PDA

View Full Version : up against vista

irish rebel
October 3rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Guys I have been in IT for the past 12 years, I have been playing with linux for the past 6 or 7 years. My house has been windows free for the past 4 years and believe me when you have 4 kids all at game playing age it has not been easy. Having said that my kids have played games some native linux , some ported and many with wine and cedega.
version 6.0x of ubuntu will be released at approx the same time as MS vista what does it have to do in order to take a share of the desktop? Ubuntu to me right now is awesome I have used it exclusivly for the past 6 months I love its ease of use and yet it has typical complexity so I have been sold! We as users have a duty to give our input and we in the linux community are being a chance never before given to us by MS ineptitude and sloppiness , I think ubuntu should work with some of the key apps
and develope guis that can look attractive have repositories of legal codecs and files
that customers can pay for if they choose.
Applications such as xine,mplayer ect should look great in order to make windows users want to try it.Nero has a Linux version Ubuntu should work a deal with Nero to have pre installed a 30 day version and if the user wants to sign up for it ubuntu would in turn get a small percentage of the proceeds. Open Office is a great product but its incredibly slow to start as opposed to MS Office it needs to more integrated or tuned with ubuntu.
Ubuntu should start a multimedia edition using freevo or myth that people building systems for Home Entertainment would have a choice when building these systems.
On the server front Linux in general has been doing great, I myself have over 30 servers where I work that I manage but if Ubuntu came out with a server version unto itself I honestly believe that ubuntu could capture not only a larger segmant of the linux market but also a piece of the PIE.

Dennis Laumen
October 3rd, 2005, 02:43 PM
Some good points there rebel!

Quite a good job getting your house completely Windows-free. I have tried it but I have a little brother who is non-convertible! I can even get him to use Firefox because one single page he uses doesn't work in it (yeah I mailed them already).

I personally think to key to succes is indeed improved media support (out-of-the-box support) and some simplification to the configuration process (although lots of work is already done, there is still the need to GEdit some files which will scare users away). Another important point is to keep on improving gadget support (mobile phones etc.), although it has already improved enormously the last year or so.

Gamers will still have the need for Windows though...

poofyhairguy
October 3rd, 2005, 06:53 PM
dupe thread, so I'll lock this one.