PDA

View Full Version : Writer help wanted!

MadsRH
March 5th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this topic! Anyway, I'm looking for a talented writer to help me write a non geek description of the new features in Hardy Heron. The text is for my version of the Hardy Heron cover (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/DVD_Cover_%28Fela_Kuti_Chocolate%29).

I was made aware that Ubuntu needs better marketing by stephantom (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=235435). Please read this post (http://blog.gobanquet.com/index.php/why-ubuntu-804-needs-better-marketing/) for more info:
http://blog.gobanquet.com/index.php/why-ubuntu-804-needs-better-marketing/

So a quick example would be:

GEEK VERSION: Desktop 3D effects

Compiz Fusion is enabled by default and will bring 3D desktop visual effects that improve the usability and visual appeal of the system. Ubuntu 7.10 automatically detects whether the hardware is capable of running compiz; if not, it falls back to normal desktop. Additional effects can be enabled in “System/Preferences/Appearance” under the “Visual Effects” tab. There you can also disable the effects entirely.

NON GEEK VERSION: Beautiful New Desktop

Switching between apps shows a full preview of each window, windows flow smoothly across the desktop when dragged, and you can slide between different desktops.

Is such a text already written for 8.04?
Does anyone want to help me by writing a non geek text of the new features in 8.04? Here is the featues list... (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyHeron/Alpha6)

MadsRH

MadsRH
March 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Does no one want to help out? It's not a long text I'm looking for...
So far I've added some text from the link above, but there is still some info needed!

Everything is ready to go out of the box
Well known applications for web browsing, instant messaging, email, voice calling, and office functions installed out of the box.

It’s easy to get more
You can find, get, install and update all software through one simple tool - without the need to answer questions or restart.

No hunting around for video and sound players
The ‘ubuntu-restricted-extras’ provides support for all popular sound and video formats - there’s no need to find and download extra media players and software. Note this may not be available in all countries.

The worlds best security
Other platforms have a few hundred thousand viruses in the wild. Linux has a handful. You don’t need to restart your computer for most security updates.

Ubuntu is Free
Ubuntu is free of charge.

Ubuntu is Freedom
Ubuntu is owned by you, the general public.

K.Mandla
March 6th, 2008, 02:55 AM
So basically you need ungeeky versions of the package feature descriptions on the alpha 6 page? I can help, but I'm not sure which text needs changed.

gashcr
March 6th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I can help this out... English is not my natural language, but I think is good enough to give it a try. I'll re-write the descriptions as un-geekly as possible and send them back to you when I'm done. I don't have a lot of spare time, so it could take for a pair of days. If you don't mind... Do you need it ASAP or could you wait until... let's say... saturday?

Send me your e-mail via private message so I can e-mail you the file

kool_kat_os
March 6th, 2008, 03:37 AM
i can help...English is my first language...i think

EDIT: do i get to be noticed?

chris200x9
March 6th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I can help, if you still need help.

kool_kat_os
March 6th, 2008, 03:53 AM
how do i start?

MadsRH
March 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I've sent you all a private message!

efforts
March 7th, 2008, 01:48 AM
wahehehe. why ungeek it?

MadsRH
March 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
wahehehe. why ungeek it?

Because Ubuntu’s goal is to be the most popular desktop OS for humans. Read this post... (http://blog.gobanquet.com/index.php/why-ubuntu-804-needs-better-marketing/)

gashcr
March 8th, 2008, 03:52 AM
OK, my 5 cents. I didn't include some features because they're geek on their own :P lol.

Size DOES matter

Hardy brings the latest solutions to bring the size that perfectly fits your screen... and your second screen too... and... your projector too... and...

MORE life to do MORE

Hardy let you be more productive on the go. Have your work done whenever you need it, wherever you need it, with improved battery life and better overall performance for your notebooks.

Say it LOUD! If you want to...

Hardy brings PulseAudio, wich will let you, among many other things, control the volume of every audio application in an independent way... and make it sound crisp and clear!!

Being secured doesn't mean being tied

Hardy brings better security features that allow you to decide which users can do certain system configurations through simple and flexible administrative tools.

Be in... and online... at the same time

Hardy comes packed with Firefox 3, the latest implementation of the world's leading and safest internet browser.

But don't think you can only browse the net. Make it yours! Get faster downloads, and keep track of everything you're after with Transmision.

And if you're away, let your PC come to you with Vinagre, the tool that grants access to remote desktops in a snap.

Something is burning...

Whatever your need is: backing some data up, making a CD photo album, record your last vacations videos to a DVD, create some music samples... everything is done, the easiest way possible with Brassero.

What time is it? ... - Where? -

Don't let your business partners or your family in the exterior miss your call just because you didn't calculated the time right. Hardy comes with an integrated world clock, so you'd know what time is it... everywhere you need to know.

Get moving!

Don't let anything stop you. Hardy brings the latest technology to help you make your file operations a breeze. You decide where to move your stuff, Hardy will handle the dirty job and set everything as you wished. Even if you move a lot of things at the same time...

Keep an eye on it!

Performance is important, and Hardy knows it! That's the reason it comes with a new, user friendly application for checking your system performance, so you can be sure everything runs smoothly under the hood.

Click, Check, Install!

Hardy makes it easier than ever to install Ubuntu from your Windows system. Just answer some simple questions to Wubi, and it will take care of installing, in a safe way that won't touch any of your Windows data, a new Ubuntu system on your PC.

Tell me if you think they need even more ungeekness... If you notice any problem with the english... forgive me... I told you it is not my natural, you are free to make any correction you consider proper.