from.

I completely agree. I wish more manufacturers would give OS choices. Asus made a fine product with Eee, and no doubt they will sell A LOT of them with Windows loaded. Probably more than the Linux ones. Extra profit for the makers of Linux compatible hardware is a good thing.

Mateo
March 7th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I just don't understand why some people complain about being locked in to windows and then wanting a computer manufacturer to lock in their clients to a linux OS. It seems some people don't want choice, they want their choice.

futureproof
March 7th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I just don't understand why some people complain about being locked in to windows and then wanting a computer manufacturer to lock in their clients to a linux OS. It seems some people don't choice, they want their choice.

I think you sum it up quite nicely with that. I want a laptop with windows xp pro (+ disk) and the mobo/drivers disk. I can't even get that. I have to buy something with vista preinstalled and no disk, the recovery option is on a hidden partition, that's great till your HD borks then you're left with nothing. I really really hate the way laptops are sold, it sucks (here in japan at least).

lancest
March 7th, 2008, 10:30 AM
The days of OS choice are arriving.You can buy Eee laptops here with XP or Xandros. I think some of us Linux users have a desire to punish Microsoft for their evils by shutting them out of the market. Sure I hate them too- but the market must do the deciding. Sooner or later a Linux distributor will figure out how to make an even better mobile OS for this new class of device- that will users will mostly prefer over MS. I hope it's Ubuntu mobile.

Mjölner
March 9th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hi all

This is disturbing news!

And I have some more....

It's the last day of CeBIT 2008 here in Germany and I have just been at the Asus stand.
Well they have 40 squate meters of space dedicated to XP only eeepc, and only 1 test eeepc with linux on. Naturaly far away from the M$ area.
More disturbing is this though.... (from the "horses" mouth)
The 8gb, 8.9 inch version will go on sale here in the 2nd half of 2008 and will only ship with XP, with the salesman saying that they have no news on whether it will be availabe with linux or without an OS!

It's a :sad: day

ssam
March 9th, 2008, 01:17 PM
i would not be surprised if microsoft offer a very cheap XP OEM license in exchange for making them windows only. who knows if ASUS can stand up to that?

scottro
March 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I believe that in Japan it's only available with XP--in part, this is supposedly (UNCONFIRMED RUMOR ALERT) because Xandros is notoriously bad with Japanees support.

SECOND UNCONFIRMED RUMOR

The original ships with the (in)famous AR5007EG. The unconfirmed rumor part is that Asus put pressure on Atheros to work with the MadWiFi people--in the end Atheros gave them a binary blob--to support a 32 bit driver because everyone wanted to put a different Linux on it.

I was going to get one when it was first said that they were going to be sold for $200. Once it went up to $300 for the smallest, one starts thinking that for another couple of hundred, you can get a laptop, so I wound up not buying one.

Paqman
March 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Common misconception. The next (and last) Service Pack is due out some time in 2008. After that XP support will continue until 2014 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Support_lifecycle).

Jim!
March 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Would Windows XP even run properly on an AsusEee?

coolglobal
March 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Why on earth would you take a perfectly good computer and completely stuff it by putting windows on it. You'd have to be a complete numbskull. It is mass delusion that computer = windows, what rubbish.

lancest
March 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Why on earth would you take a perfectly good computer and completely stuff it by putting windows on it. You'd have to be a complete numbskull. It is mass delusion that computer = windows, what rubbish.

Agree completely! Think about it. Does anyone here really believe that Xandros Linux that ASUS is using can really compete with XP in the Eee market? This laptop is not a raging success because it comes with Linux. I hope Ubuntu 8.10 gets traction soon because it's soo much better. (Though I realize this laptop needs a lightweight system).

Paqman
March 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Personally I wouldn't, but I can think of at least two good reasons people would:

To use Windows aps
Because they're not interested in using Linux

Seriously, Windows is not satan. It's just software. Barking at people for exercising their right to choose makes you sound like a numbskull yourself, IMO.

BigSilly
March 9th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I think the choice would be an excellent thing, but from posts above it looks like with the advent of this new XP Asus, they're going to all but eliminate the Linux equivalent. So there'll be no choice, and it's back to the same old OS monopoly.

sajro
March 9th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I sense a disturbance in the source....

Nah, just kidding. I agree; it'll flop. "Joe Sixpack" will have problems securing XP w/o a CD drive (as if XP can be secured) for overpriced, overhyped antivirus programs. Microsoft couldn't make a halfway decent (read: close to the original, which is around 1/8 decent) XP on such low-end hardware. ILinux thrives on such things but that poor code quality (and microkernel...ugh!) on XP would have trouble even on the best ultraportable.

n3tfury
March 9th, 2008, 03:54 PM
presumably as they see the low powered, low cost Linux machines as a potential threat..

kind of like how the OP and some of the community seems to feel threatened.

coolglobal
March 10th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I find the idea completely crazy, it's a beautiful lightweight computer designed for linux, and comes with a specially designed linux distro. Every other notebook on the shelves has windows on it. Why buy the linux notebook with the superb designer OS, and dump a cranky, bloated, outdated, virus infected/immunised within an inch of it's life, windows operating system on it. It is insanity. If you want the windows lard, buy the fat notebook next to it on the shelf, then walk down the aisle and start loading your cart with boxes of prop software. It is complete madness to pollute this beautiful linux notebook.

coolglobal
March 10th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I want to make one more point. There is one reason alone why this notebook now comes with windows. Power.

Linux undermines the power structure of the global, desktop os monopoly. As linux becomes commercially adopted in the desktop/notebook arena, the worldwide pubic will start to realise the true extent of the windows delusion. This is that windows is superior and safer than linux. It is not true. Linux is every bit at commercially useful as windows. I'll put it this way, once people start to use linux as there number one pc, they will like it for many reasons and tell their friends to use it. Every individual that turns to linux, takes economic power (money and influence) from Microsoft. The tide will turn and linux will dominate. Why? Simply because it is better. The Microsoft Corporation knows this already, so they are doing everything in their power to delay the inevitable takeover of linux globally. What else is the Microsoft Corporation doing? It is using the time of the delay to position itself to take advantage of the linux future.