PDA

View Full Version : Wine and Crossover Linux

neurostu
March 1st, 2008, 07:36 PM
So I have been considering installing wine on my laptop for sometime now. A friend of mine recommended that instead of installing wine I buy and install crossover linux.

I have tried searching on google and the ubuntu forums but I haven't been able to really figure out what the differences are between the two and what the similarities are. Is crossover based on wine? Are they completely different?

What are the reasons to chose Crossover over Wine?

What are the reasons to chose Wine over Crossover?

The only things I really want to run are iTunes and MS Office. I know that there exist replacements for both iTunes and MS Office in linux but I haven't been impressed by any linux mp3 players and I really don't like open office.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

mrsteveman1
March 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Crossover has things a bit more polished, easy to use, etc. Crossover bundles scripts and fixes to make specific applications work better, wine doesn't do this. Crossover and wine use the same "engine", crossover works on it and contributes changes back to Wine. Everything Wine does also benefits Crossover. In my opinion Crossover and Wine aren't really competing, Wine focuses on the code and getting things to work, Crossover makes a finished system to use.

If you really want to run iTunes i suggest you try Crossover, I've run itunes 7.6 in the current wine build (i built it from GIT source), and it was quite slow. I haven't tried in Crossover, but they make a trial available here (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/download_trial_linux/)

doorknob60
March 2nd, 2008, 01:59 AM
Microsoft Office works perfectly in Crossover (Well it did before I ditched it for Open Office :). It has some issues with wine though. Also, I think Crossover officially supports iTunes, but it might be an older version. Also, have you tried Amarok? I like it a LOT better than iTunes so I'd suggest trying it out if you haven't already.

neurostu
March 2nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Is anybody aware of some good documentation I can read that will help me better understand the differences between wine and crossover?

Also any documentation about how wine works would be awesome!

felin
March 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
Is anybody aware of some good documentation I can read that will help me better understand the differences between wine and crossover?

Also any documentation about how wine works would be awesome!

There is a list comparing crossover and wine here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/differences/

If you really want to use it I would suggest downloading the free trial of crossover, and trying to install some software - if it works and you are happy with it - then you have the option of purchasing a licence.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/download_trial_linux/

Twitch6000
March 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Not to be rude but, if that is the only reason why you need wine then you can get a better open source program for both :p.
VLC for Itunes.
Open Office for MSoffice.

I would still suggest wine though since it is open source and easy to use.

wednesday allfather
March 2nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Here, Here, Twitch!

Open Office is really worth a look. I prefer it to MS on function and principle.

VLC is great, too. I just started using it (replaced mplayer)

Anything is better than iTunes (sorry mac people ;)

jrusso2
March 2nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Having used Crossover before its main advantage is that it has been engineered to run certain desired programs such as Most versions of Microsoft Office, Older Photoshop and Dreamweaver and a few other desired windows applications.

All in all WINE is better for most applications that are not specifically supported by crossover but it also provides a wizard to install IE and Shockwave plugins and the newer one also runs some steam based windows games.

neurostu
March 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
Twitch, no offense taken. I would have no problems using Open Office if it worked as well in my situation as MS Office. I'm not trying to start a MS Office vs OO debate, but MS office is what works in my scenario. There are a few things that MS does that OO doesn't do and for some people those can be mission critical.

I would love to see the day when my laptop is only running open-source software but that day will only come when all the functionality I NEED is provided by the open-source community.

Whiffle
March 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Here's my take on it. Try Wine first. If it doesn't do what you need it to do, consider getting crossover. I had crossover back when wine couldn't run Office. Now, I have wine running office 2003 pretty much flawlessly and have no need for Crossover. Crossover is supposed to be better at running a certain set of programs, as they're paid to focus on them. They might have a more polished installer as well. But if wine does the job, then save the money and use that.

handy
March 3rd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Codeweavers are currently behind schedule on releasing version 7 of CrossOver(Linux & Mac) versions. The have been putting a huge amount of work into the new release, which will add support for new software & some later versions of old.

@neurostu: It will cost you nothing to try both Wine & CrossOver, if CrossOver is the one that suits you best, it is not very expensive & you can take heart that Codeweavers are the number one supporter of Wine. The Codeweavers forums is also a very helpful place with a very strong developer presence.

Steve1961
March 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
I've used crossover for the last three years or so without problems. I initially purchased it because wine seemed too hard to configure when I was new to Linux, and I've just stuck with it ever since - and purchase an updated version about once a year. Not that I actually use it that much these days as I find using a copy of XP in Virtualbox a much better option for the times when I want to fire up dreamweaver or photoshop.