PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu gaming vs. Windows gaming

_Phineas_
March 1st, 2008, 08:09 AM
http://www.petitiononline.com/oniblfl/petition.html There are programs out there like Cedega that can run some games but mostly old games. Some games can run under Wine or Crossover but not very many. Any alternatives to Windows?

Placified
March 1st, 2008, 08:53 AM
Dual Boot.

_Phineas_
March 1st, 2008, 10:40 PM
Id rather not dual boot, besides Ubuntu should come preinstalled with support for windows games.

buzzmandt
March 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM
no it shouldn't, that's preposterous.

If you "need" windows games there is a os out there called microsoft windows that runs them just fine.

jpeddicord
March 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
no it shouldn't, that's preposterous.

If you "need" windows games there is a os out there called microsoft windows that runs them just fine.

I agree. Ubuntu and Linux are not Windows, just like a Wii is not a PlayStation. You can't just put games from one system onto another and hope they will work, it's just not practical.

There are more important things to be worked on in the Ubuntu world - I don't think Windows compatibility is one of them. That may be one of the goals of Wine, but that's probably your only option other than dual-booting.

zerhacke
March 4th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Ubuntu should come preinstalled with support for windows games.

What the...

This is a ridiculous statement, Phineas.

Bog_Warrior
April 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM
How about Virtual Box or other VM?

canthus13
April 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Id rather not dual boot, besides Ubuntu should come preinstalled with support for windows games.

Eh? That's kind of like saying Ford should be parts-compatible with Honda.

--Me

yeaitsdark
April 21st, 2008, 03:39 AM
Ah today finally I've gotten pretty much everything I wanted to work in Ubuntu. I decided the other day to order an NVIDIA 8800GTS card by EVGA and I'm so happy I did. Gaming in Linux is now so awesome. Pretty much any game that someone else has gotten to work I can run. I just I guess wanted to share this with anyone that's getting frustrated with Linux and gaming. Don't give up hope!

To help out anyone that's looking I use a combination of Cedega/Wine also I've gotten my dual monitors to work with Twinview and everything is just well awesome. Super thanks to everyone at Ubuntu and to all the devs that help Linux gaming - you guys are the greatest!

Some day... I'll delete that partition with windows on it... some day. :D

Also, not to start any fights but yea with some effort and mad search engine use - you can do darn near anything. Thank god for APT-GET.

SonicSteve
April 21st, 2008, 03:42 AM
How about Virtual Box or other VM?

virtual 3d is not yet happening. Perhaps one day but not now.

jimbo2150
April 23rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
... If you "need" windows games there is a os out there called microsoft windows that runs them just fine.

Well, not exactly "fine." :lolflag:

morepowerr
April 29th, 2008, 10:19 PM
VM is the next evolution of OS,

Would be nice to have a version of linux with built in VM. And just have it load up 3 different OS client. All you would need to do is hit like shift+ F keys to change OS's

:p

Delvien
September 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM
VM is the next evolution of OS,

Would be nice to have a version of linux with built in VM. And just have it load up 3 different OS client. All you would need to do is hit like shift+ F keys to change OS's

:p

We wont need it. The next advancement in Virtualization is to run 1 application with full access to hardware, on any system, on any os, with any software.

Drivers/hardware are the next target for virtualization..

Picture this, you buy a computer and install ANYTHING on it, and all of the hardware works.

retro89
September 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Is there a big improvement from wine 1.0 vs 1.13?

_Phineas_
November 28th, 2008, 05:25 AM
lol It's funny have you ever tried running Flight Simulator 10 in Virtual Box it's horrifying even with a 3ghz dual core 6gb of ram and a 8800gt

zerhacke
December 4th, 2008, 10:00 PM
The real question is, "Have you ran Flight Simulator 10 on Windows with a 3ghz dual core 6gb of ram and a 8800gt?"

It works surprisingly well when you run software on the operating system it was designed for.

What, you seriously have a bitch about not running Windows programs on Linux and they don't work right? If it's that much a problem for you get a copy of Windows.