PDA

View Full Version : XFCE's pretty dang nice, I must say.

SomeGuyDude
February 27th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I'm always looking for stuff to try, so I decided to putz around with XFCE today.

I've tried KDE (3.5 and 4.0), GNOME, Flux, Enlightenment, and after all of 'em I went back to GNOME. But, since I've got that wanderlust (plus I want to maximize battery life), I decided to give XFCE a try and installed it (not the "xubuntu-desktop" version).

Threw on Compiz/Emerald and a GTK theme I had laying around plus my icons, and really it feels dang slick. I totally got rid of my panels and rather like the right-click -> menu business. Plus, hey, it's lighter on resources so my battery'll last longer.

I'm almost tempted to scrap GNOME entirely, but I have to admit it still feels a little "foreign". Not quite used to it yet. Getting there, though.

:guitar:

NightwishFan
February 27th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I wanted to convert to Xfce entirely I admit it is nice. I am huge on random customizations though, so I just stuck with gnome.

SomeGuyDude
February 27th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I'm unsure of it at the moment, but at the very least I'd rank it 2nd on everything I've tried so far, behind GNOME and ahead of KDE.

NightwishFan
February 27th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Third for me, I like jwm for some reason.

sunexplodes
February 27th, 2008, 08:19 AM
My current fixation is Openbox with XFCE4-Panel.

It's a good combo of a very functional panelset/plugins with the lightness and flexibility of Openbox. Delightful!