PDA

View Full Version : Team Wiki

Flare183
March 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
I really like Arizona's Team Wiki, it looks great.:cool: Xq, should I try to make our wiki look something like Arizona's Wiki?

recluse2
March 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Alright guys, I was fooling around with GIMP and looking at wiki's and had an idea. I'm just throwing this out there. You guys tell me what you think. This can be resized of course.

http://webpages.charter.net/brian1027/images/UbuntuSCLogo.jpg

xarquid
March 10th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Looks great! I like the Flag idea! We could use this as an initial concept! I love getting this momentum going.

Does anyone have an .EPS / .AI or any Vector image of:

- The South Carolina Palmetto Tree
- Other S.C. Images

We have the Ubuntu logo image files...

If we have vector files of S.C. "signage" we can do quite a lot.

I really love this idea so far and we can use this!

xarquid
March 10th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Alright guys, I was fooling around with GIMP and looking at wiki's and had an idea. I'm just throwing this out there. You guys tell me what you think. This can be resized of course.

http://webpages.charter.net/brian1027/images/UbuntuSCLogo.jpg

A few things we could do on two more mock-up concepts:

1) What about resizing the tree and placing it inside of the Ubuntu logo?
-- Taking out the navy blue background and making it White (or transparent) as a .GIF? That way we can use it on any page...?

2) -- MAYBE even so just the TOP of the tree is inside the Ubuntu logo and the bottom of the Palmetto Tree is growing UPWARDS into the logo? This might make for a good concept?

What do you think? Try one of each and let the members voices be heard?

I can give it a go if I can find some vectors...I'll take a look around. Work has been keeping me late since I implemented some new features on our site.

Just some of my creative thoughts...sorry if I came off too "here, here, here." I do a lot of creative, so I tend to sum up my opinion quickly after reviewing for a certain cycle.

Also we can have both images for use anywhere. Just keep the flag concept and make it into more a flag shape ;-)

Great job!!!! :KS

recluse2
March 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Here are the 2 images in SVG, The SC flag is public domain:) And I didn't think that you were being too "here, here, here." at all. I get excited about this kinda thing also!

recluse2
March 11th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Guys: I noticed that when you go to our Launchpad page the link to our wiki points to http://wiki.ubuntu.com/SCTeam where as it should point to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SouthCarolinaTeam. Just pointing it out. This leads me to a question though. Who has access to change these things? I think we need to define somewhere who is in charge of what. I know that xq is leading us in this direction so I guess that this is just another vote!;)

Another thing I think would be cool on our wiki is a list of members, their projects if any, and the dates they joined. Possibly some background info, such as occupation, age, location, marital status etc..

Looking through our related pages makes me wonder about the history of Team SC. When was it founded? Who founded it etc? I think this info would be good for new, or potential members to read, so they could get a heads up on who is involved and where they are located. I wish I new a little more about the other members myself, as I think it helps us to relate to each other better, and help us to possibly understand each other better. It would also serve as additional content for the Wiki!

xarquid
March 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Guys: I noticed that when you go to our Launchpad page the link to our wiki points to http://wiki.ubuntu.com/SCTeam where as it should point to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SouthCarolinaTeam. Just pointing it out. This leads me to a question though. Who has access to change these things? I think we need to define somewhere who is in charge of what. I know that xq is leading us in this direction so I guess that this is just another vote!;)

Another thing I think would be cool on our wiki is a list of members, their projects if any, and the dates they joined. Possibly some background info, such as occupation, age, location, marital status etc..

Looking through our related pages makes me wonder about the history of Team SC. When was it founded? Who founded it etc? I think this info would be good for new, or potential members to read, so they could get a heads up on who is involved and where they are located. I wish I new a little more about the other members myself, as I think it helps us to relate to each other better, and help us to possibly understand each other better. It would also serve as additional content for the Wiki!

I -think- we all have access. However, this may be integrated with Launchpad logins...so it may be *just* be. HOWEVER, I think it may be the page's original creator OR just anyone.

So, login and try to edit the page. I'll have it fixed today. I'll making the next meeting announcement for this month (last week in the month, not the Monday -- heheh! h8 Mondays...). So, I'll get it fixed then. Thanks so much.

I'll start getting that information written up to. Those are such great ideas. I'll start individual threads based on all of your ideas and sticky them.

This brings me back to the point of teams:

We need a WIKI Team! This would help immensely. We also need a "Chartered Team." This team could also be called the "Core Team" or something like this. The Core Team (or whatever the name would be) could help coordinate all efforts around other teams, help come up with ideas like you are doing now and really contribute to the overall effort of keeping the team MOVING ALONG and FORWARD (just like you just did!!!). This is EXACTLY what we need right now to get the "snowball" moving faster down the slope, so to speak. So:

I propose three teams to start out with: A Core Team, a Wiki Team and a Web Team. I will come up with threads for each of these teams and bullets for what I think their responsibilities would include. I think members could be on multiple teams, but I would like to limit team participation to 2 and leadership of a team to a maximum of 1. The idea behind this is quite simple and that is burnout. This is meant to be FUN and not a job ;-)

So with this being said -- thank you so much, recluse and Flare. Great ideas...and you've got some ideas going. I'll start making the posts. I'd appreciate it if you keep the comments flowing in on those posts as well. Specially as to what you see the individual teams doing (in terms of contributions SPECIFICALLY within the team).

No team will have "control" over another team. I am not a man for power struggles or power issues. There will be centralized authority but it will not be a team -- it will just be a person or two (outside of teams). I am not going to have Team A report to Team B report to Team C. Trust me on this on, it's a wreck waiting to happen. Yes, teams WILL have to work together on some efforts; however, I do not want one team to have authority over another. I want collaboration and fun.

Sincerely,

xq

:guitar:

recluse2
March 14th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Structuring the group will have to be done sooner or later. I have no idea as to how to go about doing that. I think that you (xq) are pretty much looked upon as the leader because you obviously have an idea as to where you want the group to go, or should I say leading the group in a direction, which looks to be "forward". I think at this point "just my 2 cents" the teams in the group is the obvious way to get the few things accomplished, we need to get accomplished at this stage.

If I understand things from doing some reading here and there within the Ubuntu LoCo Wiki, Team South Carolina is not yet an "approved LoCo team" and it looks like from the short time I've been a member here, that is the direction you are leading us- to become an "approved team". Which I think "just my 2 cents again" is the way to go.

I see that in the knowledge base for the LoCo's that after being approved we will be able to get free Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu Distro's to provide for the community, which leads me to a question which I dont think has been discussed: is there a time line or maybe a future goal that has been determined for the group? I'm probably getting ahead of myself, as we need to get the approval first, but I can see a time where we (Team South Carolina) are distributing CD's within the state, possibly supporting School systems within the state, and a great many other great things. Like I think you've said before, We can do whatever we want, its all in our hands.

Obviously, there will be many more discussions to be had about the future of the group, but first things first. The Wiki- I think we need discussion at the next chat as to what we want displayed on the wiki. I think we can use the wiki as the face of Team SC (is that the goal of the wiki?) to give the public an idea of what we a re doing, our goals, how to get in touch with us, how we can help them, etc., then you have the website too, will the information from the wiki be mirrored on the site too and vice-versa? Discussion, Discussion, Discussion! We need input from the group:confused: OMG! Look at this Team Wiki! http://laubuntu.axxium.us/

xarquid
March 19th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Yes the team will eventually be an OFFICIAL team. My hope is to become approved in May :)

This is where I am leading us. That is the point of the charter, getting everything in place. Active members, volunteers, contributions, etc. all lead us down this path...

We're getting there and finally picking up momentum. It's getting pretty exciting.

The Wiki staying on Canonical's server is the best choice, unfortunately (and fortunately at the same time). It would be in our best interest if we keep it on the official Ubuntu Wiki site. It does have some design disadvantages (I know, believe me), but let's *try* to keep it there. :-)

Redirection from there is not possible as JavaScript and HTML to allow redirection would not be possible.

I would like to WIKI to be our FACE -along with- http://www.ubuntusc.com to be our face (but ubuntusc.com to be of OUR PORTAL than our face). Does this make sense? Ubuntusc.com would be a great portal with announcements, perhaps member BLOGS in the future, hosted member sites etc. However, the Wiki is better for an information site and knowledge management/sharing purposes.

Sincerely,

xq / Craig

P.S. The Louisiana design/layout could be possible for our "portal" on over at ubuntusc.com and not necessarily our Wiki. We'll get there eventually. ;-)

recluse2
June 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Alright team, The new Wiki is up and running. Please view it and all of its pages especially the member list page as it concerns all members of team South Carolina. Please go there and add your information according to the directions there.

Please give the wiki team your feedback. This is NOT a finished product, it is a work in progress. The wiki team need your feedback. Everyone has an opinion, please give us yours. Dont be shy! We aren't going to eject you from the group or even say anything other than Thank You! you can view the wiki at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SouthCarolinaTeam