PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to spread the word about Ubuntu

pape
February 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM
So, what have you done?

By the way, if you are a Facebook user, how about joining a group "Ubuntu" today? We are about to break the 10.000 barrier soon!

steveneddy
February 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Use my Ubuntu laptop daily in a Windows shop.

k2t0f12d
February 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I suppose I have mentioned Ubuntu in the past; however, I make no concerted effort to increase any particular distribution's popularity.

pape
February 29th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I was prompted to do this poll after some calls for more "Ubuntu marketing" on Ubuntu Brainstorm.

I think the community enthusiasm is the best marketing any product can get. Microsoft can't get people to wear Vista t-shirts, or make people recommend it to their friends, no matter how much money it pours on marketing.

So, you can't really overestimate the value of small things, if hundreds of thousands of people do them.

So I guess this is not just a poll, but

=D> A CALL TO ACTION! =D>

kellemes
February 29th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I suppose I have mentioned Ubuntu in the past; however, I make no concerted effort to increase any particular distribution's popularity.

Precisely my thought..

I don't believe in marketing, if it's a good product people will know about it, if they don't know about it the product isn't good enough.

Also I'd rather support GNU/Linux instead of Ubuntu.
Still I'm a long time user of Ubuntu, that's the best support I can give.

kish
February 29th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I lend them CDs and help them setup and give a ragged old system a new life.

They did thank me later.:):):):)

kish
February 29th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Like pape says

The stuff inside speaks for the product.

And not to mention the great community :KS would be a terrible thing to do.

pape
February 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Also I'd rather support GNU/Linux instead of Ubuntu.

That is a fair point, and I agree that in terms of quality, Ubuntu does not necessarily deserve any more marketing than other distros.

But it is undeniable that Ubuntu is the first distro to "make it big". It has attracted lots of new people to linux, and this momentum should be used to the extent it can be used.

Besides, Ubuntu _is_ really good!

sillyxone
February 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
From my experience, pushing to hard will backfire.

I used to actively introduce and suggest Ubuntu to others but nothing changed, they acknowledge and move on. I even installed Ubuntu on my nephew laptop, but he has no incentive to leave Windows. Now I just keep using Ubuntu on my laptop without advertising it, and when people seek me to fix computer or for advice (I'm a tech), I will recommend FLOSS solution, and they are excited when discover Compiz's eye-candy on my laptop.

I think it's a normal psychological logic: when you force someone to something, they tend to resist it, even if it's good. But if you hide it from them, they'll think that it's valuable. Beside, it's all about "see a need, fill a need." If they don't have a need, you couldn't fill a need. Please be patience, wait for the chance.

I have to emphasize that I'm an advocate of free software, not just OSS. It's the freedom that is the most important. Ubuntu is the easiest way to get there for beginner.

The hardest thing I'm doing now: push FLOSS in Vietnam, where you can buy a CD full of pirated software in public with just $1.

agray
February 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM
i like to show off my laptop with an intel gma945 running compiz-fusion and all it's wonderful desktop effects compared to my classmates vista laptops that cost twice as much and only have crappy aero. i love watching their jaws drop as a right with flames on my desktop, unfortunately i haven't won any converts cause they're all gamers, but i'll keep trying.

~LoKe
February 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Nothing. A good product markets itself.

kellemes
February 29th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Nothing. A good product markets itself.

++1

Cloudy
February 29th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Same. I don't bring Ubuntu up unless someone's asking for alternatives to Windows or asks me about Linux distros.

kellemes
February 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Same. I don't bring Ubuntu up unless someone's asking for alternatives to Windows or asks me about Linux distros.

Indeed, I think people should be willing to invest there time and energy in finding an alternative for whatever reason, and than I can tell them about GNU/Linux as a great alternative, and in many ways even better.
Ubuntu *may* be the one I recommend people to start with since it's trying to provide as many comfort as possible, at least comparable with Windows. But I also point to other options like PCLOS, Fedora, OpenSuse, Mint etc.. etc.. There are 360+ distro's out there, all the best in there own way, Ubuntu star is rising he last couple of years, but so was RH or Suse ones..

Let's promote GNU/Linux! Otherwise you're going to lose those that can't get Ubuntu going but would be perfectly happy with one of the other flavors.

amazingtaters
February 29th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I don't do too much to "evangelize" for Ubuntu or Linux really. However, if a friend asks me about it (4 of my friends are either interested in or are getting started with Ubuntu, plus my RA) I'll tell them about it, answer their questions. The desire to learn about the OS has to come from them though.

matherians2
February 29th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I've got to trust Ubuntu first.