PDA

View Full Version : Operating systems used in movies

empthollow
February 28th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I was wondering if anyone else watches movies and wonders what operating system these people are supposedly using. Mission Impossible is a great example. The hackers in these movies are using some monochromatic OS that looks more like UT2003 than any os i've ever seen. I think i've looked at all the linux desktop and none look like that. Has anyone else wondered about those OS's or tried to create the desktop? I'd love to see screenshots of these computers if anyone has them or see how big of a list of movies we can make with a fictional operating system.

Chame_Wizard
February 28th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I thinks it's called HollywoodOS:lolflag:

SunnyRabbiera
February 28th, 2008, 05:51 PM
It depends.
I have seen BSD used in movies (see die hard) linux, windows but the most popular is mac it seems.
OSX seems to be the primary one in most movies I see, but you know its for promotion.

p_quarles
February 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
A while back, someone posted a still from an episode of 24. Part of a KDE desktop was very clearly visible. I'm not going to track down the thread, but it's there somewhere for whoever wants to look.

marco123
February 28th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Do you mean like this?:)

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Die+Hard+4.0+-+Matthew+Farrel%27s+theme+%28E?content=66714

k2t0f12d
February 28th, 2008, 06:03 PM
It cracks me up when I see the suits on the couch on the Fox News morning show fiddling with a Mac, or as product placement in the show House, M.D. I havent watched much television at all in the last five years or so, but now whenever I even glance at the thing its a Mac attack. :rolleyes:

Northsider
February 28th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I'd love to know what they used in Hackers. lol

bobbocanfly
February 28th, 2008, 06:11 PM
A while back, someone posted a still from an episode of 24. Part of a KDE desktop was very clearly visible. I'm not going to track down the thread, but it's there somewhere for whoever wants to look.

Someone posted this in the Ubuntu-uk mailing list a few days ago ("Ubuntu Spotting" thread).

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-uk/attachments/20080226/28913bcc/attachment-0001.jpg

LaRoza
February 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM
In Jurassic Park there is a "Unix" system.

In Independence Day, there is an OS which magically is able to be compatible with an alien mother ship, hardware and software.

(I wonder if the aliens used USB and used ELF executables?)

tehet
February 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Did anyone see the (terrible) pilot of knightrider 2008? They had something flaky going on on the terminals of the truc... erm, plane.

LaRoza
February 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Computers in Movies (http://computerjokes.net/073.htm)

Independence Day (http://computerjokes.net/086.htm) Links for other movies in this one.

forrestcupp
February 28th, 2008, 06:38 PM
And why is it that they always have to type a lot to get the computer to do anything, even if the screen is showing something graphical. In real life, I very rarely use the keyboard to get the computer to do stuff unless I'm typing a message.

p_quarles
February 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM
And why is it that they always have to type a lot to get the computer to do anything, even if the screen is showing something graphical. In real life, I very rarely use the keyboard to get the computer to do stuff unless I'm typing a message.
Sure, but the command line is much more efficient for uploading viruses to the alien mothership's POSIX-compliant weapons systems. It's all about choosing the right tool for the job.

Tristam Green
February 28th, 2008, 06:45 PM
..or for showing the countdown to Armageddon converted from alien code.

The only ones I recognized were a "Unix System" in Jurassic Park, I know Linux/Unix was in "Firewall", Macs were also used in Jurassic Park - Nedry's system had a distinct Apple Look.

bigbrovar
February 28th, 2008, 06:50 PM
does anybody know the operating system used by the bad guys in die hard 4.0 .. the one there use in uploading their bomb triggering virus to peoples computers.... i know that the lappy is an alienware .. but OS where there using ..

justsomedude
February 28th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Niki from Heroes uses KDE. http://www.eikehein.com/kde/heroes/

There were a couple of other instances where I have seen Linux boxes on that show...

tdrusk
February 28th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I think they are running KDE in Fight Club when they are talking about the new program or something in the office meeting. He asks if the icon can be a different color, but the screen behind them looks like KDE.

SunnyRabbiera
February 28th, 2008, 07:07 PM
In Jurassic Park there is a "Unix" system.

In Independence Day, there is an OS which magically is able to be compatible with an alien mother ship, hardware and software.

Well Goldblums character did use a Mac... maybe the aliens used win95 :D

Tristam Green
February 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Well Goldblums character did use a Mac... maybe the aliens used win95 :D

The OS looked Apple, but I could have sworn the physical box was that of an older IBM Thinkpad.

MONODA
February 28th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I think they are running KDE in Fight Club when they are talking about the new program or something in the office meeting. He asks if the icon can be a different color, but the screen behind them looks like KDE.
lol i thought the same thing too but its not, its microsoft (I have read the book it says it in there) great movie btw:)

empthollow
February 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I believe they are using kde in antitrust, and what is that open Synapse or some sort of advanced chat program.:lolflag:

empthollow
February 28th, 2008, 08:19 PM
The OS looked Apple, but I could have sworn the physical box was that of an older IBM Thinkpad.

IBM was apple's PPC chip manufacturer so in theory it's possible that they could have had mac os running on it.

akiratheoni
February 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM
As said before, Heroes uses KDE and several KDE apps. Also Masi Oka (the person who plays Hiro) is the spokesperson for the OLPC.

EDIT: 200th post! :)

Het Irv
February 28th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Hearing the keyboard is more entertaining than listening to a mouse move....yeah we'll go with that.

Tristam Green
February 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM
IBM was apple's PPC chip manufacturer so in theory it's possible that they could have had mac os running on it.

Dang, I can't believe I forgot about the PPC. I even used to work on dual-boot PPC's in early high school >.> Good eye!

BDNiner
February 28th, 2008, 11:15 PM

Wow that is crazy. especially since you use linux. I can use my computer exclusively with a keyboard and i find it faster to use shortcuts on a keyboard than point and click with a mouse.

I think everyone will agree that the keyboard is more efficient than the mouse.

popch
February 28th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I think everyone will agree that the keyboard is more efficient than the mouse.

I don't.

LaRoza
February 28th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I don't.

It depends on what you are doing.

Try typing with a mouse...possible, but it takes a long time.

popch
February 28th, 2008, 11:25 PM
It depends on what you are doing.

Quite.

I do not agree that using the keyboard is more efficient for all computer related activities. It is for some.

The same is probably true for every input device anyone would care to name.

phrostbyte
February 29th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Most of the "OSes" in the movies are actually fake UIs written in something like Flash.

drbob07
February 29th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Quote all the jurrasic park threads

You never know, they may be using A/UX. Apple look, and the command line they mess around with :). (Mac OS 7 & 8 with a Unix command line, didn't even know it existed, wiki says it does though, so it must be true)

~LoKe
February 29th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Didn't read the whole thread, but I'm pretty sure Trinity uses a Linux based machine when hacking into the powerplant.

shad0w_walker
February 29th, 2008, 12:12 AM
In Matrix Revolutions Trinity uses Nmap and a known, real exploit to hack the power grid.

Trap_
February 29th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Nmap was also used in The Bourne Ultimatum.

From most of the movies I've seen all the computers were Macs.

el_ricardo
February 29th, 2008, 12:54 AM
all the computers in heroes are linux based, i think it's mandriva with KDE, not sure though

mips
February 29th, 2008, 01:20 AM

What amazed me more happend just before Jeff Goldblum though of the virus. One moment he was legless on a bottle of Jack Daniels and 5min later he was stone sober, just from coffee.

People in the USA are either very tough or the coffee is very strong (which I know it is'nt) ;)

NightwishFan
February 29th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I liked Independence Day. However, I am easily amused.

tdrusk
February 29th, 2008, 01:48 AM
lol i thought the same thing too but its not, its microsoft (I have read the book it says it in there) great movie btw:)

that makes sense, since he mentions corporate Microsoft in the beginning.

init1
February 29th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Yep, I've noticed it :D
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=490460

Whiffle
February 29th, 2008, 02:24 AM
What amazed me more happend just before Jeff Goldblum though of the virus. One moment he was legless on a bottle of Jack Daniels and 5min later he was stone sober, just from coffee.

People in the USA are either very tough or the coffee is very strong (which I know it is'nt) ;)

Ah yes, but do you know anything about Area 51 coffee? Its probably got alien technology in it :D

WayOutWest
February 29th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Didn't read the whole thread, but I'm pretty sure Trinity uses a Linux based machine when hacking into the powerplant.

The hack she runs in that scene was a real backdoor hack. It was reported on TechTV when the movie came out which was a reliable source, unlike G4 now...

jpittack
February 29th, 2008, 04:39 AM

I was watching that movie after midnight last summer. I could not stop laughing. Some clueless lady is freaking out. Two system admins are talking in the dumbest terms. "Give it a flu shot". I have never heard that term before.

All of this is being displayed and the weirdest screen. We don't have a screen for that today. Rabbits are running lose. No where does the screen show that the system admins are actually doing something. I I don't see what was wrong with one of them getting up and unplugging the internet.

Jay Jay
March 1st, 2008, 02:33 AM
I was going to add Revolution OS to this list, but then I remembered that the film, an overview of Linux, doesn't actually show any distros in action... :)

bruce89
March 1st, 2008, 02:55 AM
I believe they are using kde in antitrust, and what is that open Synapse or some sort of advanced chat program.:lolflag:

I don't think so. Miguel de Icaza was in that film, so I'd assume it'd be GNOME.

Someone on Planet GNOME said they saw GNOME on Big Momma's House 2 when it was being shown on a plane.

MONODA
April 7th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I watched a movie the other day and saw an ad for untracable, that is the stupidest movie ever!!! Supposedly, a person puts up a website so that the more people visit the website, the quicker a person dies. the government (who uses vista) gets involved and tells the public not to go to the site. (cant they just take it down? the site has to have some host.) also the murderer hacks into the police officer's car's computer XD and can control the car LOLOL and all of a sudden he shows up in the back seat with a knifeLOLOL you have to see the trailer lol.

Mazza558
April 7th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I watched a movie the other day and saw an ad for untracable, that is the stupidest movie ever!!! Supposedly, a person puts up a website so that the more people visit the website, the quicker a person dies. the government (who uses vista) gets involved and tells the public not to go to the site. (cant they just take it down? the site has to have some host.) also the murderer hacks into the police officer's car's computer XD and can control the car LOLOL and all of a sudden he shows up in the back seat with a knifeLOLOL you have to see the trailer lol.

Even by Hollywood standards, that sounds ridiculous.

NightwishFan
April 7th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I concur. I would rather see the idea we thought up. Terrorist hackers take over the known world and it us up to a few of us open source users to save it. =D

Saint Angeles
April 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I don't think so. Miguel de Icaza was in that film, so I'd assume it'd be GNOME...
true, the credits at the end of the movie (antitrust) say: special thanks to GNOME...

swoll1980
April 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM

you have to remember though that they had that space ship for 50 years they could have reverse engined the OS and developed some drivers for it

Jay Jay
April 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM

lol I remember seeing that trailer on TV, simply absurd :)

kidux
April 7th, 2008, 08:56 PM
you have to remember though that they had that space ship for 50 years they could have reverse engined the OS and developed some drivers for it

Except they couldn't activate it until the mothership showed up because they couldn't replicate the alien power source.

NightwishFan
April 7th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I love that movie.

swoll1980
April 7th, 2008, 10:53 PM
my desktop 4.0-ed

swoll1980
April 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM
oops the screen shot isn't attaching for some reason

D-EJ915
April 8th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Jurassic park was nice because the stuff they did was actually real, some stuff was fudged (like the "laptops") but the actual SGI systems were real, they used SGI stuff to make the movie and in the movie, lol. http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/movies/jpark.php

swoll1980
April 8th, 2008, 04:02 AM
it's funny because in the movies all the computer guys and hackers and such have these really snazzy GUIs and I picture a real hacker with some really boring desktop if any at all
simply to limit the ammount of resorces hes using

blithen
April 8th, 2008, 05:09 AM
That movie is EPIC.
That being aside I would like to know as well.
As well as all the viruses they used. :P

warbread
April 8th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Niki from Heroes uses KDE. http://www.eikehein.com/kde/heroes/

There were a couple of other instances where I have seen Linux boxes on that show...

I know they just use it to save money, but there's something about imagining Ali Larter compiling a kernel or swearing over borked dependencies that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

kutjara
April 8th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I thinks it's called HollywoodOS:lolflag:

Yeah, that special OS that allows the user to type random keys, flap their hands in the vague direction of the mouse, fiddle around with CDs and flash drives, and somehow infiltrate the Pentagon's mainframes.

Actually, that could probably happen.

Tundro Walker
April 9th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Yeah, that special OS that allows the user to type random keys, flap their hands in the vague direction of the mouse, fiddle around with CDs and flash drives, and somehow infiltrate the Pentagon's mainframes.

Actually, that could probably happen.

In Hollywood, hackers are morons who type everything out that they're doing.

In real life, hackers are folks smart enough to use pre-fabbed scripts and tools to do a lot of work with minimal typing ... *yawn*

In Hollywood, you see tons of crap fly by the screen, or pictures of mugshots or finger prints go by as the computer does its searching or hacking.

In real life, a progress bar shows up and cooks a little until it tells you it's done ... *yawn*

In Hollywood, a hacker's screen looks like this ...

http://www.terragame.com/downloadable/hacker/bs_hacker_replay_unlimited/screen_1.jpg

http://www.terragame.com/downloadable/hacker/uplink_hacker_elite/screen_1.jpg

In real life, a hacker's screen looks like this ...

http://www.sdconsult.no/linux/ipcop-1.4/images/35-altf3.png

https://dcse.dell.com/selfstudy/Associates_5_0/Servers_5_0/images/ESM/1.jpg

In Hollywood, hackers can do this ...

http://www.publicedcenter.org/images/mushroom-cloud.jpg

In real life, hackers can do this ...

http://ketok.com/news/_files/Image/2007/0702171346hack_egold1.jpg

Truly, Hollywood is the lesser of two evils...

justin whitaker
April 9th, 2008, 04:46 AM

I think it is a trading platform, but I'm not sure which one...they all look alike. :)

Tundro Walker
April 9th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Of course, you can always make your own Hollywood stupidity ...

ctyc
April 9th, 2008, 05:10 AM
are you all suggesting that what comes out of hollywood is less than truthfull...who knew :)

Rim3nX
March 31st, 2009, 03:53 PM
I concur. I would rather see the idea we thought up. Terrorist hackers take over the known world and it us up to a few of us open source users to save it. =D

LOL... hahahaha, dude, that is great idea...
I could call that movie "OpenSource Insurrection"

Rim3nX
March 31st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Of course, you can always make your own Hollywood stupidity ...
Indeed...

nortexoid
April 3rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
I just googled this topic after watching an episode of 24 which showed (hilariously) a bunch of windows shuffling back and forth on some dude's computer as he did a search. The OSes of Hackers, Enemy of the State, The Matrix, Swordfish, and tons others always gave me a boner..whoops, I meant made me laugh. In Hackers there's a bunch of symbols (e.g. uppercase Sigma) floating around in your face. Super realistic.

NightwishFan
April 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Technically not a movie, though but NCIS seems to reference a lot of open source stuff.

billgoldberg
April 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I just googled this topic after watching an episode of 24 which showed (hilariously) a bunch of windows shuffling back and forth on some dude's computer as he did a search. The OSes of Hackers, Enemy of the State, The Matrix, Swordfish, and tons others always gave me a boner..whoops, I meant made me laugh. In Hackers there's a bunch of symbols (e.g. uppercase Sigma) floating around in your face. Super realistic.

Actually, if I'm not mistaking, they are using Microsoft Surface in the new 24 series.

--

I recently watched an episode of CSI Miama.

I was laughing every time their computers came in the show.

The stuff those people are doing with their computers is just laughable.

Mehall
April 6th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Where's all the LCARS love?

There were a ton of Star Trek Movies!!

We need an LCARS Window Manager dangit!!

zammtronic
April 2nd, 2011, 10:48 PM
Digging up an old thread here...

The operating system used in the Jurassic Park compound, namely the one used by Lex when she is restoring power to the park. Go SGI!

http://www.sgistuff.net/funstuff/hollywood/jpark.html

andymorton
April 2nd, 2011, 11:38 PM
I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire recently, both excellent; and there were Macs all over the place in those.
I never really took any notice at which OSs were used in movies until I started using Linux but now I find myself pausing it to get a good look at the characters' screens. :D

Dustin2128
April 3rd, 2011, 12:24 AM
Necromancy...

Khakilang
April 3rd, 2011, 05:26 AM
Matrix was a great movie until they use Oracle on one of the character.

pi3.1415926535...
April 3rd, 2011, 05:55 AM
I find the use of some KDE distro in The Social Network interesting, because, it is most likely fairly accurate to both the time and the abilities opinions of Mr. Zuckerberg. Unix commands featured fairly prominently in the beginning of that movie as well.

vehemoth
April 3rd, 2011, 05:57 AM
I was just about to say the same thing :lolflag:

Windows Nerd
April 3rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Tron: Legacy was pretty darn accurate with their Linux system that Sam Flynn uses to get into the grid. Only fail was running "#bin/history". It's just history. But they got simple ones such as "whoami" perfect and compiling a program...make/make install/etc where shown :D