PDA

View Full Version : Curious how many of us will upgrade?

chris4585
March 2nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
i'm curious to see how many of us will upgrade to hardy heron when it comes out

(messed up on making a poll)

Rhubarb
March 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
I'll sure to be upgrading within a day or two when it is released. If I can hold on that long.

I might end up using the release candidate as I'm not patient enough :)

NightwishFan
March 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
I am most definitely getting Hardy. I will upgrade the day it comes out, which happens to be my birthday. :)

chris4585
March 2nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
I am most definitely getting Hardy. I will upgrade the day it comes out, which happens to be my birthday. :)

really? now thats cool, i too will probably download and upgrade to hardy the day if not the day after it comes out :)

hhhhhx
March 2nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
me :)

billgoldberg
March 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
I won't upgrade, but i'll make a clean install of hardy the first week it comes out.

A question, will the gtk2 themes on gnome look still work with hardy?

spamzilla
March 2nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
I'm using Hardy alpha 5 and it rocks :guitar:

CaptainCabinet
March 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
I'll upgrade to Hardy the second it comes out. Can't wait. :D

OrangeCrate
March 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
I'll wait a couple of weeks until all the Firefox extensions are working.

Scruffynerf
March 2nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
I'll probably give it a week or two to let the servers and the bugs get out a bit, however I'll certainly install over my Feisty install.

That is, if it works for me. Gutsy didn't, but hoping that Hardy will.

vishzilla
March 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
Definitely!!!

eilu
March 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
likely within the first couple of weeks.

gnome.youbuntoo
March 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
I'm using Hardy alpha 5 and it rocks :guitar:
what advantages are present exactly? can u name any improvements? i would also be v.happy, if u start a new thread about the good things u noticed in hardy.

marco123
March 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
In October when the support for Feisty ends I'll upgrade to Hardy. I just pray it's as rock solid as Feisty is now. (Feisty AMD64 is the best experience I've ever had with an OS. I haven't even restarted since last November!.):)

gnome.youbuntoo
March 2nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
Definitely!!!
i wanna how to install hardy over gusty. do i need to delete all the gusty files, format and then install hardy??( b'coz no upgrade option is visible when i boot with my 7.10 cd)

LaRoza
March 2nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
I started with Dapper, then went to Feisty, upgraded to Gutsy, and it has only gotten better. I will upgrade, or more likely, do a fresh install.

Whether I will continue to upgrade on every release is not decided yet.

gnome.youbuntoo
March 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
In October when the support for Feisty ends I'll upgrade to Hardy. I just pray it's as rock solid as Feisty is now. (Feisty AMD64 is the best experience I've ever had with an OS. I haven't even restarted since last November!.):)
do u run a server? or is ur system airconditioned!!! i switch off my system daily

gnome.youbuntoo
March 2nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
I started with Dapper, then went to Feisty, upgraded to Gutsy, and it has only gotten better. I will upgrade, or more likely, do a fresh install.

Whether I will continue to upgrade on every release is not decided yet.
plz answer my questions???

arigram
March 2nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
The question is:
- Why wouldn't you upgrade to Hardy?
What would be the reason not to use a more stable, featured and supported distribution?

LaRoza
March 2nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
The question is:
- Why wouldn't you upgrade to Hardy?
What would be the reason not to use a more stable, featured and supported distribution?

* System works
* Time contraints
* Perceived benefit is less than perceived effort

There are very good reasons not to upgrade.

LaRoza
March 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
i wanna how to install hardy over gusty. do i need to delete all the gusty files, format and then install hardy??( b'coz no upgrade option is visible when i boot with my 7.10 cd)

You can:

* Upgrade through the upgrade manager over the internet, keeps settings.
* Upgrade with the alternative disk (not the live disk), keeps settings.
* Do a fresh install, usually the best option as it has the least oppurtunity for errors, but it requires you to reconfigure and reinstall everything. You can save your home directory to keep settings and configurations.

gnome.youbuntoo
March 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
* System works
* Time contraints
* Perceived benefit is less than perceived effort

There are very good reasons not to upgrade.
LaRoza, ur answer is not clear. plz explain

vishzilla
March 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM

When Hardy Heron releases, you will get an intimation in the Update Manager to upgrade to the latest release. Or you can download the ISOs to the Live CD (or alternate CD).

gnome.youbuntoo
March 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
You can:

* Upgrade through the upgrade manager over the internet, keeps settings.
* Upgrade with the alternative disk (not the live disk), keeps settings.
* Do a fresh install, usually the best option as it has the least oppurtunity for errors, but it requires you to reconfigure and reinstall everything. You can save your home directory to keep settings and configurations.
"save your home directory to keep settings and configurations." HOW??
where can i get the alternative cd, LaRoza??

vishzilla
March 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

There are many ways to backup your home directory
1. Backup in an external disk.
2. Have a separate /home partition

infoseeker
March 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
I always download the iso after the release and do a fresh install (dual boot for a month or so).

I was thinking about possibly going the Kubuntu way as a change (KDE4) or is that not stable enough yet?

gnome.youbuntoo
March 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

There are many ways to backup your home directory
1. Backup in an external disk.
2. Have a separate /home partition
how should i create a separate /home partition? I can't understand manual partitioning.

pbpersson
March 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
LaRoza, ur answer is not clear. plz explain

Resons not to upgrade:

System works - The current release you are on works, so why upgrade?

Time constraints - You do not have the time to spend with an upgrade

Effort is greater than perceive benefit - The amount of time spent would not really make your life much better

pbpersson
March 2nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
In theory, since I have two Gutsy machines here, I should use the 64-bit as my test machine and install Hardy there.

Now if I was smart......I would put together a list of all the applications that are important to me so I know what to test.

You should have seen how upset I was when I installed Gutsy and could not see color weather radar loops in Firefox.....oh my gosh.....not a pretty sight. :(

linuxisfree
March 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
I would upgrade, but not immediately... I'd wait a while, though... (a month maybe, just so [hopefully] by then the 'kinks' - if any - would be fixed)

LaRoza
March 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM

Copy your home directory, and puts its contents in the new installation's...

You can get the alternative cd from the download page.

ramkumail
March 2nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
I will upgrade as soon as the beta release is out..

Kevbert
March 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
I will, once full release is out.

angry_johnnie
March 2nd, 2008, 02:42 PM
I don't think so. I might do a clean install, though. I'm running both gutsy and feisty on the same computer right now (i like beryl that much), but I've changed so many things I think an upgrade would bring me nothing but headaches. Space is really not a problem, so I guess I'll just squeeze in another partition for hardy, just to see whether I'll eventually install it on top of gutsy (not feisty... I really want to keep beryl :)).

steveneddy
March 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
I've been waiting for this LTS. I would like for my laptop to have a stable release, but this means that I'm going to have to get another PC for a toy.

gn2
March 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
I really want to keep beryl :)

It's still available to download from the Beryl project website: http://www.beryl-project.org/releases.php

angry_johnnie
March 2nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
It's still available to download from the Beryl project website: http://www.beryl-project.org/releases.php

hey thanks! I'll look that up :)

DalekClock
March 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM

There should be an 'Upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron"'option on the Update Manager in your current instant. It keeps all your documents, settings and installed apps(if they're on the new repositry).

some_random_noob
March 2nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
I'll upgrade a few weeks after it is released. I hope it will remain the "standard" for many years to come :)

Superkoop
March 2nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
I plan on doing a fresh install, just because I have nothing better to do...and because my parents are getting this computer when I go to college and I would like them to have something that I won't need to update for them as soon. =P
But I probably won't do it that day, maybe 3-4 days later...it's going to take me that long to download according to me estimations... lol
But I am looking forward to the release so I have something to do (as if I already don't have enough to do)

Vadi
March 2nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
I'll wait two weeks before the major bugs / server load is down and upgrade.

I'm already pleased with the things they've done in hardy, so, I'm looking forward to it.

feest
March 2nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
I will probably perform a clean install when hady comes out. I don't like using release candidate because gutsy gibbon stll feels "beta" to me. Just to many bugs from the start to workaround...

Barrucadu
March 2nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
I'll be upgrading as soon as possible, I like to have the newest version of things :)
I might do a fresh install of Kubuntu on my laptop. I installed it on my desktop and now that I've got it looking usable, I like it more than regular Ubuntu.

Zeotronic
March 2nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
I will upgrade after its download is finished... which will take me about a week.
Actually I suppose technically I'll be wiping my current install and then installing it, but you get the idea.

hessiess
March 2nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
probly stick with fawn for now, unless it actually offers something usfal.

intense.ego
March 2nd, 2008, 11:22 PM
@gnome.youbuntoo:

to create a home partition read this guide: http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

rubinstein
March 2nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
The interesting thing here is, a lot of people say they will wait a few weeks after the release until the bugs are fixed - well, isn't it so that in Ubuntu only very major bugs will get a fix after the release? We are not Fedora, which has a different bug fixing/new release policy.

I don't think the bug situation will get much better after a release, so if you want your bugs fixed, now is the time to do that. And right after the new release it should be ready to install.

I certainly will upgrade, if all my bugs are fixed and there are no regressions (which I unfortunately have now.)

macogw
March 3rd, 2008, 02:22 AM
I already have.

dkrus
March 3rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
I will when it comes out.

kolslorr
March 3rd, 2008, 03:35 AM
Hardy Heron is better than Gutsy by leaps, at least on my system...

I have ran Ubuntu from before Feisty... and all I can say is... Hardy is the only version that works out-of-the-box for almost everything... I am surprised that Network Manager finally works properly now, and Compiz Fusion actually works flawlessly without a single tweak.... this is just amazing for an old PC with AMD gfx chip...

The CPU usage has been improved significantly too... serious...

Somethings are still broken... like Wine and Miro.... but these are non-critical and i do think it will get fixed when the real Hardy comes out next mth... as of now I am happy with the Alpha... the best ever.

kamaboko
March 3rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
I gave Hardy Heron Alpha 5 and OpenSuse 10.3 a shot this weekend. Hardy coughed and sputtered on my laptop. It had to go immediately. OpenSuse on the other hand looked absolutely great. One problem though: it would not pick up my WiFi card. I tried a number of tutorials and wrapper configurations. It was a big "no go". I'm back to Linux Mint for the time being.

SZF2001
March 3rd, 2008, 04:01 AM
I'm going to partition my HD and see if Hardy can finally work with my ******* WUSB11v4 card.

If everything is flawless, even if I have to use ndiswrapper (because I did that before, but it would only send out signal and not retrieve anything), I will... I dunno. Get rid of XP finally.

fissionmailed
March 3rd, 2008, 04:03 AM
I'll wait a couple of weeks or so or just install it in another partition and dual boot for a while.

Specter043
March 3rd, 2008, 04:14 AM
I'm going to upgrade, because I love new stuff.

solitaire
March 3rd, 2008, 04:19 AM
I'll wait a week or 2 before upgrading. just to be sure those "HUGE mini annoying" bugs have been spotted and fixed :)

coolbrook
March 3rd, 2008, 04:34 AM
One of my systems doesn't like Feisty or Gutsy CD's so I'll probably upgrade on that one. I'm not so sure if I'll be doing any clean installs. Maybe on a couple other systems.

chips24
March 3rd, 2008, 04:36 AM
i'm curious to see how many of us will upgrade to hardy heron when it comes out

(messed up on making a poll)

im pretty satisfied with 7.10

jcwmoore
March 3rd, 2008, 04:38 AM
i'll move to hardy when the RC comes out, i've been demoing the alphas on a VM and it works great, I want to have the leatest but avoid the rush of downloading in the first few days of the release.

TreeFinger
March 3rd, 2008, 05:09 AM
My monitor or my video card can not currently display the 7.10 log-in screen. Hopefully the next version fixes this. I'll be trying it immediately. I had to uninstall 7.10 and go to debian. Been using more windows actually :(

chris4585
March 3rd, 2008, 05:19 AM
when is the next alpha coming out anyone? I'm asking because my system is a bit buggy atm, one thing thats been annoying is when i copy and paste i get "ŸŸ" for some reason, which is very annoying, i want to know how long the next alpha will be if there is a next one so i know to go ahead and install hardy alpha 5 now or wait till the next one

chris4585
March 3rd, 2008, 05:21 AM
im pretty satisfied with 7.10

i am too, but i just cant wait for hardy or even 8.10 even though it will be a while :[

akiratheoni
March 3rd, 2008, 05:32 AM
I'll be doing a clean install of Hardy.

PurposeOfReason
March 3rd, 2008, 05:40 AM
What is this, "version" you speak of? Arch FTW!

I'll probably get it when it comes out, or within a week and mess around with it to see where Ubuntu is getting.

linux phreak
March 3rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
I have upgraded in the past (fiesty to gutsy).But i am planning a clean install this time.

SomeGuyDude
March 3rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
I'll do a clean install immediately. However, I do that fairly often with Gutsy since I tend to break things, so I've no problems with giving it a go. Even if it goes *** up, I can just wipe and start again.

handy
March 3rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
I'll do an upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy on my 2nd machine, which has a recent fresh install of Gutsy.

I will be interested to see if it or envy can handle my graphics card any better, amongst enjoying the inevitable added polish that Hardy will bring.

I'm still blown away by how much more polished Gutsy was than Feisty! :lolflag:

Sukarn
March 3rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
I usually start using the development versions during their alpha phase, but this time I'm going to keep gutsy on my computer till May, as I've got my last school exams going on, and then I'll be having various "after school" exams till sometime in May.

Vingummi
March 3rd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Yes, a new install of hardy.

sanderella
March 3rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'll wait a couple of weeks till any bugs are sorted out.:KS