PDA

View Full Version : Why "Normal" People Don't Use Jabber

Mark76
March 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
I think this says it all

http://trac.gajim.org/wiki/FileTransfer :confused:

macogw
March 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Lots of "normal" people use Jabber and have no idea they're doing it. Google Talk is Jabber.

-Rick-
March 3rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
I think this says it all

http://trac.gajim.org/wiki/FileTransfer :confused:

It says

NOTE: File Transfer should work for you out of the box. You do not need to do something special. What follows is information for advanced users.
What's wrong?

Mark76
March 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Well, if it doesn't work out of the box you're going to get pretty lost trying to follow those instructions; unless you're a computer genius.

koleoptero
March 3rd, 2008, 09:47 PM
I thought jabber was a chat protocol, not a file transfer protocol,,,

Polygon
March 3rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
google talk is jabber

and to set up jabber on pidgin you just have to make an account at like jabber.org or whatever, which you can do USING pidgin. Pretty easy for me.

jrusso2
March 3rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
I use jabber not only with google talk. Some friends and I set up a private chat room on his jabber server where we can talk in a secure setting.

My friend said the server was very easy to set up and we can easily login using pidgin or psi

Mark76
March 3rd, 2008, 11:38 PM
Okay. Maybe I should have titled this thread "Why Normal People Don't Use Jabber Clients"

Since it seems Jabber itself is not at fault

-Rick-
March 4th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Well, if it doesn't work out of the box you're going to get pretty lost trying to follow those instructions; unless you're a computer genius.
True, but is that any different with other protocols/clients?

Mark76
March 4th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I've not had many problems with using Pidgin/Gaim for file transfers.

At least not with recent builds

Bezmotivnik
March 5th, 2008, 07:37 AM
to set up jabber on pidgin you just have to make an account at like jabber.org or whatever, which you can do USING pidgin. Pretty easy for me.
It doesn't seem to work all that well, though.

The Jabber account is the one I have to kick three to five times to get it to finally connect. Why? I dunno. Server overload? Buggy interface? [shrug]

I'm not sure I've ever sent or received a message through it anyway. :-k