PDA

View Full Version : Will an alternative to Linux arrive ever???

gnome.youbuntoo
March 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Will an alternative to Linux arrive ever???

This is question in my mind after watching "The Code: Linux". Windows, Mac OS X and Linux are the most popular OS' today. So is it possible that a new OS with a new kernel will ever come, or will it just be improvements to the existing Linux Kernel?? Linux Torvalds mentions that a new OS will come in the next 50 years and the blueprints for this will be from Linux!!!

steveneddy
March 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
There is a new version now that is a hybrid version of Linux and Unix.

Kinda like the best if BSD and RedHat.

Small portions of the code that make up this new OS are in the current Linux kernel.

One version is a Doomsday version made for wartime that will run on almost any hardware that one would come across in wartime ( old and new or even obsolete )
to make any remote or distantly removed persons able to install or Live boot any PC and have access to network services or wireless if available.

The technology that comes from the OLPC PC project where each PC is a host and client and helps to make up a larger network in and of itself is part of this project.

If there is another PC near you that has wireless, you can connect to it, and it either of you can connect to another PC, it comes on line, until someone gets to a wireless access point and then all the PC's on this hybrid network are able to share that connection also.

Of course, the more wireless access points available to a network, large or small, the faster the speed.

The Doomsday OS used limited GUI resources.

Current PC's with wireless may be able to access this hybrid wireless network.

This is just one direction that the Linux kernel is going. I just find this scenario very interesting, especially in regards to the hybrid network where all PC's are nodes/hosts/clients.

This is one reason why we need to keep copper wire DSL alive.

Martje_001
March 2nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Maby this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_(operating_system)). Looks promising!

frenchn00b
March 2nd, 2008, 03:32 PM

This is question in my mind after watching "The Code: Linux". Windows, Mac OS X and Linux are the most popular OS' today. So is it possible that a new OS with a new kernel will ever come, or will it just be improvements to the existing Linux Kernel?? Linux Torvalds mentions that a new OS will come in the next 50 years and the blueprints for this will be from Linux!!!

LINUX WILL ALWAYS EXISTS MAN !!

that's OPEN SOURCE POWER

Martje_001
March 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
That's not what he asked..

SunnyRabbiera
March 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
I believe in the near future Sun Solaris can surpass linux once it is developed for the desktop.

crush304
March 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
gnu hurd is out there but nowhere near production from what I understand

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html

TenPlus1
March 2nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Personally I believe that Linux will keep on being developed, released, fixed, upgraded, tweaked etc. until one day a perfect os will be sitting on our desktops and we'll be wondering why Windows ever existed in the 1st place...

steveneddy
March 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Personally I believe that Linux will keep on being developed, released, fixed, upgraded, tweaked etc. until one day a perfect os will be sitting on our desktops and we'll be wondering why Windows ever existed in the 1st place...

I have the perfect desktop now, I believe, & I wonder why Windows was ever so popular all the time.

EDIT:

I believe that Linux is, I use Linux because, of the stability, dependability and relaibility more than the looks anyway.

ung/xunil
March 2nd, 2008, 05:15 PM

If, for some reason, Linux kernel would stop being developed, Debian has other kernel alternatives, for example Debian GNU/kFreeBSD (http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/).

That means that you can/could run a Debian system with a different kernel, with the packaging system and all of the Debian stuff without a Linux kernel. Certainly there fewer applications as in Linux, but *BSD can run linux apps, so it is a kernel alternative.

phrostbyte
March 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
There are a lot of other OSes. Hundreds even. But the better question would be, will there ever be a popular non-POSIX OS other then Windows? This I doubt, at least for a very long time. Virtually every single OS in existence today is POSIX complaint (cept of course for Windows).Even Windows, while not POSIX, does borrow a great deal about OS structure from Unix. So the idea is despite there being so many OSes they aren't very different from one another at a core level.

gnome.youbuntoo
March 4th, 2008, 06:21 PM
There are a lot of other OSes. Hundreds even. But the better question would be, will there ever be a popular non-POSIX OS other then Windows? This I doubt, at least for a very long time. Virtually every single OS in existence today is POSIX complaint (cept of course for Windows).Even Windows, while not POSIX, does borrow a great deal about OS structure from Unix. So the idea is despite there being so many OSes they aren't very different from one another at a core level.
what is a POSIX OS?

steveneddy
March 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM
what is a POSIX OS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX

popch
March 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM
... Virtually every single OS in existence today is POSIX complaint (cept of course for Windows).Even Windows, while not POSIX, does borrow a great deal about OS structure from Unix. ...

Does this mean that the Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 are not POSIX compliant?

SFU enables Windows and UNIX clients and servers to share network resources, integrates account management, simplifies cross-platform management, and provides a full UNIX scripting and application execution environment that runs natively on Windows.Source: Microsoft Technet (http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/bb463212%28en-us%29.aspx)

airtonix
March 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
what is a POSIX OS?I lol'd

Does this mean that the Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 are not POSIX compliant? might be but have you used them?

I have, and it looks like MS has done as little as possible to make the use of it smooth, efficient, similar in workflow (to other windows server operations) AS POSSIBLE.

you cant rely on it to copy data....

you cant rely on it to sync....

you just plain *cant rely on it*

Even Windows, while not POSIX, does borrow a great deal about OS structure from Unix.you may think that, but really...windows is jus a cocaroach wrapped in so many band-aids, it bounces around the kitchen when you make toast

popch
March 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
might be but have you used them?

Thankfully, no. I was just hoping someone already knew the answer.

One more thing learned. Thank you.

k2t0f12d
March 4th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Off the top shelf there is BSD UNIX and Sun Solaris. How do these not count as alternatives to the Linux kernel?

Frankly, there is no reason I see to worry unduly over diversity in the operating system kernel choices. Linux has the lead between systems because of the amount of support it receives. Quite frankly, BSD and Solaris borrow more code, especially drivers, from Linux then vice versa. Linux is also licensed under terms that more aggressively ensure its stability to both the home and business user. BSD licensed code can end up in other free software, hidden in proprietary code, or simply forked off into complete chaos. History shows us that BSD code invariably takes all of these paths. However, the GPL, especially version 3, gives very firm answers to business as to what the split is going to be down the road.

PrimoTurbo
March 4th, 2008, 08:19 PM
There is a new version now that is a hybrid version of Linux and Unix.

Kinda like the best if BSD and RedHat.

Small portions of the code that make up this new OS are in the current Linux kernel.

One version is a Doomsday version made for wartime that will run on almost any hardware that one would come across in wartime ( old and new or even obsolete )
to make any remote or distantly removed persons able to install or Live boot any PC and have access to network services or wireless if available.

The technology that comes from the OLPC PC project where each PC is a host and client and helps to make up a larger network in and of itself is part of this project.

If there is another PC near you that has wireless, you can connect to it, and it either of you can connect to another PC, it comes on line, until someone gets to a wireless access point and then all the PC's on this hybrid network are able to share that connection also.

Of course, the more wireless access points available to a network, large or small, the faster the speed.

The Doomsday OS used limited GUI resources.

Current PC's with wireless may be able to access this hybrid wireless network.

This is just one direction that the Linux kernel is going. I just find this scenario very interesting, especially in regards to the hybrid network where all PC's are nodes/hosts/clients.

Sounds really interesting.

k2t0f12d
March 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM

Better then hardwire, what about software defined radio? If used in conjunction with ham radio equipment, what is the networking potential with the technology we already have?