PDA

View Full Version : Share your experience

whiterabbit
October 3rd, 2005, 04:48 PM
G'day everybody....

I'm posting out of both curiosity and concern.....

I'm 24 next week and I'm beginning to get a little "iffy" about my future.

I'm a first year IT: Multimedia student so we're learning Java, Javascript and HTML amongst a few other programs. I'm a complete beginner to all of these languages but hey, we all start somewhere don't we?

I was having a chat with somebody today about where this course will lead and I was told that it's quite hard to get a job in the software or website industry when you've passed the age of 25. I didn't know how to take this so I've come to your "programming talk" forum for advice and opinion.

How old were you when you first started to learn your language of choice?

How long have you been programming for?

Where are you now? (experience, occupation etc.)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

thumper
October 3rd, 2005, 04:55 PM
30 (python), 22 (C++)

How long have you programming for?
18 years

Contract developer in London, UK. Been here about seven years, NZ before that.
Experience? What can I say? Longest ever job has been three years. Average is around 12 months. One of the advantages of being a contractor is that you get to move around. Work mainly for banks these days as they pay the best, but going to pack it all in and head back to NZ next year.

whiterabbit
October 3rd, 2005, 11:21 PM
Well it looks as though you've done quite well for yourself.

What is your opinion of what this person has told me? Is he right in saying that it's alot harder to find a place in the industry if you're over a certain age group?

thumper
October 3rd, 2005, 11:40 PM
Well it looks as though you've done quite well for yourself.

What is your opinion of what this person has told me? Is he right in saying that it's alot harder to find a place in the industry if you're over a certain age group?
I didn't say that:confused:

That main point I really wanted to make was you are never to old to start learning a new language :)

remin8
October 4th, 2005, 03:06 AM
C++|HTML:17 PHP|MySQL|JS: 21 | Java: 24

Off and on for all, 24 now, solid programining experience for php.

No real programing experience (my hobby), i am in the USAF and am a EOD tech (remin8.com/eod)

-Rick-
October 4th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Started with QBasic, C and Pascal when I was 11-12 years old, C++(fav language) started when I was about 17.

Well..I made some breaks...maybe in total about 4-5 years or so.

Still studying chemistry :) Programming is more a hobby.

drgreborn
October 4th, 2005, 05:29 PM
html: 12 yrs, JAVA: 14yrs, C++:16yrs

I'm 19 now so that's around 6 years or so.

Current studying for my DIPLOMA in IT: GAME DEV track. Been doing contract jobs since age 15 doing website and such. Just completed my Industrial attachment with a company creating a system in solaris.

My opinion on what the person says:
I do not believe that it is true. Take for instance my supervisor during my attachment, he's around 50 years old and according to him he just learned IT related stuff rather recently at the age of late 30s. So I do not think there is a problem.

thumper
October 4th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I didn't say that:confused:
That main point I really wanted to make was you are never to old to start learning a new language :)
Sorry, I ended up re-reading your initial question about your chat with this other fella.

Personally I can't really say about how hard it is after 25 as I did a BSc majoring in computer science and went straight from Uni to a job.

There is this other contractor that I work with who was a physics teacher for a number of years and then mid 20s went back to uni and did a masters in computer science. From there he ended up getting programming jobs and seems to be doing quite well for himself.