PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know a dictionary definition could be copyrighted

BWF89
October 3rd, 2005, 09:14 PM
I was useing Dictionary.com to look up the definition of my English vocab words when I scrolled to the bottom of the screen and noticed this "Copyright © 2005, Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.". So than I clicked on "Terms of use: and found this in the Dictionary.com End User Agreement:

3.1 All content provided by Lexico on the Site is protected by copyright, trademark, and other applicable intellectual property and proprietary rights laws and is owned, controlled, and/or licensed by Lexico. The Site is protected by copyright, patent, trademark, and other applicable intellectual property and proprietary rights laws and is owned, controlled, and/or licensed by Lexico. DICTIONARY.COM™, DOCTOR DICTIONARY® and Lexico® are trademarks and, where indicated, registered trademarks of Lexico or its subsidiaries. SPELLING.COM™ is a trademark of Alan Berkovitz. All other trademarks appearing on the Site are the property of their respective owners.
3.2 You will not modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit, any of the content, in whole or in part, found on the Site. You will download copyrighted content solely for your personal use, but will make no other use of the content without the express written permission of Lexico and the copyright owner. You will not make any changes to any content that you are permitted to download under this Agreement, and in particular you will not delete or alter any proprietary rights or attribution notices in any content. You agree that you do not acquire any ownership rights in any downloaded content.
3.3 Certain content found on the Site may be subject to additional terms, conditions, and notices as specified in Section 11 below.
Doesn't a law state that all facts are barred to be copyrighted? Wouldn't a definition be consitered a fact? So if one dictionary copyrghted a definition than another competeing dictionary would have to give a different definition for the same word?

skoal
October 3rd, 2005, 10:27 PM
I think Lexico is copyrighting their use of said content, not the actual content. This is merely a standard EULA for any interested parties wishing to refer to this site as their source, modify it midstream (or whatever), and (potentially) claim it's derivation was from dictionary.com to begin with...

In other words, they have toolbars and such you can download and maybe even an indirect link you can use to feed into your own dictionary database application. I dunno. Probably overkill on dictionary.com's part...

\\//_