PDA

View Full Version : google time (not trends)

secondstage
March 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Alot of people on these forums say that Ubuntu is more stable than Windows. So here are some googled queries and the estimated total hits.
Windows
Crash-1,840,000
Fail-2,570,000
Reinstall-333,000
Sucks-354,000

Linux
Crash-298,000
Fail-709,000
Reinstall-556,000
Sucks-268,000

Ubuntu
Crash-1,640,000
Fail-461,000
Reinstall-713,000
Sucks-357,000

Just some food for thought

ung/xunil
March 1st, 2008, 11:21 PM
You forgot to add queries about virus, anti-virus, malware and some others.

This Google things (including google trends) just say that users are searching for those queries. Having as much Ubuntu and Windows users searching "reinstall" can just say that a group of users that are used to reinstall the OS when they have problems, so they search "reinstall" anyway, even when they change to Linux/Ubuntu. But this can mean that more and more "windows users" are testing and trying Linux/Ubuntu!

Being free software, Ubuntu have most of the solutions for its problems available on the Internet.

A problem with a library in Ubuntu will have a direct reference to Ubuntu and Linux on the same page (the library is installed, compiled and put on the Ubuntu repositories). In Windows and there is so many closed software (almost all), most of it distributed on a not centralized way as Ubuntu, so there isn't an available solution, only if the software developer/company make an update - nothing directly linked to Microsoft or Windows most of the time. The DLLs and others that that a Windows application installs is for that software only, generally, so the bugs and problems most times are linked to the sofware maker, not windows. Real windows bugs and their links maybe less in numbers, but they affect 15/25 times more people that some bug in Linux, so they must be much more ranked (more on top of the search page) in Google.

Another thing. Windows isn't open source, so although the users can verify that something isn't working or not as it should be, he can't do much more about it, most of the time he tries with another software or reinstalls. In Ubuntu or Linux, the code would be checked, changed, people would talk about the problem and find a solution. This makes the Linux/Ubuntu bug much more "noisy" in Google than the Windows bug.

amingv
March 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
I don't know how the google query was made, but just a thought: How would a page that says "Linux doesn't crash" come up as?

Kernel Sanders
March 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Meaningless tbh.

Windows is used by 95% of the market, so you'd EXPECT a higher volume of results for those searches.

popch
March 1st, 2008, 11:35 PM
I am sure that these are wonderfully accurate figures. But what, exactly, is being counted?

There appear to be five times as many Ubuntu crashes as Linux crashes.

a12ctic
March 1st, 2008, 11:40 PM
Another point, 95% of windows users would be clueless towards trouble shooting their issues so why would they search for it? They'd call dell or whoever manufactored their machine.

popch
March 1st, 2008, 11:50 PM
95% of windows users would be clueless towards trouble shooting their issues.

What makes you think so?

a12ctic
March 2nd, 2008, 12:20 AM
What makes you think so?

Because 95% of windows users think the screen of a computer is called the cpu and the box is called the server?

Vadi
March 2nd, 2008, 12:23 AM
I don't get how to use google time, so I, ah, couldn't replicate your results.

Your search - ubuntu sucks - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

* Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
* Try different keywords.
* Try more general keywords.
* Try fewer keywords.

amingv
March 2nd, 2008, 01:11 AM
Because 95% of windows users think the screen of a computer is called the cpu and the box is called the server?

That's just not true. There are many stupid users (in all platforms), but it's quite unfair assuming that most Windows users are stupid, (you'd be surprised).

kool_kat_os
March 2nd, 2008, 01:15 AM
That's just not true. There are many stupid users (in all platforms), but it's quite unfair assuming that most Windows users are stupid, (you'd be surprised).

The kids at school dont know what a cpu actually is...thats real bad...

RSLxH
March 2nd, 2008, 01:17 AM
Google trends, Distrowatch figures... etc...etc. Just too unreliable.
I use Windows at work, no viruses and no crashes. Strictly Linux at home; Debian, Ubuntu, Dreamlinux, no crashes, no viruses.

It's all about who uses the computer/distro, and the overall popularity of the distro, be it Windows or Linux.

Statistics are unreliable 99.9% of the time ;)

a12ctic
March 2nd, 2008, 01:33 AM

How is it unfair? I don't think it is in anyway surpising or false. Sure, theres a good amount of enthusiests, but the number of people ignorant towards computers outwieghs that margin by a long shot.

amingv
March 2nd, 2008, 01:52 AM
How is it unfair? I don't think it is in anyway surpising or false. Sure, theres a good amount of enthusiests, but the number of people ignorant towards computers outwieghs that margin by a long shot.

So all these people need to do to stop being stupid is learn what their cpu is? I for one have used Windows all my life, until some months ago when I switched, I have grown very fond of Linux and I use it for everything, it fits me like a ring.
Still, I was not an ignorant when I used Windows, and even if I did ignore something it was not because I used Windows, that's what I meant in my first post.
I am sure that by putting a lazy Windows user in front of my Linux box he won't suddenly discover that the monitor is not the cpu. Every person I know uses Windows, they're not geniuses, but they know the basics. I am convinced there are others like them...

Vadi
March 2nd, 2008, 02:58 AM
This thread is useless :|

Iam138
March 2nd, 2008, 04:28 AM

In the same way it would be unfair if I said you were stupid b/c you didn't know what "lapping" is or how to do it or if I said your stupid b/c you don't know how to remove the IHS or what the IHS is. Or perhaps what is the difference between socket 940 and AM2? Googleing it after you read this does not count.

You'd be ignorant for sure but stupid and ignorant are not the same thing.

a12ctic
March 2nd, 2008, 04:33 AM
In the same way it would be unfair if I said you were stupid b/c you didn't know what "lapping" is or how to do it or if I said your stupid b/c you don't know how to remove the IHS or what the IHS is. Or perhaps what is the difference between socket 940 and AM2? Googleing it after you read this does not count.

You'd be ignorant for sure but stupid and ignorant are not the same thing.

Uhm I know what all of those things are?

Thats what I was pointing out. That the users are ignorant. Calm down.

Iam138
March 2nd, 2008, 04:39 AM
Uhm I know what all of those things are?

Thats what I was pointing out. That the users are ignorant. Calm down.

Point taken. Again though it's not safe to assume the majority of Windows users are ignorant even. That may be your opinion but I'm not convinced it has a basis in fact. Now if you were to go back even 5 years it would be probably closer to the truth.

hhhhhx
March 2nd, 2008, 04:48 AM
Based on number of results:

ubuntu
fail - 419,000
crash - 429,000
virus - 526,000
antivirus - 496,000
sucks - 344,000
reinstall - 7,500,000
doesnt fail - 357,000
doesnt crash - 73,100
doesnt suck - 39,000

linux
fail - 724,000
crash - 355,000
virus - 4,610,000
antivirus - 1,420,000
sucks - 214,000
reinstall - 462,000
doesnt fail - 583,000
doesnt crash - 461,000
doesnt suck - 1,040,000

windows
fail - 3,290,000
crash - 3,720,000
virus - 10,400,000
antivirus - 6,120,000
sucks - 355,000
reinstall - 308,000
doesnt fail - 1,790,000
doesnt crash - 810,000
doesnt suck - 1,320,000

(yes, it was alot of copying and pasting :) )