PDA

View Full Version : subversion commiting, merging, etc.

chocolatetoothpaste
March 4th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Ok, here is the scenario: Me, web developer, works in office. Person #2: web designer, works from home. There is a web developing server in my office, which we both use to program on. I installed subversion, setup a repo, all went well. I created a folder on my machine (called vsl), I used TortoiseSVN to check out the entire site. I made some changes, used "commit", and it shows that the new file was allegedly commited. Here's the problem: when I look at the on the actual server, it still shows the old file. So, then I have to use "svn update", then the machine has the new version of the file. I need the repo to auto update, then to move the file from the repo to the /var/www/html dir so I can view the changes on the server. Can anyone help with this, or am I missing something?

pmasiar
March 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM
You can look at post-commit hooks, where you can add update command for another working copy, but I would advise against it.

You need to have individual development working copies, integration/testing working copy, and production working copy. So you can test your changes integrated with other changes before deploying into production.

Then deploying is just single 'svn update' command - and you can do it when you want, and don't have to test (including regression testing) after every change.

You may also want to look at TRAC: http://trac.edgewall.org/ . It is integrated SVN repository, code viewer, bug tracker and wiki for docs - all you need for software development in one neat package.