PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu; designed by astronauts

Mr. Picklesworth
February 27th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Today, I was witness to yet another of those really, really irritating Colgate advertisements, where they tout the claim "designed by dentists" amongst absurd scenes featuring sparse sets and people dressed as dentists manipulating completely unrelated (but cheesey sci-fi looking!) computer interfaces.

...Then it hit me: Linux distributions could easily tout these claims with 100% accuracy in all kinds of sectors! After all, a lot of the work here is done by people with other jobs or other education.

Ubuntu; designed and developed by dentists, pet care experts, exterminators, medical doctors, pilots, aliens, psychiatrists, and rocket scientists... oh, and that geek next door.

The claim seems to do well for toothpaste, so that (raised to the power of ten) could be a worthwhile addition to our own marketing arsenal. It points out one of the benefits of being open, and (unlike most other efforts) is completely accurate in an absolutely direct fashion.

Do you know of anyone with strange / interesting / significant professions who works on open source software?

AnonCat
February 27th, 2008, 08:33 AM
"Ubuntu: designed by exterminators and aliens" Most of the uninitiated Windows/Mac users would probably agree unfortunately.

popch
February 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM
On reading the thread's title I thought at first that the tag line wound be something like 'designed by astronauts for rocket scientists'.

I find the OP's idea quite charming, but I do not know any Ubuntu developers.

Forrest Gumpp
February 27th, 2008, 09:25 AM
A significant source of raw data may reside here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=270435

If someone has the time, the responses could be collated, perhaps even within a database application. The advantage exists in that respondents are mostly forum members, and thus able in many cases to be contacted by posts or PMs if any updating of information is considered desirable.

Given that the initial responses have been entirely voluntary, there is every reason to believe most respondents would be just as co-operative should such follow up be seen as useful. It is just that many responses, those of students at the time they were given, are several years old now and would be much more valuable updated with current occupational details.

It would be quite a project.

aimran
February 27th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Mark did go to space after all :). So the thread title would be correct then ;)

kevin11951
October 6th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Mark did go to space after all :). So the thread title would be correct then ;)

i thought that was what this thread was about (before i actually opened the link of course :))