PDA

View Full Version : Java VM does not load

swordphsh
March 4th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but I figured someone with some programming experience might be able to help me out.

That said, my college uses a student information java applet called STINF, its hosted at
https://webts.bloomu.edu/txn/stinf
and I cannot get it to load under Ubuntu in Firefox or in Wine. When I go to the page, I get an error message:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at Form.init(Form.java:584)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:419)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

It works fine under Windows and usually on Macs, but I cannot figure out why it doesn't work on Ubuntu.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mrsteveman1
March 4th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Are you using the sun JRE or the one that ubuntu installs by default for some things? I can't remember what its called.....

Run update-java-alternatives -l (lowercase L) and see whats installed

swordphsh
March 4th, 2008, 06:28 AM
It says:

java-6-sun 63 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
When Firefox prompted me I chose something like Sun Java JRE 6. I tried using Sun Java 5, that one doesn't crash, but it fails to load, and two other alternatives, something like gjc and icedtea, neither of which worked.

mrsteveman1
March 4th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Do you have sun-java6-plugin installed?

swordphsh
March 4th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Yes I do. Thats where the error message comes from. I turned on error debugging, so it comes up with that error instead of just crashing.
Then link I gave in the first post goes directly to the page with the Java VM, if you want to take a look at it. A friend of mine with Ubuntu tried it and it does not load for him either.