PDA

View Full Version : Call for java/netbeans developers for Aiotrade trading software

rbo83
February 29th, 2008, 07:16 PM
If anyone is interested in participating in the expansion/development of the current open source Aiotrade sofware, there is an opportunity to help a bunch of financially savvy people with very little time on their hands to do java/netbeans/svn stuff. In particular, the main developer has had to relinquish his development role, but has made an open community branch available. The challenge is the lack of system documentation, but several people can answer questions. You can download the package and give it a try. If someone is willing to take the leadership of the project, I believe that is also an opportunity. The last release is about 7 months old.

If you are interested, please visit the following site and post your interest in the forum there :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/humaitrader/

pmasiar
February 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Looks like it is BSD license, so orig developer can take contribution and put them in his private for-profit product. So I understand why people might be slow to contribute. Seems to me that this kind of product will be used by stock trading companies, rich enough to buy commercial product, and by people paid high enough not to waste time on evening after-work hacking sessions.

Hobby hacking in Java on a financial trading package? Nah, looks like should be a day job!

Of course if someone is interested, good for you. I am just saying why I would not be, to save you time looking at the project and analyzing it.

mike_g
February 29th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Hobby hacking in Java on a financial trading package? Nah, looks like should be a day job!

Haha :)

ZylGadis
March 1st, 2008, 12:22 AM
Nobody prevents you from taking the BSD-licensed code and re-licensing it under GPLv3 or even AGPL, pmasiar. That is the beauty of the BSD license :) Otherwise I agree, I would never release my code under BSD, it is the same as giving your enemy a loaded gun with the barrel pointing towards you.

Of course, I would not participate in developing financial software as a hobby, no matter the license. It is just not interesting, and the potential for commercial abuse is enormous.

pmasiar
March 1st, 2008, 03:21 AM
Nobody prevents you from taking the BSD-licensed code and re-licensing it under GPLv3 or even AGPL, pmasiar. That is the beauty of the BSD license :)

I suppose that would have to make substantial changes to the code, beyond just changing license, no? Also, if community's version is BSD, that license change would force me to maintain separate fork. Even if I could "steal" patches from BSD version, they would be prohibited to accept GPL-ed changes, so there would be no chance of merging back. After a while I bet they would develop the same features as added to GPL, but differently, and my GPL fork would collapse.

Just not worth doing the fork. If someone likes hacking for free under BSD license so some company can turn around and sell you free code, go ahead. Just without me.

BSD license is too free. It possibly makes sense for infrastructure software like OS or tools, but not for user-facing programs which can be sold for profit. Because someone else will be better positioned to make profit from the code than it's original author.

IANAL, IMHO, YMMV and all other usual disclaimers apply.

Looey
July 9th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I have used Aiotrade for many years now. I have not been able to run it in Ubuntu 11.4.