PDA

View Full Version : Commercial support for Linux

irish rebel
October 3rd, 2005, 12:56 PM
I never liked the idea of linspire's CNR however it is good and does work , people say well you are paying for free software--- no you are not you are paying for the service .
I like the idea of commercial companies building games and applications for linux
yes there are free open source apps that do anything the paid products do , but they are limited mostly by the fact I think that these open source developers are doing this in spare time ect , I think Linux distros or software developers should take a few products that are under developement and put money and resources into them and devolope products that work better , but also look alot better.
Did you ever use acid rip great product but it looks like something from the 80's
same with grip , if linux [ubuntu in particular ] is going to have a snowballs chance in hell of increasing it's share of the desktop market some new ideas must emerge.

bob_c_b
October 3rd, 2005, 04:19 PM
I never liked the idea of linspire's CNR however it is good and does work , people say well you are paying for free software--- no you are not you are paying for the service .
I like the idea of commercial companies building games and applications for linux
yes there are free open source apps that do anything the paid products do , but they are limited mostly by the fact I think that these open source developers are doing this in spare time ect , I think Linux distros or software developers should take a few products that are under developement and put money and resources into them and devolope products that work better , but also look alot better.
Did you ever use acid rip great product but it looks like something from the 80's
same with grip , if linux [ubuntu in particular ] is going to have a snowballs chance in hell of increasing it's share of the desktop market some new ideas must emerge.

Do you really need 3 topics to put out the same idea? And I don't think eye candy is what holds Linux back, nor do I believe that putting a colorful candy shell on an app makes it good software. Frankly, any user who choses their OS and tools by how cool the widgets look or window transparency probably isn't a good candidate for Linux.

irish rebel
October 3rd, 2005, 04:46 PM
actually, the second post was by mistake because the new thread start stated I was logged out so I relogged in again and submitted again which Im sorry about.

Stormy Eyes
October 3rd, 2005, 04:55 PM
Frankly, any user who choses their OS and tools by how cool the widgets look or window transparency probably isn't a good candidate for Linux.

Bingo! If you want eye-candy, get a Mac. Stop bugging us. I'm sick of people who complain that apps aren't pretty enough or aren't 'user-friendly' enough before even bothering to figure out whether the app works.

poofyhairguy
October 3rd, 2005, 06:57 PM
Bingo! If you want eye-candy, get a Mac. Stop bugging us. I'm sick of people who complain that apps aren't pretty enough or aren't 'user-friendly' enough before even bothering to figure out whether the app works.

I 100% disagree. Just play with some gdesklets, xcompmgr, or E17 and you can see that Linux can serve the Eye Candy crowd just as good as OSX.

Nerds might hate dealing with this stuff, but often the problems have to do with legalities. For example- with acid rip- Ubuntu (and other distros) can't help develop that program without breaking the DCMA (I don't think). As you can tell by Gnome that things in which Ubuntu can help develop a good GUI for have good GUIs.

The problem comes with user demands. If the user demands to open word docs, play Windows media files, rip copy protected dvds, or other restricted things than Linux will be second rate at that task. Even Linspire is. The legalities of the situation make it that way.

Brunellus
October 3rd, 2005, 07:08 PM
Grip is my ripper of choice. SoundJuicer doesn't do it for me, yet.

And do I care particularly that it looks like it came from the '80s? No. The basic Roman letter-forms are largely unchanged after three milennia of use. They work fine.

Would I welcome a nicer-looking grip? Sure. Does it prevent me from using a perfectly serviceable piece of software? No.

In 99.9999% of the trials I've run for myself so far, free software is worth every penny I paid for it, and often more.

irish rebel
October 4th, 2005, 02:38 AM
I agree these apps work great , and we use them but we are linux users , so now put yourself in the shoes of a windows for life user , you meet him at a job or something he's bitching about virus' spyware all the usual [ and in my field I hear it alot] so now here is your opportunity tell him why he should switch to linux, we linux people are nothing if not evangelical but show him the apps they just look ughhh, yes they do the job , yes they are free, but try to think from their perspective.

mstlyevil
October 4th, 2005, 03:10 AM
I agree these apps work great , and we use them but we are linux users , so now put yourself in the shoes of a windows for life user , you meet him at a job or something he's bitching about virus' spyware all the usual [ and in my field I hear it alot] so now here is your opportunity tell him why he should switch to linux, we linux people are nothing if not evangelical but show him the apps they just look ughhh, yes they do the job , yes they are free, but try to think from their perspective.

In that situation I would help them install and set up Ubuntu to their liking. If it is eye candy they want, I will show them how to make their own eye candy that is way better than anything Windows has so far. Also I can show them how to use the users guide,the how to's, and the forums to get answers for questions when they can not get ahold of me. If all Linux users done things like this to help noob's, I dare say we could in a matter of 2 years move the market share of Linux to 50%.

Omnios
October 4th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Well Ubuntu users use Ubuntu because they want to not because they have to! With every release Ubuntu is like a sludge hammer taking a nice chunk out of the OS market share which isnt realy what its all about. It takes time for things to change and when it comes to computers that could mean a long time.

poofyhairguy
October 4th, 2005, 03:50 AM
I agree these apps work great , and we use them but we are linux users , so now put yourself in the shoes of a windows for life user , you meet him at a job or something he's bitching about virus' spyware all the usual [ and in my field I hear it alot] so now here is your opportunity tell him why he should switch to linux, we linux people are nothing if not evangelical

I agree that is a crucial moment. Thats why I wrote so much about it:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58862

but show him the apps they just look ughhh, yes they do the job , yes they are free, but try to think from their perspective.

I see that perspective all the time on the forum. Bascially anyone that will chose to deal with MS's problems just because a few Ubuntu programs look bad aren't going to like Ubuntu in the long run anyway. If its not the apps looks, it will be the fact that you can't install Windows apps. If its not that, its because you have to install things with synaptic instead of with nice fancy "next,next,next" guis. If its not that it will be the brown theme. If its not that it will be the lack of codec support. If its not that it will be something else.

Anyone that judges and decides against using Ubuntu for a single shallow reason would have eventually found another to make them unhappy. Ubuntu is not meant for those people. Its meant for users that want something that works. This forum is full of thousands of people that believe in that- over one million Ubuntu CDs have been shipped.

Plus, if nothing else Linux is about choice. You don't like the way a Gnome app looks? Use a KDE one. Use only KDE. The choice is yours. Only one app to do something you want and it looks bad? Rewrite it to not look bad- you have the code to start with.

mstlyevil
October 4th, 2005, 04:05 AM
I agree that is a crucial moment. Thats why I wrote so much about it:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58862

I see that perspective all the time on the forum. Bascially anyone that will chose to deal with MS's problems just because a few Ubuntu programs look bad aren't going to like Ubuntu in the long run anyway. If its not the apps looks, it will be the fact that you can't install Windows apps. If its not that, its because you have to install things with synaptic instead of with nice fancy "next,next,next" guis. If its not that it will be the brown theme. If its not that it will be the lack of codec support. If its not that it will be something else.

Anyone that judges and decides against using Ubuntu for a single shallow reason would have eventually found another to make them unhappy. Ubuntu is not meant for those people. Its meant for users that want something that works. This forum is full of thousands of people that believe in that- over one million Ubuntu CDs have been shipped.

Plus, if nothing else Linux is about choice. You don't like the way a Gnome app looks? Use a KDE one. Use only KDE. The choice is yours. Only one app to do something you want and it looks bad? Rewrite it to not look bad- you have the code to start with.

Very well put poofy.

lotusleaf
October 4th, 2005, 05:09 AM
I never liked the idea of linspire's CNR

Nor I and I still don't

however it is good and does work

Good? ... Not in my opinion ... Works? I sure hope it does if it co$ts. Personally, I'd rather pay someone to punch me in the stomach every month. I'd get the benefit of knowing how stupid I really was and we could share a laugh, and I'd still update my Ubuntu boxes for free.

Me too but I don't like CNR.

yes there are free open source apps that do anything the paid products do , but they are limited mostly by the fact I think

They are limited "mostly by the fact" you think? Care to try again in English?

I think Linux distros or software developers should take a few products that are under developement and put money and resources into them and devolope products that work better , but also look alot better.

I think happy people should spend their lives at the beach building magical sand castles which come alive when they sneeze happy sparkle bits on them and transport everyone who wishes into a wonderful land of "the fact I think"'s.

some new ideas must emerge

Emerge, hey well that's Gentoo! :)

Everyone can suggest and speculate, why not try coding something yourself and then we might have something to talk about here.

poofyhairguy
October 4th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Everyone can suggest and speculate, why not try coding something yourself and then we might have something to talk about here.

Play nice, not everyone who contributes can code. I can't code a single line of C personally.