PDA

View Full Version : Java Linked List Creation

petzworld999
February 29th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I am trying to create a linked list in Java for a course. I am not allowed to use the LinkedList class built into Java. I understand that a linked list is made of objects with two nodes each: one with data and one with a pointer to the next. I just don't understand how to tack another one on without losing the old ones. This is the basic syntax I have, with Widget as my class. I know this is not actual code. flink is a class within the Widget class that stands for forward link.

main method

Widget f, n, p;
f=n;
p=n;

addWidget();

f.flink = p;

public static void addWidget()
{
Widget n = new Widget();
Widget p = new Widget();
n.setName = ("George");
//setName is a method in the Widget class
}

If anyone can understand what I am trying to say, any help would help greatly. I have written more code if anyone is interested in that.

Jessehk
February 29th, 2008, 03:33 AM
psuedocode

function append(list, item) {
set iterator to list-head;
while ( iterator.next != end-of-list ) {
iterator := iterator.next;
}

iterator.next := make_node( data );
}

Where make_node automatically sets the next pointer to the end of list (probably null, but I'm not entirely fluent in Java :)).

this (http://www.eternallyconfuzzled.com/tuts/datastructures/jsw_tut_linklist.aspx) is a great reference for linked lists BTW, but you need to understand C.

Wybiral
February 29th, 2008, 03:38 AM
psuedocode

function append(list, item) {
set iterator to list-head;
while ( iterator.next != end-of-list ) {
iterator = iterator.next;
}

iterator.next = make_node( data );
}

Where make_node automatically sets the next pointer to the end of list (probably null, but I'm not entirely fluent in Java :)).

While this is a common "append" / "push_back" implementation, it's also O(n) when it could be O(1) just by having the LinkedList class store a pointer to both the front and back of the list (this also allows for O(1) "prepend" / "push_front" as well). Unless your course requires you to only store one node (or that one extra pointer sets you over your memory budget), I would suggest keeping both front and back pointers in the class.

Digitz
February 29th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Ah, I also had to build an own implementation of a linked list in Java.

public class Node {

Object element;
Node next;

public Node(Object o) {
element = o;
}
}

an addfirst and addlast method (u need to define a Node first,last in your class, and perhaps a variable to save the size of the list):

public void addFirst(Object o){

Node newNode = new Node(o);
newNode.next = first;
first = newNode;
size++;

if(last == null) last = first;
}

public void addLast(Object o){
if(last == null) {
first = last = new Node(o);
}
else {
last.next = new Node(o);
last = last.next;
}

size++;
}

Hope u understand now (please dont just use this code without understanding it). If not, I can get you an illustration of how a linked list works, how the elements point to each other (teacher site is offline now though...).

petzworld999
February 29th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Okay, thank you. I understand better now.