PDA

View Full Version : My wife thinks the terminal is awesome

aysiu
March 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM
My wife is a hard-core Mac user through and through. There are some things about the Mac, though, that annoy her (the Dock, the boot-up noise, Spotlight).

The other night, she was pissed that some emails in Mail were appearing in a really tiny font, and some were appearing in larger fonts. She looked through all the GUI options to force the message font to be consistent and couldn't find such an option, so she did a Google search for how to force the font to be the same font for all messages.

What she found was a tutorial that asked her to quit Mail, put a command into the terminal, and then restart Mail. She launched up the terminal and asked me if she could copy and paste the command instead of retyping it. I said she definitely could. So she did that, and all the message fonts were consistent.

She was very happy about it. I asked her if she liked the terminal, and she replied, "The terminal is awesome!" There you have it--my wife thinks the terminal is awesome.

LaRoza
March 5th, 2008, 08:22 PM
She was very happy about it. I asked her if she liked the terminal, and she replied, "The terminal is awesome!" There you have it--my wife thinks the terminal is awesome.

You are a lucky person.

Whenever I use the terminal in front of people, they go screaming into the night.

aysiu
March 5th, 2008, 08:30 PM
You are a lucky person.

Whenever I use the terminal in front of people, they go screaming into the night.
Well, in all fairness, I wasn't using the terminal--she was. I think that makes a difference. If you bring up a shell and start typing crazy commands, I think the uninitiated would definitely be scared, but if they see how easy it is to copy and paste a command themselves and have that command solve their problems, then they can appreciate it more... as my wife did.

cprofitt
March 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM

That is even better than having a wife who likes games!! You are one lucky dude.

aysiu
March 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
That is even better than having a wife who likes games!! You are one lucky dude.
She likes games, too (console games), but I don't. We don't always fit into gender stereotypes as a couple.

LaRoza
March 5th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Well, in all fairness, I wasn't using the terminal--she was. I think that makes a difference. If you bring up a shell and start typing crazy commands, I think the uninitiated would definitely be scared, but if they see how easy it is to copy and paste a command themselves and have that command solve their problems, then they can appreciate it more... as my wife did.

...but, isn't that where the fun is? Vim just adds to it.

openguru
March 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Hey, If you don't mind, what was the command ?