PDA

View Full Version : Python won't import GTK

soltanis
February 27th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I recently installed a python modification, Stackless python. It replaced the python executable with a modified version, I think (opening up python, the welcome message isn't the same, it says "Stackless python <version> <etc.>"

For some reason, python won't import gtk anymore. I've tried reinstalling python, python-gtk2, and python-glade, etc; all the applications which use python to make GUIs (which are shockingly numerous in ubuntu) don't work anymore. That includes the controls to my printer, which currently can't print since I can't access the printer configuration menu.

How do I fix this and get my python and gtk back?

EDIT:
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk2.0/
is empty. wtf?
I tell synaptic to reinstall and it does nothing. Attempting to install from source fails (I don't know why). What the heck? Can someone lend me their .so files for gtk?

dwblas
February 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM
You also want to check /usr/lib/pygtk. You may have to uninstall and then install the packages. The package manager may think that the packages are installed and so doesn't do the re-install.

soltanis
February 28th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I cannot uninstall python or python-gtk2 because there are too many dependencies, and apt-get/synaptic refuse to remove a package without removing all the dependencies. These include, just to demonstrate my point

ubuntu-desktop
openoffice.org
ubuntu-xen-desktop
envy

And a few other things that I'd honestly rather not uninstall.

prensing
February 28th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Maybe try:
apt-get --reinstall install python
or similar with other packages.

dwblas
February 28th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Check that you have something in /usr/lib/pygtk/2.0. That's the only package that I see that you didn't reinstall. Here is a link to the Ubuntu package if you have to install it by hand, but a synaptic reinstall should do the trick.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/source/pygtk