PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Patch Wine?

cartisdm
March 1st, 2008, 11:22 PM
I already have Wine installed (most recent version too). I'm trying to play the game snood and someone gave me a patch to it. How do I apply this wine patch after I've already installed wine?

I already searched around a bit but all the answers said you have to apply patches during install of wine

Eddie Wilson
March 2nd, 2008, 06:10 AM
What kind of file is the patch?

Eddie

pissedoffdude
March 2nd, 2008, 07:36 AM
You're going to have to reinstall wine from source. Make sure that you've added the winehq repo:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-dep wine
sudo apt-get install fakeroot
mkdir wine1.5
cd wine1.5
apt-get source wine1.5
cd wine*
patch -p0 < /home/YOURNAME/yourpatch.patch
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b

This will create your new wine deb. Then completely remove your old wine:

sudo dpkg --purge wine1.5
Now you can install your patched version of wine.

cartisdm
March 3rd, 2008, 05:31 PM

I'm away from my laptop for a few days but I'll try all that soon as I get home. This is the code I was given:

--- server/queue.c.orig 2007-05-07 07:38:23.000000000 -0700
+++ server/queue.c 2007-05-07 07:44:23.000000000 -0700
@@ -1779,9 +1779,18 @@
if (filter & QS_PAINT) queue->changed_bits &= ~QS_PAINT;

/* then check for posted messages */
- if ((filter & QS_POSTMESSAGE) &&
- get_posted_message( queue, get_win, req->get_first, req->get_last, req->flags, reply ))
- return;
+/* if ((filter & QS_POSTMESSAGE) &&
+ get_posted_message( queue, get_win, req->get_first, req->get_last, req->flags, reply ))*/
+ /* but NOT any with code 0x5555 - hack to make Snood work! */
+ if ((filter & QS_POSTMESSAGE) &&((req->get_first <= 0x5555) && (0x5555 <= req->get_last)))
+ {
+ if (get_posted_message( queue, get_win, req->get_first, 0x5554, req->flags, reply ))
+ return;
+ if (get_posted_message( queue, get_win, 0x5556, req->get_last, req->flags, reply ))
+ return;
+ }
+ else if (get_posted_message( queue, get_win, req->get_first, req->get_last, req->flags, reply ))
+ return;

/* only check for quit messages if not posted messages pending.
* note: the quit message isn't filtered */
@@ -1793,6 +1802,12 @@
filter_contains_hw_range( req->get_first, req->get_last ) &&
get_hardware_message( current, req->hw_id, get_win, req->get_first, req->get_last, reply ))
return;
+ /* Now check for posted messages with code 0x5555 - hack to make Snood work! */
+
+ if ((filter & QS_INPUT) &&((req->get_first <= 0x5555) && (0x5555 <= req->get_last)
+ && (get_posted_message( queue, get_win, 0x5555, 0x5555, req->flags, reply ))))
+ return;
+

/* now check for WM_PAINT */
if ((filter & QS_PAINT) &&

You said after those previous instructions I can now install the patch, how do I got about doing this or is it self-explanitory after I've reinstalled Wine etc.?

mc4man
March 4th, 2008, 01:13 AM
You have to patch it (the source) first

Follow pissedoffdude's instructions exactly - excellent method - gives you a proper .deb package
Create a new text document and paste the patch text into, save and rename snoodpatch.patch Then place the file in your home directory and follow above commands.

Ariccanfly
July 28th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I want to do this, and I'm willing to patch WINE for the sake of snood... but the patch is for snood version 2.4.4 and the current version of snood is 3.something. I'm pretty sure I need the old version of snood (2.4.4) so please, if anyone has that old version, post it here! :)

YokoZar
July 28th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I want to do this, and I'm willing to patch WINE for the sake of snood... but the patch is for snood version 2.4.4 and the current version of snood is 3.something. I'm pretty sure I need the old version of snood (2.4.4) so please, if anyone has that old version, post it here! :)
The patch is to Wine, so it likely works with all Snood versions. No guarantees, but give it a try.

c0rdawg
November 5th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Sorry to bring up an old post, but this was very helpful and allowed me to patch and build wine very easily. The only problem now is apt keeps wanting me to upgrade wine to the one in the budget dedicated repository. Is there anything special I need to do when building wine to make apt know that it is a more recent version?

YokoZar
November 5th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Sorry to bring up an old post, but this was very helpful and allowed me to patch and build wine very easily. The only problem now is apt keeps wanting me to upgrade wine to the one in the budget dedicated repository. Is there anything special I need to do when building wine to make apt know that it is a more recent version?
This is how apt is designed to work. So, other than marking the package as "do not upgrade" (eg in Synaptic), no.

c0rdawg
November 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Ah okay, thank you.

bokl
November 30th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Man, I REALLY want to get Snood (v 3.52) working on Ubuntu 8.10

I have done these steps:
1. added the wine repositories
(instruction: http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb )
2. saved the patch text above to snoodpatch.patch and placed it in my home directory

Now I need to do steps 3 - 5:
3. create custom wine including patch
4. remove already installed wine
5. install custom wine from created .deb

I'm hesitant about trying the exact code for step 3 given above, since it seems suited for an older version of ubuntu.

Can someone please give me an updated guide for steps 3-5 that works on 8.10. As basic as possible please! For example, I'm unsure on how to install from a .deb file.

Czechrite
December 30th, 2012, 06:18 PM
You're going to have to reinstall wine from source. Make sure that you've added the winehq repo:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-dep wine
sudo apt-get install fakeroot
mkdir wine1.5
cd wine1.5
apt-get source wine1.5
cd wine*
patch -p0 < /home/YOURNAME/yourpatch.patch
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b

This will create your new wine deb. Then completely remove your old wine:

sudo dpkg --purge wine1.5

Wow. Thank you for this great advice and information.
I am trying to patch Wine for World of Tanks.
I'm an Ubuntu user for 3 days now and I don't want to give up on it...if I can just patch WINE and get WOT going.

I'm so sick of WINDOWS I could puke...CHEERS.
Thanks again.

oldos2er
December 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Closed. Please don't bump old threads.