PDA

View Full Version : WoW in game crash.

baudday
February 28th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Ok, so I have WoW running almost absolutely perfectly with my Radeon X850 card. The problem I'm having is a while into playing the game, the whole system will just lock up and i'll have to power it off and back on. I had the problem where it would crash as soon as i entered the world, but I fixed that by adding those 3 lines of code to the wtf file. Another problem i'm having is the game crashing when I adjust the video settings in game. The reason I was doing this was to get optimal resolution, but I can live with 1024 x 780. The main problem now is the mid-game crash.

baudday
February 28th, 2008, 04:38 AM
not sure why i'm never getting replies on any of my threads...

Snipershot
February 28th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I belive you can set the resolution in the WTF file
SET gxResolution "1600x1200"

baudday
February 29th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Thank you very much, does anyone else know anything about the crash that's happening? It seems to happen about 15-20 minutes into playing.

MrShurr
March 21st, 2008, 05:44 AM
I have exactly the same problem. :( It sucks.

MrShurr
March 21st, 2008, 06:32 AM
Hey! I think I fixed the problem! The thing is, I haven't tested it fully. But after making these changes the game seems to be running fine. It's been running for about 30 minutes... which is longer than it used to before crashing.

First of, go into WoW and configure it to run in windowed mode (log into a character, press escape, click video, and check "windowed mode"). This will eliminate any sound or graphical issues when alt-tabbing and stuff like that. After you've done that, exit the game.

Go into terminal and run

winecfg

Click the audio tab. If you've been running under the OSS Driver, then uncheck OSS and check ALSA Driver (This is the one I did). If you've been running ALSA Driver, uncheck ALSA and check OSS Driver. Click Apply and you should be fine.

I was running OSS, and after switching to ALSA it seemed to work fine. I didn't fully test this, though. So it might not work.

Hope I helped!

baudday
March 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
thanks a lot for that reply. can anyone verify that this has in fact solved the problem? I have applied the changes, but haven't gotten enough time to test it out.

baudday
April 12th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Hey! I think I fixed the problem! The thing is, I haven't tested it fully. But after making these changes the game seems to be running fine. It's been running for about 30 minutes... which is longer than it used to before crashing.

First of, go into WoW and configure it to run in windowed mode (log into a character, press escape, click video, and check "windowed mode"). This will eliminate any sound or graphical issues when alt-tabbing and stuff like that. After you've done that, exit the game.

Go into terminal and run

Click the audio tab. If you've been running under the OSS Driver, then uncheck OSS and check ALSA Driver (This is the one I did). If you've been running ALSA Driver, uncheck ALSA and check OSS Driver. Click Apply and you should be fine.

I was running OSS, and after switching to ALSA it seemed to work fine. I didn't fully test this, though. So it might not work.

Hope I helped!

This solved all my problems. I can now play for hours on end without any problems. Thanks a lot :guitar: