PDA

View Full Version : I feel like such a dork!

JRock1983
March 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Ahhh, I just had a fun experience which reminded me to never ever assume that just because something is simple it isn't the problem. One perfect example is, how many of us have gone to fix someones computer when their sound wasn't working only to find out that they have their speakers plugged into the microphone for example? Anyway, here is what happened to me. I've spent the past week and a half trying to figure out what was wrong with Ubuntu and why I couldn't connect to my wireless network. Only to find out that the usb cord that came with my wireless adapter was no good. Lesson learned, don't make assumptions. I really do feel like a dork though. :D
:lolflag:

FuturePilot
March 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
That's probably not as bad as wondering why the internet isn't working only to discover the Ethernet cable isn't plugged in. :oops:

Mazza558
March 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Yeah, happens to me. I spent about 2 hours with an old desktop PC (which wouldn't turn on). Solution? Plug in the power cable. I had overlooked everything but this!

RyuenjinZero
March 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Just recently I assembled my desktop computer most of the parts were retail. After I finished building the computer would shut down after a few minutes. It took me some minutes to figure out what was wrong and the problem was that the CPU was overheating. I forgot to take off a plastic cover on the bottom of the heat sink...

corney91
March 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
I had this problem with printing. I checked the connection between the cable and computer and the cable and printer but, hours later, found the printer was connected to my dad's laptop:)

Turns out I followed the cable incorrectly and was checking the connection between the mouse and the computer :p

billgoldberg
March 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Ahhh, I just had a fun experience which reminded me to never ever assume that just because something is simple it isn't the problem. One perfect example is, how many of us have gone to fix someones computer when their sound wasn't working only to find out that they have their speakers plugged into the microphone for example? Anyway, here is what happened to me. I've spent the past week and a half trying to figure out what was wrong with Ubuntu and why I couldn't connect to my wireless network. Only to find out that the usb cord that came with my wireless adapter was no good. Lesson learned, don't make assumptions. I really do feel like a dork though. :D
:lolflag:

We've all been there.

I remember spending a few days messing with the bios and putting in new hard drives and ram in a brand new computer to install ubuntu (deleted vista) only to find out the dvd/cd rom drive was bad. I made the assumtion since it was a new computer that the hardware was ok and I messed something up while using gparted.

RebounD11
March 3rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Just recently I assembled my desktop computer most of the parts were retail. After I finished building the computer would shut down after a few minutes. It took me some minutes to figure out what was wrong and the problem was that the CPU was overheating. I forgot to take off a plastic cover on the bottom of the heat sink...

Didn't the burnt plastic smell tip you off? you can consider yourself lucky though... I burnt a brand new AMD Athlon X2 5500+ by turning on the new computer to set it up, while looking at the heat-sink that was on the table instead of on the CPU... :(

JRock1983
March 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
I had this problem with printing. I checked the connection between the cable and computer and the cable and printer but, hours later, found the printer was connected to my dad's laptop:)

Turns out I followed the cable incorrectly and was checking the connection between the mouse and the computer :p

OK, I feel a little bit better now. I'm happy to hear that stuff like this doesn't just happen to me. Also, to the guy who forgot to plug his power cord in, I had a friend of mine that happened to while he was on a repair job. Could you imagine that conversation?

Customer: "So, did you figure out why you couldn't turn my computer back on after putting in my new dvd drive Mr. Über computer geek repair guy?"
Tech:"Yes, yes I did."
Customer:"Oh. That's good. What was wrong with it?"
Tech:"I uhhh.. I uhh forgot to plug it in."
Customer: stares at him blankly wondering if he should pay him or not