PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me? - I don't want ubuntu to look like Vista or an iMac.

PiggiePaul
March 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Is it just me that feels this way?

I like the fact that Ubuntu is NOT Vista or an iMac.

I actually have a "Old" iMac running OSX and my PC (on another partition) already has Vista on it.

What I like about Ubuntu is that fact that's its not either of these.
and the last thing I want to do it to try and make it look like one.

I want Ubuntu to look like it's own product/item and not try and pretend to mimic something it's not.

I refuse to load up any start menu thing that looks like a Windows start bar, and I refuse to install any Gnome themes that put those little red/green/yellow colored dots on the menu bar (which is what Apple uses instead of the maximize/minimize icons)

Is it just me, that wants Ubuntu to proudly stand on it's own and say, hey look, I have a superb interface myself, and I don't have to copy either of the BIG Boys in an attempt to look good.

Am I mad?

nosushi4you
March 1st, 2008, 06:02 PM
Not at all. I too, have refrained from making my Ubuntu look like Windows or OS X. I have my Windows looking like OS X, though:)

PiggiePaul
March 1st, 2008, 06:05 PM
I have my Windows looking like OS X, though:)

I'll let you off that one ;)

I actually like Vista, it looks good (albeit it kills your machine to give you those looks)
I also like OSX on the iMac, that looks nice and functional (and pretty)

But I also like Ubuntu, albeit it's a bit hard to focus on a look as you can pretty much alter everything (which does make it hard for a beginner) as there are not the restraints you are normally used to.

But I'm proud to be different and want to stay that way :D

SunnyRabbiera
March 1st, 2008, 06:07 PM
well the biggest ace for linux is that you can make it look like practically anything

Whiffle
March 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah, you're not alone at all. I don't even have a menu, usually.

Glaxed
March 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM
As a beginner, that was the major thing that drew me to Linux in general.
Ok, fine, Compiz Fusion as well.
I have a couple friends who are Vista Supremists who are frantically trying to install Yado or something. Its supposed to be 'a cube for windows'. One succeeded, and showed me.
The next day, I opened up ccsm and made my desktop into an octagonal prism with fish in it.
He looked pissed. :D.
My point? Linux looks better than OSX or Vista anyway, why bother to emulate it?

Kivech
March 1st, 2008, 09:30 PM
Well, I'm sure you're not the only one who feels this way PiggiePaul.

I feel the same way. I ditched Vista because it was driving me nuts. Ubuntu really has an easier way of setting things up and on top of it, I can customize it to my heart's content. Which I cannot say about Vista. So really, the last thing I want is trying to mimic Vista.

It strikes me odd that there are so many theme builders who really put everything at work to copy any windows variant. I think Apple already has a more user-friendly look, but for sure ubuntu and Linux in general should have and maintain their own look.
One of the reasons I refused to even try the KDE desktop is because they are definately trying to copy Vista with their new version. I really don't get that.

Ubuntu/Linux should stay the way it is when it comes to looks/feel. Especially the Gnome desktop which I really love. Of course they will try to make it look better, but the concept should stay the same. I really like it that Ubuntu has its own unique look and feel to it.

Then of course, if I want to change it, I can. That's the beauty of the whole thing.

Kivech

wookietim
March 2nd, 2008, 02:12 AM
I tend to make my Linux look how I want it to. There are certain UI things about Windows I like (The start button is a wonderful way to access my installed apps and the dock is a great way to quickly get to the most often used ones). But I don't set out to make it look like Windows or OSX...

ironflippy
March 2nd, 2008, 02:29 AM
I take the ideas that I like from each and then a bunch of others that neither have. I like the clean look and the dock in OS X, as well as the menu for applications in Windows. But if i change my mind on anything, I can completely change anything I'd like to.

I, too, avoid emerald themes that have those ugly window buttons, and I definitely don't want to have those iconic colored bubbles. I like something a bit different. That's why I use Linux.

MNICY
March 2nd, 2008, 02:54 AM
I dont understand people who want to make Ubuntu look like OSX or Windows... but if they want that, then that is good for them. The fact we have the choice is amazing enough for me ;)
i make Ubuntu look how i want it to.
I have AWN and a screenlet sidebar (with screenlets on it) and compiz fusion :D

VMan
March 2nd, 2008, 05:37 AM
My point? Linux looks better than OSX or Vista anyway, why bother to emulate it?
My desktop looks very cool:KS and nothing like any other operating system. I used a theme (not at my computer right now; at work, so I can't tell you the name) that has a glowing red button on the upper left corner for close, a small glowing dash next to it for minimize, double click on the title bar to shade, a glowing green button on the upper right corner for maximize/restore, and several dashes next to that for sticky, etc. Looks great, works great, cube works perfectly. The only problem I've run into is I haven't been able to get the animation effects for starting or minimizing a window to work. I wanted closing to go up in flames (like I had in 7.04), starting and restoring was supposed to be the "transport in" effect, and minimizing was supposed to be the genie in a bottle. Unfortunately, I lost all of those when upgraded to 7.10. I use quite a bit of transparencies, and have the upper bar fully customized. The first thing anyone says when they see my desktop is "How can I do that". I usually tell them first you delete/uninstall windows:lolflag:

I really like the way you can customize linux to your heart's content. No other system allows this much flexibility. I kinda feel sorry for people that just try to copy the looks of another system. They should experiment much more.

NightwishFan
March 2nd, 2008, 05:46 AM
If I wanted to make it look like an other os, I can. Linux is about choice after all. For me, I just take what I like from other OS as a basis for how I get my desktop to look. For example, coming from Xp to Vista I really liked how I could choose a custom color for the theme to match my wallpaper. I do this now with emerald. I also like the expo from OS X that has 2 rows 2 columns, rather than 4 in a line.

fredbird67
March 2nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
Kivech, I'm with you, man! I used to be a die-hard KDE guy myself until I saw a few screenshots of KDE4. Right away, the first thing I noticed was a blatant attempt to imitate Windows Vista, and I do NOT want my desktop looking like an OS that's been regarded as a piece of CRAP even by people who won't consider using anything but Windows. I was using PCLinuxOS from August to December of last year, and as soon as I saw those screenshots of KDE4 and their decision to have a default look that impersonates Vista, I decided right then and there I was switching to a distro that used either Gnome or Xfce. Besides, I could never get PCLinuxOS to recognize the scanner portion of my Epson all-in-one printer/copier/scanner anyway, while Ubuntu has never had a problem recognizing it.

Oddly enough, however, I have no problem at all with making Linux look like Windows XP. Interestingly enough, Xfce comes with a GTK theme and Xfce window titlebar that makes it look (sort of) like Windows XP right out of the box, in fact. XP isn't my cup of tea either, bit I would take it over Vista any day, just like anyone else, and it's definitely one of the best versions of Windows Microsoft has ever come out with. In fact, I installed Ubuntu Ultimate Edition this evening after 2 months of trying to decide between Ubuntu and Linux Mint, and once I get my wife's as well as a guest account set up, I'm going to put a Windows XP look-alike theme on those accounts, since my wife still prefers Windows and most of my wife's family still uses Windows, although I converted my father-in-law to PCLinuxOS last year. :)

Anyways, the screenshots of KDE4 done made a Gnome guy out of this longtime KDE user! On the last distro I had on here, Linux Mint Xfce edition, it was done up in such a way that it looked a LOT like Windows versions 95 through 2000, and yes, I had 95, 98, and 2000 on my computer at different times, and I didn't mind that classic Windows look a bit, as those served me...well, I can't really say well, but it was what I was used to, and that was, of course, back before I got smart and switched to Linux.

Anyways, what I don't like about making any Linux desktop look like Vista is that it's an attempt to look like an operating system that nobody in their right mind wants -- why make it look like a piece of crap? I know some don't like Ubuntu's default colors, and I didn't care for it at first either, but when they went to that cheese shade of yellow on the highlights and menu prelights and the copper titlebar and orange progress bars, I got to where I liked it, and I've always liked color schemes that tastefully use warmer colors like that, too.

tuxcanfly
March 2nd, 2008, 06:15 AM
Hey Same here ...But I realised it after many attempts to make my deskie look like a mak osx. I had tried so many imitated themes that when I switched to the default human theme, I was like WOW. And compiz fusion helps get the best out of your hardware with least affect on your RAM. I see no reason why people should work so hard to imitate some filth.

xskater
March 2nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
I don't want Ubuntu to look like Windows Vista or Mac OS X, but I like being able to customize the colors and looks however I want. All the potential for custmizing is why I switched to Ubuntu in the first place.

Job_314
March 2nd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Myeah, my setup doesn't look like VIsta or any of the Mac OS's. Then again, when I had Windows it didn't look like Windows anyway ;)

It's just a bit ironic to install Ubuntu, and then make it look like Windows, hah.

hhhhhx
March 2nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
your not alone :)

zxscooby
March 2nd, 2008, 08:27 AM
If it doesnt look like anything else around, show us what it looks like.
ive kinda mixed and matched the things i like from different OSes.

ShodanjoDM
March 2nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
One of the first things I usually do to customize Desktop appearance everytime I install Ubuntu is to swap the location of the top panel to the bottom and vice versa.

It's a habit, I guess, to have the "start" location on the bottom left of the screen like Windows were. But it also helps new users (those that I helped to install Ubuntu with) to familiarize themself with the new OS without having to feel totally lost.

zcal
March 2nd, 2008, 08:49 AM
The start button is a wonderful way to access my installed apps and the dock is a great way to quickly get to the most often used ones

I still don't understand why everyone wants to emulate OS X's Dock. It's a screen real estate hog unless you autohide it, at which point you lose your pretty eye candy anyway. And Windows's Start Menu turns into a huge mess after installing a lot of applications. Give me Gnome's Run Application (default Alt+F2) over that disaster anyday.

pt_lam
March 2nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Agree with you.
Perhaps the default look is not "cool" enough, so people make it look like Vista or OSX.
I think ubuntu, or other distros, should have a avant-garde look by dafault to attract new linux users, just like what Apple has been doing.

SomeGuyDude
March 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
I've said it before, I'll say it again: the people who worked to make OSX and Vista pleasing to the eye did a VERY good job. There's a reason people who don't even use Vista or OSX try to make Linux look like them. They look dang good.

I don't, because I use very dark themes, but I certainly understand why people do. The great part, of course, is that Ubuntu can look like EITHER of them, or something entirely different. No matter what you like, you can make it happen.

However, Ubuntu's default needs SERIOUS work. I've had so many people turn away because of how it looked, and only wrangled them in by showing how my desktop looks, convincing them that, yes, Linux CAN actually look good.

justsomedude
March 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Linux doesn't have to look like Vista, nor does it have to look like OS X.

However, Ubuntu's default look is a bug. It belongs on Launchpad. And it has to be fixed.

spamzilla
March 2nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
However, Ubuntu's default look is a bug. It belongs on Launchpad. And it has to be fixed.

This 'bug' should be fixed when 8.10 comes along ;)

The new human-murrine theme which is in Hardy is a step in the right direction though.

billgoldberg
March 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Some people don't want it to look like or mimic osx or vista, some do.

I used a vista-ish and mac osx theme in the past.

I now use the entire kore theme and I think i'll stick with it for a while.

billgoldberg
March 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
This 'bug' should be fixed when 8.10 comes along ;)

The new human-murrine theme which is in Hardy is a step in the right direction though.

The default theme in hardy is a bit better (from the screenshots i've seen) but the window decoration still looks the same (aka ugly).

vishzilla
March 2nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
I'm with you mate!

EdThaSlayer
March 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
I like the unique looks that KDE and GNOME have out of the box. GNOME is very unique out of the box, having the menu and all the other options on the top of the screen. But then again, if people want to make their Ubuntu look like Vista or an Imac thats good for them, I do find it strange though.

argie
March 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I've been using the default Ubuntu theme ever since I installed Gutsy (months ago). It grows on you, the brown, now I have a wallpaper that matches :)

PiggiePaul
March 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Wow, it pretty much seems like we're got 100% agreement here :D

Thanks for all your comment about my initial posting. I did wonder if I'd ruffle a few feathers saying that, but good to see thats not the case ;)

But, I also STRONGLY agree with a few of the last comments that (IMHO) it would be a BIG plus if the Ubuntu people did get some Graphic Artists (if you wish to call them that) to give Ubuntu a really modern, crisp, bang up to date front end look by default.

Something right up there with Vista and Leopard

Let's face it, it's not hard to make Ubuntu look really good, but many would lack the knowledge to customize all the bits, and perhaps even the skills to know what looks good with what.

I know in reality it does not matter to US, but it would be nice if you installed Ubuntu and your initial reaction was WOW that looks superb, so modern and professionally designed. Especially for all the newcomers who 1st time it is.

steveneddy
March 2nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Once I found out that you could make Linux look like whatever you wanted, I came back around to Gnome.

I like an almost stock look with transparency, custom icons and colors.

Just slight changes from stock make me happy and make everyone ask what I'm using.

I believe that everyone is copying Linux.

tdrusk
March 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
For some reason I can't get myself to change the default theme of any operating system. They made it like this and that is how it is going to stay.

I like Gnome because it appears to be neither mac or windows. KDE has a slight windows look, but no more than Gnome or XFCE have a mac look.

ÜbuntuMensch
March 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
I tend to change my desktop around more or less continuously, and yet somehow it never ends up looking like Vista or Mac. I'm not trying to avoid it, but it seems to me that default themes are made to be changed...

dgrafix
March 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Me neither, but BROWN!?!

I mean, come on design team...Yuck.

I change the theme to one of the others usually because i like blues and greys.

PiggiePaul
March 2nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
My customization isn't as radical as some screen shot's I've seen.

Some I've seen look like a messy combination of everything chucked together.

Other desktops look superb, and ones that I'd like to duplicate.

My own if pretty boring by some standards, but I like to keep a clean desktop.

I have the normal Ubuntu Bar along the top (not changed that, apart from taking off the Firefox and Evolution shortcuts)

I've removed the bar on the bottom edge, and replaced it with the Avant Windows Navigator bar, with bouncy icons of all the progs I use all the time.

VERY nice that. I did try Cario Dock, but it looked very cartoony, and things were bouncing up and left and right all over the place :(
Perhaps it can be made to look a bit nicer?

I kike a reasonably plain background/wallpaper and try as best I can to keep icons off it.

Boring, but I like a clean screen.

I may well have a screenlett or two in time, when I know more about them, and what you need to do and/or have to have something on your screen that shows you info.

Linuxratty
March 2nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
well the biggest ace for linux is that you can make it look like practically anything

I agree...Variety is the spice of life.
Change is good..And you can always change it back.:)

PiggiePaul
March 2nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
I still think a "Impressive for the year 2008" default front end would be a BIG plus for new users, or to those just looking in and thinking about it.

Like trying to sell a car that looks pretty dull and drab, but saying there are 1 million add-ons trims, paint jobs you can have to make it look the way you like it.

It would still help to make people get the cars in the 1st place if they looked good in standard trim.

I'm not saying Ubuntu looks BAD.

I'm just saying, if you took a standard install (without any tweaking) of Vista, iMac Leopard and Ubuntu, I don't think many would say how cutting edge, and professional Ubuntu looked.

I'm sure in time this will change.

I know it's all Eye Candy and does not matter, but looking nice is still a good thing.

Bruce M.
March 3rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Am I mad?

YES! And I'm right there beside you.

Joking aside, not at all. When I first saw Ubuntu, get ready for this dgrafix, and saw "brown", I thought,

WoW! GREAT! Unique! I like it!

Recently, I switched to Xubuntu, (old machine, see my sig) and back to Blue!
And that's just how I feel about it! BLUE! I want brown back.

Me neither, but BROWN!?!

I mean, come on design team...Yuck.

I change the theme to one of the others usually because i like blues and greys.

Brown:

colour of dirt, farmers plant stuff, I get to eat.
coffee
CHOCOLATE

... to name three. :)

Mind you, with the way Ubuntu (Linux) can be customized it reminds me of the VW Beetle, there were Rolls Royce Beetles, Porsche Beetles, 1/2Ton Beetles, Flowerpot Beetles .... the list goes on. :)

EDIT: Hit the wrong key, still typing!

aysiu
March 3rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
I'm not ashamed for liking the look of Mac OS X on my Ubuntu. I wouldn't trade Ubuntu's usability for Mac's, though.

People who have trouble differentiating between looks and functionality don't really understand the purpose of themes.

SomeGuyDude
March 3rd, 2008, 11:02 PM
I don't see why it's an issue what someone else wants their desktop to look like. Mine looks absolutely nothing like OSX, Windows, or Ubuntu's default, but I don't see why I would have a beef with those who wanted to do so.

Would you have a problem if someone wanted Ubuntu to look like another Linux distro?

macogw
March 3rd, 2008, 11:08 PM
I still don't understand why everyone wants to emulate OS X's Dock. It's a screen real estate hog unless you autohide it, at which point you lose your pretty eye candy anyway. And Windows's Start Menu turns into a huge mess after installing a lot of applications. Give me Gnome's Run Application (default Alt+F2) over that disaster anyday.

Agreed!

And my Ubuntu is brown.

kazuya
March 3rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
i love the look of Ubuntu, but besides the great computing poer it gives, due lack of issues or virus or other major problems, users are afforded more time to tweak and alter their system to whatever. Users may alter their system to mimic mac OSX and sometimes even Vista; But others hybrid these two, innovate other types of looks that work for them. These looks in most cases transcend even the initial look they were going for. That is the bauty with linux. You can alter your system's look and feel, but you still have the robust and great system. Vista and OSX have okay looks, but even for those who mimic these looks, it gets very boring fast. These same users change to something more personal to their tastes and look.

I tried the OSX look and liked it for a week, but quickly reverted back to some other looks that were more functional and pretty.

Ubuntu is nice as it is and I do not mind them keeping to their ways, while evolving..

Andrewie
March 3rd, 2008, 11:25 PM
I'm liking KDE 4, I agree with you.

DOWN WITH CLONES

kazuya
March 3rd, 2008, 11:30 PM
I don't see why it's an issue what someone else wants their desktop to look like. Mine looks absolutely nothing like OSX, Windows, or Ubuntu's default, but I don't see why I would have a beef with those who wanted to do so.

Would you have a problem if someone wanted Ubuntu to look like another Linux distro?
I agree with the above post. In the end, it is all about functionality. Those look things are nice if they promote or augment functionality; It is totally up to the choice of the user. I tried them and eventually got bored of those looks and switched to something more my fitting.

Master-of-None
March 3rd, 2008, 11:49 PM
I'm quite fond of the default Windows XP theme. It just looks clean.

Forgive me if I like it. I didn't make my desktop look like Windows for a familiar experience. I did it because I like the look and feel. Isn't it alright for a Ubuntu Newbie to make their experience more familiar if they want to, or need to? If they find that the Windows Way doesn't meet their needs anymore, they can move on to a new look and feel.

SomeGuyDude
March 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM
And for the record, I love the "dock" concept. No autohide, either. It looks nice and gives me all the functionality I need. I use Alt-F2 for most app launching save the three I have as launchers on the thing, plus trash/exit/clock/menu applets.

Dangit, it looks good and does what I want it to. How can you say it's no good? :guitar:

NightwishFan
March 4th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I tried KDE the other day and I am hooked. Hopefully KDE4 will be as good.

information_entropy
March 4th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Am I mad?

If I booted a live CD and it looked like Windows,
I would shoot it with a silver bullet,
drive a wooden stake through it,
perform an exorcism, burn the CD,
and scatter the ashes on four continents.

SomeGuyDude
March 4th, 2008, 01:38 AM
If I booted a live CD and it looked like Windows,
I would shoot it with a silver bullet,
drive a wooden stake through it,
perform an exorcism, burn the CD,
and scatter the ashes on four continents.

Well that's unfortunate. Because it might turn out that someone made a dynamite Linux distro and gave it a Windows feel in order to make those converting FROM Windows feel a little more comfortable.

But I suppose being venomously anti-Windows makes YOU feel more comfortable, which is, again, unfortunate. As a result, I would respectfully request that any time you identify yourself as a Linux user you clarify that you're one of the bad ones. That way folks like myself don't get hassled whenever we get into similar discussions.

Joeb454
March 4th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I have the default Ubuntu colors :)

I have changed the theme a little though (uses slim-gelatin), and the background is different, with conky, and then of course compiz :)

Completely different to Windows, and because I'm a fan of the cube, and workspaces, it's got some Windows users I know looking at Ubuntu :)

SZF2001
March 4th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I just think the whole thing is silly.

"Alright gang, we have an open fountain and an abundance of code to use, despite our competitors who have a limited closed source, and we can make our system work and look however we please. Of course, we are better off with our Linux distribution and can do anything we want with it - so of course let's just mimic the look of our competition."

WTF

bum000
March 4th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I never understood that either, why would you want linux to look like windows, or mac or vice versa?

how about changing the body of your toyota to look like a honda

Cloudy
March 4th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I agree, to some extent. I have to say, though, both do have their own features that I like. I like the look of the window borders on Vista (for the most part) and the look of panels on OSX.

Don't really get the love for docks, though, but hey - whatever people like. :popcorn:

aysiu
March 4th, 2008, 01:54 AM
The end users who buy the competitors' operating systems may have limited choice, but the developers of the closed source software do not. Steve Jobs could make Mac OS X look however he wanted it to look, but he chose Aqua/Graphite. He wasn't limited to that look because the operating system is closed source. It's closed to the public, not to Apple.

Frankly, I don't see what the problem is with mimicking the competition if the competition looks good. I'm not saying you have to mimic the competition, but you also have no reason to look down on those who choose to use Mac-like or Windows-like themes. Every person has her own preference for how an OS should look.

aysiu
March 4th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I never understood that either, why would you want linux to look like windows, or mac or vice versa?

how about changing the body of your toyota to look like a honda It's too much trouble to change the whole body of a car.

Installing a new theme in Gnome takes all of about one minute. System > Preferences > Themes, drag and drop the theme, select the theme.

In answer to your question as to why you would want Linux to look like Windows or Mac, the obvious answer is that you like the look of Windows or Mac.

What I have never understood is this baby-out-with-the-bathwater approach some people seem to have here. You don't like the way Windows is developed or marketed, and so you can't have appreciate anything from Windows. That's simplistic and illogical. Windows can do something right (and please save your smarmy jokes about getting malware or blue screens of death), and so can Mac.

Simplistic mindset = nothing from Windows or Mac can be good. If you want anything from Windows or Mac, you want Windows or Mac.

Complex mindset = some things from Windows or Mac could be good, just as some things from Linux are good. Each operating system has its pros and cons. If you can borrow the best from all three worlds, you can have the best.

macogw
March 4th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I tried the OSX look and liked it for a week, but quickly reverted back to some other looks that were more functional and pretty.

hehe yes, Ubuntu is more pretty. That's why I made this post (on my blog): Apple, Stand Back! There's a New Beauty Queen in Town (http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2008/02/apple-stand-back-theres-new-beauty.html)

akiratheoni
March 4th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I think the whole point of making Ubuntu look like OSX or Vista is not because we like the look of it but because it shows off the powerful customization of Ubuntu. I have made mine look like OSX just for the fun of it. I'm not going to actually USE it but it was fun doing so.

Bruce M.
March 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
What I have never understood is this baby-out-with-the-bathwater approach some people seem to have here. You don't like the way Windows is developed or marketed, and so you can't have appreciate anything from Windows. That's simplistic and illogical. Windows can do something right (and please save your smarmy jokes about getting malware or blue screens of death), and so can Mac.

In the beginning Windows was created to compete with Apple. The ease of Icons on a desktop to start programs.

With my last version of Windows (W2K) I turned all those Icons off and put them in a second panel at the bottom of the screen. Almost sounds like Ubuntu. Other than the obvious: the cost of Windows, the virus problems and the malware, it has it's good features. Gamers LOVE Windows.

I can't say anything about a MAC as I don't own one, never have and never even seen it other than in a store. But two of my sons have Macs and love them. No firewall, no anti-virus programs, same as Linux.

If you can borrow the best from all three worlds, you can have the best.

+1

I think the whole point of making Ubuntu look like OSX or Vista is not because we like the look of it but because it shows off the powerful customization of Ubuntu. I have made mine look like OSX just for the fun of it. I'm not going to actually USE it but it was fun doing so.

I couldn't agree more. Although I customize Ubuntu to the way I like, I didn't realize until just recently that my choice of themes in XFCE is a Mac style theme ( with the coloured dots ). Having never seen a MAC, I chose it not to look like one, but because I like it, and it's one of the defaults here.

The Key: We change things because we can. Not just the look and feel of things. If you're a programmer you can get "under the hood", so to speak, and change the system itself. Now THAT'S freedom.

And you're right,: It's fun to do!

I don't "want" Ubuntu to look like Windows or a Mac, but it's nice that it can if as an individual I choose to make it so.

PiggiePaul
March 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I could be crule and say:

If you change Ubuntu to look like Windows, then you may as well then just run windows and have a wider choice and better versions of all the software to run in the 1st place!

(ducks behind sofa)

Tristam Green
March 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Frankly, I don't see what the problem is with mimicking the competition if the competition looks good. I'm not saying you have to mimic the competition, but you also have no reason to look down on those who choose to use Mac-like or Windows-like themes. Every person has her own preference for how an OS should look.

+1 to this. It's been said repeatedly that while Microsoft may not have the most solid operating system, and while Apple suffers from hubris, never let it be known that their designers don't know how to make a sexy interface.

user@hostname:~$_

I think you mean GNOME/KDE/Xfce/WM_of_your_choice looks better natively than Windows/MacOSX :confused:

djbsteart1
March 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
With something like this it comes down to user preference, gnome was a sock for me coming from I guess it would be explore.exe in windows, but after a while I started to prefer it. Then with XFCE having the start menu just a click anywhere away was very useful. Now I use KDE, and arguably the starting interface is similar to windows, there is the kmenu at the bottom right, and the whole bottom toolbar. But after using and adding to it for about a week, it resembles nothing of either mac or windows, yes there are similarities, but nothing that I would call copying. So it isnt so much that people try to make their DE's look like windows or mac, there are just bits from the windows or mac interface that are worth having so they appear next to the bits from the Linux DE that they are using.

djbsteart1
March 5th, 2008, 11:47 AM
There is Famelix, which is set to look like vista/xp by default, i find it insulting and shocking that time can be spent on such a project, yes it makes people feel at home, but it just encourages people to think that Linux is a replacement for windows.

3rdalbum
March 5th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Some themes on Gnome-Look are quite nice until you realise that they rip off parts of current or past Mac OS X looks. I want my computer to look beautiful and distinctive. I don't want it to look like "everyone else's" computer.

Sometimes I have to live with the Vista-ish or OS X-ish window manager buttons if the rest of the theme is nice enough.

But I won't sink so low as to use a dock... they're very inefficient in terms of screen space and bring back too many bad memories of Mac OS X.

pbpersson
March 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I have my Kubuntu machine ACT like Windows because during the day at work I use Windows.

I am the type of person who moves fast when I'm using the computer - I expect things to be where things are supposed to be.

So.....I have the start menu in the lower left corner and the task bar at the bottom of the screen. Yeah.....I know.....very boring.

When it comes to look and feel, I don't change much for two reasons:

1. When I first started using Windows in the old days every time I customized it Windows would get corrupted and had to be re-installed
2. When I installed KDE and saw how many configuration choices there are.....I figured I could spend the rest of my life in there playing around and I have other goals in life.

As long as the OS works, that is the most important thing. I have done some custom stuff, but not much.

jespdj
March 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM

I like the fact that Ubuntu is NOT Vista or an iMac.
Am I mad?
Absolutely not. I don't understand those people who put wallpapers with Microsoft or Apple logos on their Ubuntu desktop. There are even themes to make Ubuntu look as much as Windows or OS X as possible. I don't understand why anyone would want that. If you want an OS that looks and feels like Windows or OS X, then just get Windows or OS X... :rolleyes:

aysiu
March 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Absolutely not. I don't understand those people who put wallpapers with Microsoft or Apple logos on their Ubuntu desktop. There are even themes to make Ubuntu look as much as Windows or OS X as possible. I don't understand why anyone would want that. If you want an OS that looks and feels like Windows or OS X, then just get Windows or OS X... :rolleyes:
What if you want an OS that looks and feels like Windows or OS X but functions and is free like Ubuntu?

Tristam Green
March 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Absolutely not. I don't understand those people who put wallpapers with Microsoft or Apple logos on their Ubuntu desktop:

What's wrong with that? :popcorn:

Freddy
March 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Kivech,and as soon as I saw those screenshots of KDE4 and their decision to have a default look that impersonates Vista, I decided right then and there I was switching to a distro that used either Gnome or Xfce.
I don't use KDE either but where does KDE4 actually look like Vista? The KDE4 menu kind of looks like Vista's maybe but the KDE4 menu sucks big time and will probably (read 'hopefully') change in the future but I can't seem to find anymore similarities. Please show the similarities to me or I will just pass you of as another zealot.

djbsteart1
March 6th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I don't use KDE as well but where does KDE4 look like Vista? The KDE4 menu kind of looks like Vista's maybe but KDE4 menu sucks big time and will probably (read 'hopefully' change in the future but I cant seem to find any more similarities. Please show the similarities to me or I will just pass you of as another zealot.

there is a program that switches the kde menu to one that looks like gnomes, havnt tried it because i like the kde menu.

Arkenzor
March 6th, 2008, 12:21 PM
The default KDE4 definitely doesn't look like any common environment to me, except... KDE4. And if Vista looked so good I think I might actually agree to cope with the bugs and DRM.

My Xfce desktop gets a lot of "looks like Mac" comments, but they're basically from Windows users who only know the Windows looks, and have a vague idea that OS X looks different. I certainly didn't create my theme with OS X in mind.

angry_johnnie
March 6th, 2008, 12:38 PM
At first, I hated all the brown. Now I'm not only used to it, but I kinda like it :-) My desktop background changes every minute, and a lot of those wallpapers are brown, and resemble ubuntu's default. I guess it's kind of an acquired taste, but then again I always liked a sober desktop. Lately, I've been using more lightweight window managers, such as fluxbox and icewm. I guess that leaves me with far less things to tinker with, but I like them.

andredaflauta
March 6th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I agree with you! Linux should look... well, it should look whatever you want it to look, that's the whole point. Anyway, rigid desktops like windows' or osX's ones aren't exactly "whatever you want it to look".
I have Windowx XP in my desktop and Vista in my laptop, both dual-booting Ubuntu, and the default Gnome desktop (with compiz) makes all windows users around jealous.
I'm to lazy to tweak the looks, but if anytime I wake up in the mood, then I will know I can do it.

Freddy
March 7th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Why do I sometimes mimic OSX when using either Gnome or KDE, because I can and it looks good. A standard Gnome or Ubuntu setup pains my eyes, a standard KDE or Kubuntu setup pains my eyes even more. Apple and Microsoft have knowledge and the money to make their OS's look modern and easy on the eyes (kind of dislike the look of Vista though), the developers of Gnome and KDE doesn't.

To those in this thread that argue that a person should use OSX just because he like the look of it must smoked something I wouldn't dare to smoke. I love GNU/Linux because I can configure it to be what I want it to be, I have multiple choices of DE's and WM's, I have freedom to do what I wanna do and I have total control of my OS. If you really just want your OS to be *nix, use bash. Icons and menus isn't really Linux you know, others thought of it first, so throw out your mouses and do it like real men!!!

Nowadays I mostly use E17 or Gnome with Elegant Brit or some other more minimalistic themes though. I got tired of the bling bling.

Tomana
March 8th, 2008, 02:56 AM
The answer is so simple that most people stumble over it ...

We are creatures of habit and, we have a flock mentality - as in Sheep

So, this naturally carries over to computer software. It's what folks
are used too and most of us resist having to change - right?

So then, " let them eat cake! ", as long as they are eating it with Linux.

my question is, how long before someone corners the market on Linux
and we have to start paying for it? Can someone do that or will it
remain Born Free?

Born free, as free as the wind blows As free as the ... sorry - must
be all the coffee I drank today. Hey - has anyone ever tried Kopi Luwak?
Sounds tasty.

:guitar:
:-({|=

Jam'n

Sef
March 8th, 2008, 03:03 AM
my question is, how long before someone corners the market on Linux
and we have to start paying for it? Can someone do that or will it
remain Born Free?

It is impossible for someone to corner the market on GNU/Linux. If you release GNU/Linux commercially, then you must release the source code.

Tomana
March 8th, 2008, 03:10 AM
good news indeed.

:guitar:
:-({|=

Jam'n

uzybear
March 9th, 2008, 03:21 AM
i don't give a **** what it looks similar too (though if they made an effort to look like windows i feel like puking).........what i care about is that it is clear, functional, attractive, and resource-light

ubuntu, and especially xubuntu, just looks great to me; love the drop-down menus from the top; love how add/remove puts programs in their correct category and in alphabetical order

even the font, the windows, the desk-bars at top and bottom, i find it all INTUITIVE and just swell; and a heck of a lot more attractive than windows; and actually, even a bit more attractive (to me) than OSX simply because all the jumping icons and what not i find annoying, not to mention the mind-numbing pain of one-button mouse, little round icons for open and close windows, and unable to maximize the ******* thing

it just looks and feels great

uzybear
March 9th, 2008, 03:23 AM
It is impossible for someone to corner the market on GNU/Linux. If you release GNU/Linux commercially, then you must release the source code.

therein lies the beauty

uzybear
March 9th, 2008, 03:30 AM
We are creatures of habit and, we have a flock mentality - as in Sheep

So, this naturally carries over to computer software. It's what folks
are used too and most of us resist having to change - right?

yes, this is true; and in this regard i don't begrudge linux having some windows similarities (cntrl-C to copy for instance, alt-tab to switch windows)

.......but alas, at this point linux isn't really THERE yet for most folks, and not completely THERE for powerusers; what's missing mostly is support from companies, develpors, peripherals......DRIVERS; but it's a catch22; you don't get the drivers and support if linux isn't popular, but linux won't get popular if **** DON'T WORK

but..........it's clear that linux has been, and will continue to be in an upward trend when it comes to consumer usage; i think it goes without saying that we're going to see more and more support for linux everyday, and one by one these ******* problems that still plague us will disappear; we're on the way up indeed

i still hold off on telling folks to make the big switch yet though; i'd like too, but i think it's silly to expect most folks to fix things manually (or worse yet can't fix them) which they've been used to working without any fuss on XP; but soon baby...........soon, soon; and we don't get there if folks don't adopt early and help things along, both in developing/programming, and also importantly, by simply USING linux, and thus making it more popular

fredbird67
March 14th, 2008, 11:56 PM
PiggiePaul, in one respect, I share your sentiment on this. I don't like my Ubuntu box to look like Vista, either. I mean, why make Linux look like an OS that has been PROVEN to be a piece of crap, even by those who will insist on nothing but Windows?

Also, as a general rule, I don't care for the Mac look, either -- I like to have my active titlebar showing some kind of color with some significant saturation to it, thank you very much. I can't stand that idea of having them all, active or inactive, just being gray. On this, it's just the look itself I don't like, nothing against the Mac per se.

Oddly enough, however, I am perfectly comfortable with making Ubuntu look like Windows XP, which didn't have NEAR the problems Vista had at its time of introduction. In fact, on my Ubuntu box, I've got my wife's account and a guest account set up to look like XP to try to hook 'em. ;-)

One thing I do like about Vista, though -- it's gotten a few people to try Linux, be it Ubuntu or another distribution, who wouldn't have otherwise done so. :)

Fred in St. Louis
--------------------------
I Ubuntu, therefore I am.

Achetar
March 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM
I totally agree Piggy. I have made my XP look like Vista, then 98, the OSX, and now back to XP, and I change my Ubuntu theme almost bi-weekly, but never will I make it look like OSX/9/8 or XP/Vista/98 intentionally.

herbster
March 22nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
One of the big motivators for me to move to linux was that I absolutely, positively hate the look of XP/Macs (Macs less so). To each their own, knock yourself out if you dig it, but man it's so damn bland and typical, I can't imagine being confined to using an interface like that all the time.

vexorian
March 22nd, 2008, 03:05 AM
You are not alone.

in fact, I think people wanting ubuntu not to look like vista, XP or OS/X are the majority, it is only that the "I like the other look more" crowd is a lot more vocal.