PDA

View Full Version : Has the Ubuntu room on IRC fallen off?

Magneto
December 4th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Last few times Ive been in there seems like it sucks- it used to be great but the last few times it sucked - anyone on here a regular over there?

oddabe19
December 4th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Last few times Ive been in there seems like it sucks- it used to be great but the last few times it sucked - anyone on here a regular over there?
I'm there all the time...
I think it's just the fact that there are so many people chatting at once, it just makes it worse. But there's no better place to chat with the actual developers.

in my opinion i would make several rooms:
ubuntu-help
ubuntu-chat
ubuntu-wiki
ubuntu-whatever

Magneto
December 4th, 2004, 05:40 PM
whats your irc name?

anyone else who replies- who are u on irc? im magneto

HungSquirrel
December 4th, 2004, 06:04 PM
It's on irc.freenode.net right? I have never been able to connect to that server. Maybe they block .edu's. :/

TravisNewman
December 4th, 2004, 06:26 PM
maybe your edu blocks freenode ;)

I'm panickedthumb when I get on, but that's rare. I hate slam full IRC chat rooms, and last few times I was there it was wicked full. I don't know how people hold conversations under those conditions.

oddabe19
December 4th, 2004, 07:22 PM
It's on irc.freenode.net right? I have never been able to connect to that server. Maybe they block .edu's. :/
when i was living on-campus, my university blocked IRC.... and p2p... and everything else... i just got fed up with the fact that i was doing legal downloading (like linux isos) and it kept getting blocked. So i moved into an apartment.

anyway....

i'm OddAbe19 i'm not on right now, since i just got done rebuilding my PC.... and i haven't had time to configure everything to my liking

HungSquirrel
December 4th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I can connect to other networks fine. :/

mattyh
December 4th, 2004, 07:39 PM
I use to be on it a lot, but I haven't lately, so I'm going to start back up now that I read this :)

btw, I'm vortex25 on there.

poofyhairguy
December 4th, 2004, 08:27 PM
I the poofyhairguy, but that place is a mad house. I like the idea of dividing the room.

daniels
December 4th, 2004, 09:43 PM
The problem is that it's a support channel, and you just don't get to have conversations in support channels (if you have long conversations about irrelevant stuff, you get the pleasure of me asking you to please take it elsewhere).

TravisNewman
December 4th, 2004, 09:47 PM
well, if it's a support channel, and you ask a support question, a support conversation results. It's still a conversation, and there are still way too many of them going on at times to follow anything.

Magneto
December 4th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Problem is I go there to ask a quick question on whether someone likes something or has seen a certain problem I have- and I will ask a very straight forward question - and some guy who doesnt know anything about it will start asking me some ******** questions about some side possible issue- and I will express again that Im asking is A such and such of B but it will go ignored and get bombarded again with BS - to the point I say screw it and hang out and help one or two people if possible then leave - that sucks

A support channel- well there's always a conversation about why use sudo or some other crap that dominates the room and plenty of newbies sit there without help

poofyhairguy
December 4th, 2004, 11:28 PM
A support channel- well there's always a conversation about why use sudo or some other crap that dominates the room and plenty of newbies sit there without help

Thats why I try to help when I can here in the forums.

Magneto
December 4th, 2004, 11:44 PM
same here - I dont hit that many threads but I generally try to help as long as the person is trying to help themselves too

poofyhairguy
December 5th, 2004, 12:07 AM
same here - I dont hit that many threads but I generally try to help as long as the person is trying to help themselves too

These forums are a great community, and have singlehandedly stopped me from changed distros every week (even though I might try to install Gentoo on my server soon just so I've tried all the major distros).

The faq (http://kitech.com.my/ubuntu/4.10/index.html) is great too, I would it the first link on the main forum page!

adbak
December 5th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Aye, my university is another one of those that blocks all ports so that the Windows users' computers don't get infected. Stupid Windows security flaws/holes! Taking away my IRC and MMORPG abilities!!

Quest-Master
December 5th, 2004, 05:31 AM
It's a huge channel.. one of the biggest distro-related channels out there. Usually around 280-300 when I'm online as Quest-Master too.

At least it shows the distro is getting popular, hehe..

mark
December 5th, 2004, 07:00 AM
"The only problem with instant gratification is that it's not fast enough!" Nowadays I post things here, maybe one or two other fora, and wait for a response. "Real-time" is a little frenetic as far as I'm concerned for stuff like this...

"Real-time?? It's called life...you should try it some time!" (A former boss, to me...)

zenwhen
December 5th, 2004, 03:46 PM
I just regged #ubuntuforums on freenode if anyone wants to come in. Perhaps with just forum folks it will be less tech supporty and more discussion. :)

I'll hand out ops to the mods if they come, and we'll see how it goes.

HungSquirrel
December 5th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Why'd you have to reg it at freenode? ](*,)

Does freenode do an ident check? I think that might be what's not getting through.

poofyhairguy
December 6th, 2004, 08:05 AM
I just regged #ubuntuforums on freenode if anyone wants to come in.

THX. I'll be there a lot.

Magneto
December 6th, 2004, 05:55 PM
does ubuntuforums still exist? cant see it on freenode

HungSquirrel
December 6th, 2004, 06:51 PM
I called my school's netadmin and he said they block port 6667 because some worms used that port. So, yet again, the Linux community (all three or so of us) is punished for our Windows counterparts' failure to secure their boxes. ](*,)

Anyone know if I can connect to freenode on a port other than the default?

Edit: why ask when you can nmap? Port 6666. 8)

TravisNewman
December 6th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I hate that. You could convince an off-campus friend to set up a proxy and connect through it :)

HungSquirrel
December 6th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I hate that. You could convince an off-campus friend to set up a proxy and connect through it :)
Heh, actually, I've been getting by by SSHing into my cousin's RedCrap box.

zenwhen
December 6th, 2004, 07:44 PM
does ubuntuforums still exist? cant see it on freenode

It exists, and you can join it, but no one seems to be coming in there. I'll be in there all day, but a room without people isn't very interesting. :)