PDA

View Full Version : Serenity was a great friggin' movie.

Stormy Eyes
October 1st, 2005, 11:31 PM
I'm serious. If you're in the US and you enjoyed Firefly, like good sci-fi, or just want to see a good, tightly-plotted movie for once, go see Serenity (http://serenitymovie.com/). My wife and I saw it this afternoon, and I can guaran-ruttin'-tee that you'll get your money's worth.

Pluk
October 1st, 2005, 11:35 PM
Im waiting for ages till that movie hits the cinemas.. :D
Hope i dont have too high expectations from it... cuz the series was awesome!

Lovechild
October 1st, 2005, 11:54 PM
Don't spoil it for me, the movie buiness being evil, releases most movies much later in Europe - hell there's not even a release date posted for the danish market so we might not even get it, which would be sad.

skoal
October 2nd, 2005, 12:24 AM
That dude from Full Metal Jacket is in there, and I think he was in the Firefly series too. Man, whatever happened to that series? I watched 2 episodes and was hooked, got busy or something, went back to watch, and it got moved to the dreaded Saturday nite wormhole slot or something. Good series. I didn't even know this movie was based off that TV series until you mentioned it. A must see for me then.

thanks.

\\//_

Stormy Eyes
October 2nd, 2005, 01:36 AM
Man, whatever happened to that series? I watched 2 episodes and was hooked, got busy or something, went back to watch, and it got moved to the dreaded Saturday nite wormhole slot or something.

What happened? Fox screwed it up. To begin with, they didn't show the first episode. They showed the rest out of order, and constantly pre-empted the show for baseball games. This, by the way, is one of the three reasons I refuse to watch network/cable/satellite TV (the others being censorship and advertisements). You can get Firefly on DVD in a nice boxed set for about $40 USD. It's worth it.

Stormy Eyes
October 2nd, 2005, 01:37 AM
Don't spoil it for me, the movie buiness being evil, releases most movies much later in Europe - hell there's not even a release date posted for the danish market so we might not even get it, which would be sad.

My guess is that Universal wants to see if it breaks even or turns a profit in the US before they bother with foreign release. I'm sure somebody went to the trouble of putting a bootleg copy on the net somewhere; you can't stop the signal, after all.

MetalMusicAddict
October 2nd, 2005, 04:28 AM
I'm serious. If you're in the US and you enjoyed Firefly, like good sci-fi, or just want to see a good, tightly-plotted movie for once, go see Serenity (http://serenitymovie.com/). My wife and I saw it this afternoon, and I can guaran-ruttin'-tee that you'll get your money's worth.
Wow really. I was kinda on the fence about it. Maybe I'll catch it tomorrow. :)

joele
October 2nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
My guess is that Universal wants to see if it breaks even or turns a profit in the US before they bother with foreign release.

Don't think that is the case exactly, it was released in Australia last Thursday, and we are a pretty pissant market...

Was a great movie BTW ;-)

N'Jal
October 2nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
Serenity will be release in the UK on the 6th of October, shiny :D, yes boxed sets are avlible in the UK. I have a region 2 UK DVD. Well worth gettin'

This not a FOX production, universal saw firefly and wanted to see if it could be revived, so, if you are a firefly fan or just really like the movie watch it several times at the movies, since if profits are good one of two things will happen, season 2 will start development or another 2 movies will be made, or so the rumours go atm. However if profits are not good, alas Joss will be forced to shelf it for a while, he really likes firefly, it was he favorite idea, but unfortunatly if it's not making money it can't last. Which is a shame, because quite frankly Firefly wasn't just a sci-fi series, i view it almost as art. It was so smart and funny and REAL!!!! The characters were real people, with real problems.

Nattydraddy
October 2nd, 2005, 12:37 PM
Iīm in Europa so i canīt see it (now), but how does this Movie belong to Firefly?
On the Movie-Page i read only stuff like:
ABOUT THE FILM
Joss Whedon- the Oscar(r)- and Emmy-nominated writer/director responsible for the worldwide television phenomena of Buffy the Vampire Slayer...
Is Serenity something like the Pilot to Firefly or what is it?:confused:

N'Jal
October 2nd, 2005, 12:43 PM
The crew live on a firefly class transport ship, called serenity, firefly was the series and serenity picks up pretty much where the frefly left off, so it would be advisable to watch all of firefly before watching serenity. There is a lot of things going on between the characters that is explained in the series, that might just seem a bit odd in the movie without the background story.

Stormy Eyes
October 2nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Is Serenity something like the Pilot to Firefly or what is it?:confused:

The pilot to the Firefly series was also called 'Serenity', the ship 'Serenity' itself is a Firefly-class transport vessel, and Capt. Reynolds made his last stand against the Anglo-Sino Alliance at Serenity Valley. It really helps if you've seen the series before you see the film.

poofyhairguy
October 2nd, 2005, 06:38 PM
Quick question- I have missed Firefly so far (kinda saving it for later in life seeing as how its dead and there isn't much good SciFi around). Can I see the movie without ever seeing any episodes? Will seeing the movie ruin the episodes I haven't seen?

Thanks.

N'Jal
October 2nd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Yes, the movie will spoil some episodes, much in the same way watching episode 10 before episode 7 will spoil it. Lots of the episodes pick up where the previous one left off, without much time passing.

poofyhairguy
October 2nd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Yes, the movie will spoil some episodes, much in the same way watching episode 10 before episode 7 will spoil it. Lots of the episodes pick up where the previous one left off, without much time passing.

So should I wait till I've seen all of Firefly to see the movie?

N'Jal
October 2nd, 2005, 11:00 PM
I would advise it, since the series explains about the relations between the characters and how tense the relations can be, or how open they are. It a very character orientated seires as opposed to action based. The characters are well thought out and well written. It's part of what made it so good, at times you felt as if you knew the characters.

HungSquirrel
October 4th, 2005, 02:26 PM
This was one of the best movies I have seen in years, and easily the best I've seen in 2005. As a manager at a movie theatre, I see lots of movies, so I think I'm qualified to say how much posterior it kicks.

HungSquirrel
October 7th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I just purchased Firefly on DVD based soley on the merits of Serenity. By the way, due to interest rekindled by the movie release, it is the fifth best-selling DVD on Amazon today, and was the third yesterday.

mike998
October 7th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Serenity was well worth going to see. If you can get to see the series then please do so, that's well worth seeing as well.

Kaylee's line as the gang are going in to see Fanty and Mingo is amongst my favourites in the whole series and movie combined!

(No spoilers from ME!)

HungSquirrel
October 8th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Yes, I died laughing in the theatre when she said that...and at the replies.

skoal
October 11th, 2005, 12:40 AM
I'm a leaf upon the wind, watch me as I soar...

Man, I just dislocated my thumb while trying to rate this thing. Ah hell, who cares at this point, it's out of socket now so just imagine me tugging on it by it's ligaments. Wayyyyyyyyy up! That is all.

\\//_

poofyhairguy
October 11th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Its an awesome movie. And I never DID see an episode first!

jrzy
October 11th, 2005, 01:12 AM
I've heard nothing but great reviews ....but when did this tv series Firefly come on and where?? I missed the boat with this show............

skoal
October 11th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Actually, poofy, I think in a lot of ways that's the _way_ to see this movie, without ever seeing an episode of Firefly. There are good reasons why I think that's so, but that would require more details here...

must. resist. temptation...

Maybe in a week I'll start a separate Firefly thread, since I have some questions about the movie and series as well. Or, better yet, maybe I'll just see this movie again!

\\//_

matthew
October 11th, 2005, 01:31 AM
I saw it this weekend and have not enjoyed a movie this much in a long time. It was well written, well directed, the filming was good, and the acting was good. There was a nice mix of engaging plot and occasional tension-breaking irreverant humor.

I will watch this one again soon!

HungSquirrel
October 11th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Its an awesome movie. And I never DID see an episode first!
I haven't seen Firefly yet, either, but I am sure the box set will not disappoint me when it arrives. (Hurry up, Amazon!)

doclivingston
October 11th, 2005, 02:42 PM
For anyone who has Windows or MacOS handy UIP have put up the first 9 minutes of Serenity (http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_Serenity/web/index.html), in decent quality. Unfortunately you can't watch it from Linux (although I guess Wine might work).

Stormy Eyes
October 11th, 2005, 03:19 PM
I've heard nothing but great reviews ....but when did this tv series Firefly come on and where?? I missed the boat with this show............

So did I, but thank Prometheus for DVD. :) Firefly aired on Fox TV in the US back in 2002, but was cancelled before its 13 episode run due to poor ratings -- which were caused by Fox's mismanagement. (If you want a new TV series to take off, don't screw with its time slot or pre-empt it for f---ing baseball.)

doclivingston
October 11th, 2005, 03:40 PM
So did I, but thank Prometheus for DVD. :) Firefly aired on Fox TV in the US back in 2002, but was cancelled before its 13 episode run due to poor ratings -- which were caused by Fox's mismanagement. (If you want a new TV series to take off, don't screw with its time slot or pre-empt it for f---ing baseball.)

Actually there were 14 episodes filmed (including the double-length pilot), but only 11 were screened in the US. Fox screening them out-of-order didn't help either, as character development is a big part of Firefly.

My local (.tas.au) TV station screened them at the end of last year (at 2am), although I didn't realise that they were on until the second-last episode. Luckily I had already heard good things about the series, downloaded a few episodes, got addicted and ordered the DVDs.

skoal
October 11th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Firefly aired on Fox TV in the US back in 2002, but was cancelled before its 13 episode run due to poor ratings -- which were caused by Fox's mismanagement.
Yeah, they f'd that one up one good. They had something special there...

I love old Westerns, and Sci Fi too. IMO, This series is like "The Magnificent Seven" meets the 22nd century, although the lead role reminds me more of John Wayne. Hired gunslingers are out for justice on the vast wild frontiers of space, with a subtle yet hip musical underscore mixed throughout the show. A real depiction of what early space colonization would be like...

A real loss...

\\//_

N'Jal
October 12th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Guys hop on over to the official movie site and look for the browncoats site. earn points spend it on free merch.

Anyway according to Joss because of the fan's dedication, anyone who watched the episodes bought the DVD's watched the movie etc the movie was written for them. He claims that if it were not for the fan's dedication not to let firefly die that the movie was possible. And if this movie does well there are others planned. So if you enjoyed it watch it again in the cinema just to keep the ratings good. I have already gotten my housemate to go twice, and the second time he didn't even say he was going :( ah well i have another house mate, and his girlfriend i even got into Firefly :D

HungSquirrel
October 19th, 2005, 05:13 PM
It has come to my attention that we have fifteen (!) Serenity posters at work and we're losing the movie Friday, meaning we don't need them anymore. Anyone want one or two? (I can only send a few...I'm not rich ya know!)

Stormy Eyes
October 19th, 2005, 05:23 PM
It has come to my attention that we have fifteen (!) Serenity posters at work and we're losing the movie Friday, meaning we don't need them anymore. Anyone want one or two? (I can only send a few...I'm not rich ya know!)

I'd like one. I'll pay shipping plus a few bucks extra.

RastaMahata
November 2nd, 2005, 03:41 PM
Damn, that was a great movie...
I hope they make a sequel (maybe even 2)... And i really hope they dont call them serenity reloaded/revolutions/returns/forever/etc... or anything like that... :(
And yes, I cried in the movie... You know in what scenes....