PDA

View Full Version : Most Eudora-like e-mail program for Linux

timelord726
October 1st, 2005, 09:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of getting my mother to use Linux for as much of her computer time as possible. One major stumbling block in this process is her e-mail. E-mail is perhaps her most important use for her computer, and she currently uses Eudora for her e-mail.

I'm wondering what e-mail programs are available for Linux that are similar to Eudora in terms of user interface. My mother has already voiced her disapproval of Mozilla Thunderbird, so that's definitely not similar enough for her to use. Is there anything else I can provide her with?

Thanks for your help!

tseliot
October 1st, 2005, 09:15 PM
Evolution is my favourite program, did you try it?

timelord726
October 1st, 2005, 09:22 PM
I have tried it but my mother has not. I personally feel it is too similar to Thunderbird as far as its interface, so I assume my mother will not like it. I'm not entirely sure, and I will check, but I would appreciate other recommendations.

Thank you very much, though!

Brunellus
October 1st, 2005, 09:23 PM
Sylpheed?

What was so objectionable about Thunderbird and Evolution?

timelord726
October 1st, 2005, 09:24 PM
My mother is very set in her ways, and I was amazed that I was able to convince her to try Linux at all. I want to make the transition painless for her so she ends up using it as much as possible. With Thunderbird or Evolution, I know she will be resistant and encouraged more to go back into Windows.

tseliot
October 1st, 2005, 09:27 PM
Why don't you use Eudora for Linux then?

http://www.eudora.com/products/unsupported/internetsuite/download/

EDIT: oops, perhaps it's not the right one

timelord726
October 1st, 2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the link. That's the internet suite, though, unfortunately, and it's not the same thing. Last I heard, Eudora was working on a version for Linux but it had no release date and as far as I can see, it's not making that much progress.

Brunellus
October 1st, 2005, 11:05 PM
There comes a point in every migration where you have to abandon the urge to make things "exactly like the environment you left behind."

I found that my mother got very frustrated using a the rather Windows-like KDE 3.2 that shipped with SuSE 9.1.

The has been a lot happier with ubuntu hoary's gnome 2.10

The best part about this is that she knows that it's NOT windows, and so it's a lot easier to teach her how to do things the Ubuntu/Linux way rather than the other way around.

your mother doesn't strike me as someone who makes a great deal of use of the extended/expanded functions of most e-mail clients. i will repeat my earlier suggestion of Sylpheed, because it's simple, fast, and generally uncomplicated. If all she wants to do is send/read e-mail, and doesn't require any PIM functionality, there's a lot to love.

timelord726
October 1st, 2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks Brunellus. I will give her a try with one of these clients, like Sylpheed. Hopefully once she adjusts to it, she'll be more fair-minded about it. You are correct in that she doesn't need anything beyond send/read capability. Thanks again for your efforts.