PDA

View Full Version : Riaa

xequence
October 3rd, 2005, 12:22 AM
Uh, I just found out that on every 100 blank CDs you buy, the RIAA gets a 21$ media levy. It is because they can be used to burn albums. Are they allowed to get this AND sue P2Pers? I bought 50 CDs today, for 20$. That means the levy on them is 10$, which is half! This is odd. On another site, someone posted "what were the last three things you bought?" and most of them had blank CDs in there, so that means blank CDs are bought alot. Thats alot of money for the RIAA, plus the 10,000 lawsuits they made.

http://www.ccfda.ca/index_eng.html

Did you know that the music industry already charges you a levy on most recordable media that you buy, like blank CDs, minidisks, and audio-cassettes? Plus GST and PST!

Moreover, consumers who do not even use storage media to record music are also forced to pay the levy.

A consumer who purchases a 100-pack of blank CD-Rs currently pays a levy of $21 per 100 CDs.

This seems to be only in Canada though...

23meg
October 3rd, 2005, 12:26 AM
it happens in the US as well, though their cut is less i think. the RIAA is pure evil. you can use this (http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/) to avoid it.

for more anti-RIAA activism check out http://www.downhillbattle.org

xequence
October 3rd, 2005, 12:33 AM
it happens in the US as well, though their cut is less i think. the RIAA is pure evil. you can use this (http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/) to avoid it.

for more anti-RIAA activism check out http://www.downhillbattle.org

The only album ive ever bought, I looked on RIAA radar after I bought it, and it was on there :(

Their business practices kind of make me wanna move to russia or china and have a giant music torrent tracker site, with RIAA music on it.

poofyhairguy
October 3rd, 2005, 12:38 AM
The last bunch of blanks I bought cost 12cents a cd. The RIAA isn't getting much from me!

Kyral
October 3rd, 2005, 12:51 AM
The RIAA is pure evil. Hell they make Microsoft look GOOD.

Let me put it another way. I'd rather have a Microsoft product than a RIAA product

xequence
October 3rd, 2005, 02:42 AM
The RIAA is pure evil. Hell they make Microsoft look GOOD.

Let me put it another way. I'd rather have a Microsoft product than a RIAA product
Thats what I said, the first sentence, awhile ago :P

The last bunch of blanks I bought cost 12cents a cd. The RIAA isn't getting much from me!

Well, thats american money :P What quanity did you buy it in?

NeoSNightmarE
October 3rd, 2005, 04:21 AM
The RIAA suck. They sued me a while ago. The lawyers were like the ones I had to deal with when testifying for my friend....pricks. But as for how much they suck on the scale:

*>Intel>Microsoft>MPAA>RIAA

drogoh
October 3rd, 2005, 04:34 AM
*>Intel>Microsoft>MPAA>RIAA

What, no SCO there?

NeoSNightmarE
October 3rd, 2005, 05:00 AM
What, no SCO there?
Damn. I always forget someone in all my charts. This time it was them and some others I'm sure.

Updated:

*>Intel>Microsoft>MPAA>SCO>RIAA

aragorn2909
October 3rd, 2005, 05:45 AM
Uh, I just found out that on every 100 blank CDs you buy, the RIAA gets a 21$ media levy. It is because they can be used to burn albums. Are they allowed to get this AND sue P2Pers?...
This seems to be only in Canada though...
To be clear, this levy is on of the reasons organizations like the RIAA and the CRIA CAN NOT sue P2Pers in Canada. That, and the Copyright Act essentially states that it is legal, for now, to download (not upload) copyrighted works, and to copy said works. As you'll notice, not one single RIAA lawsuit in Canada.
BTW, its a 21 cent levy per, not 21 dollars

weasel fierce
October 3rd, 2005, 06:01 AM
so these mobsters are getting money from a product that they did not produce, retail, sell or invent, to keep them from sueing people?

23meg
October 3rd, 2005, 06:11 AM
right. when you buy a blank cd you are supposed to have commited a criminal act, and someone else instantly earns money because of this act. this is like being arrested for murder the moment you buy a weapon.

darkmatter
October 3rd, 2005, 07:01 AM
right. when you buy a blank cd you are supposed to have commited a criminal act, and someone else instantly earns money because of this act. this is like being arrested for murder the moment you buy a weapon.

I wouldn't go that far. Though I do disagree with having to pay a levy to the RIAA for a product I use for DATA. I would hardly equate the purchase to criminal activity.

This is just another example of capitalism at it's greatest.

Milk the cow until it bleeds.:rolleyes:

23meg
October 4th, 2005, 05:29 AM
well it's not me who's equating the purchase to criminal activity; it's the RIAA!

demanding a cut from the sales of blank media means they're supposing that a considerable percentage of the people who buy blanks are going to "steal music", which in their definition and that of the state a criminal act. so by buying blanks you're putting yourself under suspect, and submitting to a system which treats you as a potential criminal when you exercise one of your basic rights.

i say: civil disobedience to the end. to roughly paraphrase a very nice write-up on Slashdot (which didn't smell Slashdot at all if you know what i mean) on the issue that i can't reach at the moment: do they tell you not to copy copyrighted RIAA music? do it anyway. do they tell you you can't use deCSS to decrypt your OWN DVDs? do it anyway. there are different ways of opposing different forms of fascism, and if the enemy is playing brute force, so should you. these folks don't seem to understand any other language than that of sales figures.

darkmatter
October 4th, 2005, 08:19 AM
True.

At some levels, the 'enemy' (general comment about the system. not the RIAA specifically) has played dirty with me all my life, and I've never been one to take it laying down.

MinoltaLuvR
October 4th, 2005, 09:02 AM
actually, this isnt anything new, the music industry has been getting kickbacks since recordable music. thats right.. tapes.
and IIRC, the movie industry has been getting kickbacks since VCR tapes burst on the scene.. or shortly there after.

you can find more info on it if you google, i found out about this long ago.
i hate paying $15-$20 for a cd, to find i only like one or two tracks.. and thats usually the tracks released on the radio.. go figure.
and been to the movies lately? sheesh, it used to be a good cheap place to go for entertainment, and if you take a date to the theater.. better bring the debit/cc card with ya. last time i went to see a movie i spent $10 for the ticket, another $10-$15 at the snack stand (Thats one drink, a tub of popcorn, and some candy!)
to find out the movie sucked badly, i was pissed i wasted 90mins of my life i'll never get back.

what i find so amusing, we're given the tools to be able to do this, CDRW drives, blank cd's, software, and then we're expected NOT to do it?! please.
what other reason do i need 1.5+ megabit down for? even in the broadband commercials they say "download movies and music faster than ever".
thats like leaving the keys in a running car in front of a store in a bad neighborhood, and being suprised when you come out of the store, to see your car gone.

cheers

bjweeks
October 4th, 2005, 10:16 AM
actually, this isnt anything new, the music industry has been getting kickbacks since recordable music. thats right.. tapes.
and IIRC, the movie industry has been getting kickbacks since VCR tapes burst on the scene.. or shortly there after.
you can find more info on it if you google, i found out about this long ago.
i hate paying $15-$20 for a cd, to find i only like one or two tracks.. and thats usually the tracks released on the radio.. go figure.
and been to the movies lately? sheesh, it used to be a good cheap place to go for entertainment, and if you take a date to the theater.. better bring the debit/cc card with ya. last time i went to see a movie i spent $10 for the ticket, another $10-$15 at the snack stand (Thats one drink, a tub of popcorn, and some candy!)
to find out the movie sucked badly, i was pissed i wasted 90mins of my life i'll never get back.
what i find so amusing, we're given the tools to be able to do this, CDRW drives, blank cd's, software, and then we're expected NOT to do it?! please.
what other reason do i need 1.5+ megabit down for? even in the broadband commercials they say "download movies and music faster than ever".
thats like leaving the keys in a running car in front of a store in a bad neighborhood, and being suprised when you come out of the store, to see your car gone.
cheers

Stealing is wrong.

Treating everbody like a criminal is wrong.

Infringing on the public's writes because some steal is wrong.

Like many have said before there is not a electronic solution to a social problem and for all of you out there who think that because the big bad Riaa is suing innocent people, not paying artits a fair share or any of the many stupid things the riaa is doing stealing is still WRONG!

23meg
October 4th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Like many have said before there is not a electronic solution to a social problem and for all of you out there who think that because the big bad Riaa is suing innocent people, not paying artits a fair share or any of the many stupid things the riaa is doing stealing is still WRONG!

do you have any social suggestions to solve this problem? even though you acknowledge all the nastiness of the RIAA, do you not have any desire to take action against it?

PatrickMay16
October 4th, 2005, 10:48 AM
The RIAA sucks, man. It's a good thing that most of the music I listen to is free music, or music which I made myself.

Kvark
October 4th, 2005, 10:56 AM
do you have any social suggestions to solve this problem? even though you acknowledge all the nastiness of the RIAA, do you not have any desire to take action against it?
I kinda agree with bjweeks, getting propriarity music without paying is wrong.

A better way to take action is to refuse to listen to propriarity music and stick to Free music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_music).

bjweeks
October 4th, 2005, 11:10 AM
The social solution is the justice system. You break them law you will have to pay(I don't mean 100,000 for 1 song) or serve you debt to society. If kids break them they should go through the juvenile justice system. Just like if they stole a CD. The RIAA is trying to act like cops, they think they can stop music sharing with a few congressmen in there pocket and some DRM. It just wont work cause there is allways somebody that will crack it. No ISP, DRM, LAW, or any other bs the Riaa will pull out of there ass will work. Period. It is just making everbody despise them so there digging there own grave. With the popularity of pod casting, bit torrent and other distribution methods it is getting even easier to distribute you content with the need for large distribution companies. I believe that people who break the law should be held accountable but the RIAA should have no part in any of it. RIAA needs to sell music and the justice system needs to punish criminals.

MinoltaLuvR
October 4th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I believe that people who break the law should be held accountable but the RIAA should have no part in any of it. RIAA needs to sell music and the justice system needs to punish criminals.

well what the RIAA is doing is monitoring peoples activity and reporting it to the "police" and seeking legal action. if i left the keys in my car, with the car running and someone stole it, its up to me to report it being stolen, or the cops have no way of knowing its been stolen.

so let me clarify some things:
i dont download music beyond radio released tracks.
i dont download movies, i just dont care to, i have cable tv, i can wait the 3 months give or take for it to go from the big screen to my tv screen.

a pc is a combination of a Tape deck and a VCR for the new age, we can record and even edit on it too. the RIAA needs to open their eyes to that fact, the sooner the better.

cheers

YourSurrogateGod
October 4th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Check out my sig... yeh, I know... in German... but still anti-RIAA.

Stormy Eyes
October 4th, 2005, 03:03 PM
do you have any social suggestions to solve this problem?

Public hangings are very social, I've read.

even though you acknowledge all the nastiness of the RIAA, do you not have any desire to take action against it?

Not at all. I do as I will, and deal with the consequences as they arise. Let others cower in fear of law, society, and the RIAA; such nonsense is beneath me.

xequence
October 4th, 2005, 08:33 PM
so these mobsters are getting money from a product that they did not produce, retail, sell or invent, to keep them from sueing people?

I am fine with it. Keeps their goonies away from us.

In the windows XP intro thingy, when you install XP, it tells you that windows media player can play movies and music downloaded from the internet. The U.S. sumpreme court says P2P companies are encouraging illegal downloading? The DRM king its self, microsoft is :P

If kids break them they should go through the juvenile justice system. Just like if they stole a CD

Its just the thing though... P2P isnt stealing. Lets say you have a magic machine that can copy things. Someone has bought a corvette. You couldent buy it, so they let you come over and copy it. Everyone is happy. You couldent buy the corvette anyway, so you just gain something you wouldent otherwise have gotten.

I cant afford to buy albums. I get 5$ allowance a week, I could buy an album every month. What if it turned out to be a bad album? Well, I have to wait another month for new music.

Check out my sig... yeh, I know... in German... but still anti-RIAA.

Musik is german for music, right? I learned something ;)

bjweeks
October 4th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I cant afford to buy albums. I get 5$ allowance a week, I could buy an album every month. What if it turned out to be a bad album? Well, I have to wait another month for new music.

So do you think kids should have go to court or there perents sued for 200,000?

23meg
October 4th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Public hangings are very social, I've read.

Not at all. I do as I will, and deal with the consequences as they arise. Let others cower in fear of law, society, and the RIAA; such nonsense is beneath me.
why leave them to cower in fear and make matters worse when we can maybe open some of their eyes with a bit of old fashioned activism? isn't it their fear that makes RIAA policies prevail?

Stormy Eyes
October 4th, 2005, 09:08 PM
why leave them to cower in fear and make matters worse when we can maybe open some of their eyes with a bit of old fashioned activism? isn't it their fear that makes RIAA policies prevail?

If you're not willing to raise your own fist, then don't expect me to raise mine in your name.

Stormy Eyes
October 4th, 2005, 09:12 PM

And you depend solely on your allowance? You don't have a job, or do yardwork for neighbors to get cash? Do you even collect cans and bottles to redeem for five cents a piece? You're not entitled to music, so don't expect sympathy just because your parents only give you $20 a month and there's a possibility that you might blow it on a bad album.

And if you think wasting $20 is bad, try wasting $3,000 'cos you thought you loved somebody.

mstlyevil
October 4th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Just remember you can still legally copy music off the radio with a cd recorder. That is why i find it hypocritical for the RIAA to be going after file sharing. The RIAA is not losing money to pirates, they are just putting out crap that people do not want to pay 20 dollars an album for. Until they wake up and let real artist start releasing music again, they are going to continue having problems.

bjweeks
October 4th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Just remember you can still legally copy music off the radio with a cd recorder.
I might be mistaken but I thought that was illegal also.

mstlyevil
October 4th, 2005, 09:30 PM
I might be mistaken but I thought that was illegal also.

Nope the courts have consistantly ruled it was legal.

bjweeks
October 4th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Nope the courts have consistantly ruled it was legal.
Yes, I think your right. My bad.

xequence
October 4th, 2005, 10:36 PM
And you depend solely on your allowance? You don't have a job, or do yardwork for neighbors to get cash? Do you even collect cans and bottles to redeem for five cents a piece? You're not entitled to music, so don't expect sympathy just because your parents only give you $20 a month and there's a possibility that you might blow it on a bad album.

I dont expect sympathy. I have saved 300$ which I hope to buy a new computer before christmas. And I dont even have a comment on your " you're not entitled to music" thought. I was just stating a point that music costs to much, though I probably could have said it in a better way. I am not desperate for money, if I was, id get a job.

I just cant belive this, just when I think someone is nice, they say something like this o_O

Kvark
October 4th, 2005, 10:38 PM
That is no excuse. You can stay legal and avoid costs at the same time by listening to Free music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_music) instead. If you really think propriarity music is so much better then Free music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_music) that you just gotta have the propriarity stuff then you obviously think it's worth spending your small allowance on it.

Stormy Eyes
October 4th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I just cant belive this, just when I think someone is nice, they say something like this o_O

I've never, ever claimed to be nice. I am a heartless, unforgiving, opinionated bastard, and I am not in the habit of pulling my punches.

bjweeks
October 4th, 2005, 10:47 PM
I've never, ever claimed to be nice. I am a heartless, unforgiving, opinionated bastard, and I am not in the habit of pulling my punches.
At least your trueful, lol.

YourSurrogateGod
October 5th, 2005, 03:25 AM
At least your trueful, lol.
I like Stormy. I remember him from the Gentoo forums and the hell that he raised there. Imo, he knows much about the ways of the world by the responses that he gives (something that I'm learning as time goes on.)

YourSurrogateGod
October 5th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Musik is german for music, right? I learned something ;)
Yeh. My beef against RIAA is that those bastards shut down file-sharing services, that can be used for legal means, simply because they could be or are being used for illegal means. If I buy a car to mow someone down in the street, maybe we should stop all car-manufacturers from making cars...

aragorn2909
October 5th, 2005, 07:25 AM
That is no excuse. You can stay legal and avoid costs at the same time by listening to Free music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_music) instead. If you really think propriarity music is so much better then Free music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_music) that you just gotta have the propriarity stuff then you obviously think it's worth spending your small allowance on it.
I thought that was the whole point of this thread, the 21 cent levy that xequence and I pay on each blank cd, cassette, whatever, keeps us legal in this country whether we are downloading off a p2p network and burning, borrowing our best friend's new cd and burning it for ourselves, whatever. The assumption is that we ARE going to burn/record copyrighted music onto it and artists and the organizations that "represent" them need to be remunerated. Whether or not I'm using that blank disk for data or music or pictures, 21 cents is a small price for me to pay (one which I'm happy to pay) for the piece of mind that comes with knowing that I, or xequence, or his parents, or some disabled minority under the poverty line single mother WILL NOT be sued by the CRIA or the RIAA for downloading a 15 year old Metallica song. So xequence, you can continue to stay legal AND avoid costs at the same time by downloading whatever crappy proprietary music you like and burning it to a blank cd. The privelige only cost you 21 cents Canadian.

Stormy Eyes
October 5th, 2005, 02:20 PM
I like Stormy. I remember him from the Gentoo forums and the hell that he raised there. Imo, he knows much about the ways of the world by the responses that he gives (something that I'm learning as time goes on.)

Thanks. I've tried to tone it down here; I haven't flamed anybody the way I flamed that guy Redseal on FGO.

Stormy Eyes
October 5th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Yeh. My beef against RIAA is that those bastards shut down file-sharing services, that can be used for legal means, simply because they could be or are being used for illegal means. If I buy a car to mow someone down in the street, maybe we should stop all car-manufacturers from making cars...

Well, we already try to ban guns because they can be used to commit murder, even though they can also be used for hunting, sport shooting, and self-defense. So why not ban P2P tech as well? The principle's already been applied in other areas.

ygarl
October 5th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Heheh just buy them in UK on EBay - no RIAA here! LMAO

WirelessMike
October 5th, 2005, 05:08 PM
http://www.boycottriaa.com/
http://www.eff.org/

The RIAA is not out to right wrongs. It is designed to make a profit. It is no more interested in the pursuit of justice than Eminem and Metallica are interested in music for pure artistic reasons. It's about money. The profit the RIAA makes on cdrs, which is the topic of this thread, is testament to this fact.

It's a well-known fact that cd sales have slipped considerably in the last 10 years or so. The RIAA contends that this is a direct result of file-sharing. What else could it be, after all? I mean-- the price of a cd is MORE than reasonable and the music is SO good... PLUS you get 11 to 13 great songs on a cd (any one of them could be a #1 hit on any given day), right? Therefore, poor cd sales can ONLY be attributed to sharing music online.

While I don't participate in uploading music for a variety of reasons, I also can't personally justify the means used by the RIAA to "protect the rights of artists." The fact that they are compensated for the sale of cdrs, and the hypocrisy that infers, only strengthens my resolve in boycotting the artists and recording companies they represent.

Maybe it's just me... I know there are starving artists out there, but it's difficult to be sympathetic while watching Eminem (one of the RIAA's most outspoken advocates) on MTV's "Cribs" showing off his 3rd custom Cadillac Escalade.

By the way-- If you think the RIAA WILL NOT sue you if you don't share music, etc. You need to think again.
http://www.boycottriaa.com/article/18288

It is the RIAA and its activities that I so loudly protest. I don't advocate software piracy or music sharing, but when the ends and the means of fighting such acts are equally questionable, it can never be said that the ends justify the means.