PDA

View Full Version : What every Windows user should know about Ubuntu

Riffer
March 1st, 2008, 06:57 PM
There are a few things that every new ex window user needs to know in order to enjoy the Ubuntu/Linux experience. So (hopefully) with light hearted approach here we go.

1: Ubuntu is not Windows, Let me say that again.. Ubuntu and indeed Linux is not Windows.

Ubuntu is a different Operating System like Mac is different. You wouldn't expect to do things the same on a Mac, nor should you on Ubuntu. And lets face it thats why you're here, you're tired of the way you have to do things in Windows.

2: The terminal is your friend.

Remember trying to figure out something on Windows and getting people online to help? The pages and pages of instructions on maneuvering around drop down menus and boxes? Well with terminal you can get commands to fix problems in less then a paragraph, use cut and paste to put those commands in terminal. Quick and easy.

3: If your hardware doesn't work chances are it wasn't Ubuntu's fault.

Its the hardware manufacturers job to supply drivers. And at this point most don't support Linux, and while the linux community has done a great job reverse engineering drivers, some hardware will not work on Linux. Its your job to see if yours will.

4: The harder you play the more likely you'll crash.

Wow a new OS with all these neat things to try out, oh its beta? Oh well lets give it a go. For many of us thats how we learn(myself included) and if thats you, cool, but you will be reinstalling so practice smart computing. Save you files onto a separate partition or memory stick or what ever. Keep a log on how you setup things so that when you do reinstall its easier.

5: In the forums be polite.

Something not working, you've tried everything, your frustrated and mad. We've all been there, so take a moment before you fire off a post. People here are volunteers, treat them well and they'll bend over backwards to help you out.

6: Don't worry, it does get easier.

Its the funniest thing but one day (and it doesn't take long) you'll feel pretty comfy. Your computer's running fine. Your desktop is setup just the way you like it, you feel pretty good with most of the apps you use. Its about that time you'll want to try other Distros, or VMWare or Wine.

Thats my list of need to know things, feel free to add to it.

neurostu
March 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
If I can add one thing...

7. When you encounter a problem there is a 99.99% chance someone else has had and SOLVED the problem. Search the forums and google trying 2 or 3 different queries before you post "XYZ doesn't work how can I fix it" Again 99.99% of the time if you look long enough you will find the answer to your problem.

Riffer
March 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM
If I can add one thing...

7. When you encounter a problem there is a 99.99% chance someone else has had and SOLVED the problem. Search the forums and google trying 2 or 3 different queries before you post "XYZ doesn't work how can I fix it" Again 99.99% of the time if you look long enough you will find the answer to your problem.

Gee that sounds like me :lolflag:

owbizi
March 1st, 2008, 07:42 PM
8. "Linux is like a woman: free, but not easy".

(very cool: http://alpha-art.deviantart.com/art/Mac-and-PC-Linux-37916270)